Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Season is over, forget the negatives, what were the POSITIVES?

Post Thanks / Like

1. Casey's impact on the defensive end, without a training camp or any real individual defensive studs (no, JJ and Bayless are certainly not defensive studs).

2. Improvement of Bargnani (hoping his recent bad play is because of rust and the fact the Raps are out of it, rather than a true regression to his old self).

3. Drafting and development of Valanciunas.

4. Doing the rebuild/building right, hopeful of getting at least a top-5 draft pick in the upcoming draft.

5. Clearing and maintaining cap space to hopefully make some sort of significant move, via either sign and/or trade.

6. Getting something for Barbosa, rather than letting him expire with nothing in return (yes, I believe even a late 2nd round pick is better than nothing), while also becoming one of only a few teams with pre-July 1st cap space.

7. Stockpiling tradeable assets which, in addition to cap space (see #5), gives BC lots of options to make the team better in the long-term (ie: 2 2nd round picks, Bayless, Amir/Davis, possibly even DeRozan or Calderon's expiring contract).

Raptors Republic Starter Papa Burgundy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Positives of this year:

Evidence of a healthy Bargnani being an all-star type of Power Forward, with the potential to rebound and defend effectively.

James Johnson becoming one of the best defensive/shot blocking SF's in the league; with at least minimal offensive upgrades.

Jose Calderon adapting well to a tough defensive system, and distributing and shooting just as well as he has in the past.

The losing we're doing isn't as ugly as before. We're competing, and learning how to close ... and the losses are leading to a very high draft pick in a very gifted class.

Jonas, our starting C for the next 10 years, is continuing to look the part of an improving basketball player, capable of making a difference in the NBA. BC's franchise gem, a young, gifted 7-footer who rebounds and defends.

Aaron Gray showed that he can be more than just an end of bencher, if he wants to return ... another big who is deserving of a role, especially in certain match-ups. Nice problem.

And finally, the addition of another 2nd round pick for the draft ... another asset that we can use to facilitate deals, or movement in the draft. All of this being done in a fashion that also gave us $7.6M in cap space, a few months earlier than most other teams ... allowing us to absorb contracts from teams in 'sell mode'.

And I close with this:

"We're hearing FR Texas PG Myck Kabongo is leaning toward leaving for the NBA, despite being a likely 2nd rounder according to scouts."

http://twitter.com/intent/user?screen_name=nbadraftnet

If true, this would be another awesome thing to happen this year ... leading to Myck being our backup PG that we snag later in the draft - to pair with our first rounder, Bradley Beal.
    The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Papa Burgundy wrote: View Post
    Positives of this year:

Evidence of a healthy Bargnani being an all-star type of Power Forward, with the potential to rebound and defend effectively.

James Johnson becoming one of the best defensive/shot blocking SF's in the league; with at least minimal offensive upgrades.

Jose Calderon adapting well to a tough defensive system, and distributing and shooting just as well as he has in the past.

The losing we're doing isn't as ugly as before. We're competing, and learning how to close ... and the losses are leading to a very high draft pick in a very gifted class.

Jonas, our starting C for the next 10 years, is continuing to look the part of an improving basketball player, capable of making a difference in the NBA. BC's franchise gem, a young, gifted 7-footer who rebounds and defends.

Aaron Gray showed that he can be more than just an end of bencher, if he wants to return ... another big who is deserving of a role, especially in certain match-ups. Nice problem.

And finally, the addition of another 2nd round pick for the draft ... another asset that we can use to facilitate deals, or movement in the draft. All of this being done in a fashion that also gave us $7.6M in cap space, a few months earlier than most other teams ... allowing us to absorb contracts from teams in 'sell mode'.

And I close with this:

"We're hearing FR Texas PG Myck Kabongo is leaning toward leaving for the NBA, despite being a likely 2nd rounder according to scouts."

http://twitter.com/intent/user?screen_name=nbadraftnet

If true, this would be another awesome thing to happen this year ... leading to Myck being our backup PG that we snag later in the draft - to pair with our first rounder, Bradley Beal.
    With the hope he evolves in to the starting PG of the future? Sign me up for that.

