Support our Troops night

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Support our Troops night

I wish to get everyone's opinion on the Camo Uniforms and Support our troops night. There was a thread before the season started and it seemed like most people thought it was a good idea. I however think it has no place in the NBA, the sports community, or life in general. The problem with a slogan like "support our troops" is it can have two meanings. I recently had a friend leave for Afghanistan, and while I do "support" him, I do not support the cause of war. I wish to god he didn't join when he was 20 when he thought he had no options, but he did and is now "serving" his time. I would like to know who's idea this was, anybody know? Probably some politician who wants to promote the money racket that war is and get the average beer drinking, COD playing, naive fool to think that supporting our troops is a noble cause. Mix in some patriotism and some guilt and all of a sudden people are gung ho to kill the BAD GUYS.

I don't want to go too deep into this as I'm sure I'm going to catch some opposing views who see no harm in it, but there is harm. One doesn't have to look far in today's information age and look at the big picture of what is going on in our world. If it were a support our troops, bring them home, stop war its non-sense we're too advanced and we're all human campaign....then sign me up. But the grey area of a slogan like "support our troops" reads to me Loudly...SUPPORT THE GOVERNMENT"S AGENDA.

And that I cannot do.

If this gets removed or placed elsewhere I understand.

Thoughts?

Thank god someone said it.... thank you Sheptor i wanted 2 say it for quit some time now but never got around to doing it.

Comment

In general I agree. I think that sport and politics should never mix. Sport is where I turn to escape the world and get down to the very basic human instinct of competition. I like seeing people who are perfecting their craft compete at the highest level. That is entertainment for me.
      War has no place in this venue for me. I do not want to be reminded of the real world when I am trying to escape from it.
      I have always supported my friends who have fought for our country, but I have had a hard time supporting the cause. Some very clever marketing group decided this was a good idea, and I don't like it.
      Welp, that sucked.

Comment

I'm pretty sure it started out support those who fight for our freedom. Way back in world war 2 and the cold war. But, now it's like why do I want to support us being the US bitch.

Everyone knows the US want the oil and want to own as much of the world as possible. It's got jack shit to do with us. We're the idiots that give the US our resources and buy it back off of them.

I guess it's more support the men and women that put their lives on the line. Then again it's not like it's unvolontary anymore.
        If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

No offense, but this is like someone mad at mcdonalds for being a fatass. Your friend made that decision, and it's completely on him, you don't see all of us throwing our lives away like that and enlisting.

Comment

as canadians we aren't in a war or profiteering off of its destruction. i agree that supporting peace keepers is a good idea.

Comment

I think you're reading much too much into a marketing slogan. However, I do support our troops and those who have the guts to stand up for us.

Comment

We support the men and women, doing what they can to make our nation safe, and peace keeping, etc ... Doesn't mean you have to support the heads at the top, making the decisions.
                The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Comment

I agree with the OP. It makes little sense to promote "political campaigns" in a sporting arena.

I'm all for protecting Canada's rights and freedoms, but who are we kidding? Canadian troops in Afghanistan does nothing to make our country safer. If anything, it makes us more of a target.

More importantly, the camouflage uniforms are sure to make me nauseous...

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                    I agree with the OP. It makes little sense to promote "political campaigns" in a sporting arena.

I'm all for protecting Canada's rights and freedoms, but who are we kidding? Canadian troops in Afghanistan does nothing to make our country safer. If anything, it makes us more of a target.

More importantly, the camouflage uniforms are sure to make me nauseous...
                    the troops aren't the ideal

Comment

If anyone thinks that MLSE is not getting a cash grab out of this....

Besides the clothing and shoes just look hideous. The Leafs had their similar fest in January...I was there (a friend had a couple of freebies)....has anyone seen a Leaf fan walking around in a Leaf camo shirt?

Want to support the troops? There is plenty we can all do materially and communicatively rather than a "forced" and staged one off. The Raptors could setup a donation mechanism to collect funds and have a simple remembrance ceremony. What I witnessed at the Leafs event was over the top and not unlike what we witness south of the border. They even had a armored vehicle roll out on the ice with Tiger Williams in the turret!! Laughable.

Comment

instead of this they should have a retro jersey night. Put on the first ever raptor jersey's, that would be awesome. The purple ones with the raptor on it.

Comment

All the politics aside, I am glad the Raptors recognize and value the job of a Canadian soldier. Nowhere does it say "SUPPORT THE GOVERNMENT"S AGENDA". It is a grey area but if you see it as such... too bad.

I have been in uniform for 13 years and have recently received my Canadian Decoration medal for 12 years of continuous service in good conduct. I have trained troops who've gone overseas. They all went for different reasons, but none of them had this "SUPPORT THE GOVERNMENT"S AGENDA" idea in mind...

I will be in attendance tomorrow night and I am glad the Raptors account executives threw in the Wizards game on April 1st for free as a token of their appreciation.

Comment

akashsingh wrote: View Post
                            No offense, but this is like someone mad at mcdonalds for being a fatass. Your friend made that decision, and it's completely on him, you don't see all of us throwing our lives away like that and enlisting.
                            I mentioned that because I wanted to point out that there are two things to support..the troops, and the cause/reason. The slogan support our troops can mean both. TO ME it reads support the governments agenda or the CAUSE, but I also believe the cause is a false cause. I believe we know too much about human behaviour, politics, resource management, human needs etc. and are far too advanced technologically for war to be anything but avoided at all cost. We are moving into a new age where we must try and globally work together. Why don't we..I believe there are a number of reasons including resource acquisition and profit (tanks, bullets, equipment, fuel are all bought and paid for) and that most all wars have been for the same reason while the public and even the troops are lead to believe something else. Such as protecting our freedom etc. I am not mad at anyone for my friend enlisting and I know full well who's responsibility it was when he joined. I also don't want to preach but felt it important to further explain my views since you misunderstood my point the first time.

Comment

So, the OP doesn't think supporting our armed forces has any role in "life in general". Somehow, I think the objection here has little or nothing to do with the intersection of politics and sports.

As a side-note, what is it with partisans and their unshakeable belief that anyone who disagrees with them is either a knave or a fool?

Comment

Working...
                              X