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Papa Burgundy wrote: View Post
    Wonder if Colangelo is sending out some subtle vibes Kabongo's way about using our 50th-ish pick on him, complete with a guaranteed contract

My guess is that Kabongo and Colangelo are facebook friends (under Colangelo's online alias, "Shooter McGavin")
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe a keen management team holding a late 1st round pick is promising him big things through indirect channels? I mean Kapongo has Spurs at the end of round one written all over him if he opts for the draft.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Wonder if Colangelo is sending out some subtle vibes Kabongo's way about using our 50th-ish pick on him, complete with a guaranteed contract

My guess is that Kabongo and Colangelo are facebook friends (under Colangelo's online alias, "Shooter McGavin")
    50th?

He will not make it past the first round if he declares.

I would be targeting Atlanta. Cash strapped team with large salary commitments: 2 second rounders get them off the hook of guaranteed rookie deal and $3M cash helps them immensely.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    50th?

He will not make it past the first round if he declares.

I would be targeting Atlanta. Cash strapped team with large salary commitments: 2 second rounders get them off the hook of guaranteed rookie deal and $3M cash helps them immensely.
    If he makes it past the 25th pick, I don't think it would be too difficult for BC to turn the #35ish & #50ish pick into a pick in #26-30 range, in order to draft Kabongo. I could even see another team drafting Kabongo in that range for us, then the Raptors selecting a player for that team with their #35ish pick, with the teams flipping the players (and Toronto giving up the #50ish pick as a thank-you to the other team).

Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    Maybe a keen management team holding a late 1st round pick is promising him big things through indirect channels? I mean Kapongo has Spurs at the end of round one written all over him if he opts for the draft.
    The Spurs sent their 1st rounder to GSW as part of the Jefferson/SJax trade.

I think the teams that might pounce on Kabongo are Orlando, Miami, Indiana, or Memphis. All these teams will have high first round picks - and could use a PG 'for the future'.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote planetmars wrote: View Post
    The Spurs sent their 1st rounder to GSW as part of the Jefferson/SJax trade.

I think the teams that might pounce on Kabongo are Orlando, Miami, Indiana, or Memphis. All these teams will have high first round picks - and could use a PG 'for the future'.
    Memphis has Conley. He is locked up for another 4 seasons and is only 24.

Miami just spent $4M per year on s Mario Chalmers and have Norris Cole from last year.

Orlando is a very real possibility.

Indiana is a possibility. It doesn't seem like they are ecstatic about Collison. They do have AJ Price and George Hill as well.

Just my opinion.

Oh yeah, and don't forget about Kahn!

Post Thanks / Like

Although the results have been the same (record wise), the competitive level and toughness by all players is what has impressed me most. Haven't seen this kind of fire since the Oak Tree was here. Also, the professional attitude of players when it comes to being accountable and having each others back has been great to see.
    These things don't necessarily translate to a great product on the floor, but as this team grows within the system and more talent is brought in, the wins will come.
    People have hated on the idea of using this year to "change the culture" and "evaluate talent," but I think I can speak for all RR faithful -- it will be worth it when we start seeing this team put up more Ws and the playoff drought is history.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Memphis has Conley. He is locked up for another 4 seasons and is only 24.

Miami just spent $4M per year on s Mario Chalmers and have Norris Cole from last year.

Orlando is a very real possibility.

Indiana is a possibility. It doesn't seem like they are ecstatic about Collison. They do have AJ Price and George Hill as well.

Just my opinion.

Oh yeah, and don't forget about Kahn!
    I'm not sure teams picking at the back end of the 1st round are expecting someone who can make instant impact. I think any team in that part of the draft would be wise to take Kabongo. Kabongo might not be ready to make a legit high impact for three or four years.

Raptors Republic Superstar TheGloveinRapsUniform's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

One of the positives for me is despite the losing record and rebuild, the players still seem to have a camaraderie going on, no one is pouting or wanting to get star treatment, nobody has been reported as a locker room cancer.

You can see in close games, players are cheering and waving towels on the bench. Nice thing to see specially with a young team.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote tbihis wrote: View Post
    One of the positives for me is despite the losing record and rebuild, the players still seem to have a camaraderie going on, no one is pouting or wanting to get star treatment, nobody has been reported as a locker room cancer.

You can see in close games, players are cheering and waving towels on the bench. Nice thing to see specially with a young team.
    It could be that they're so used to losing that they're desensitized to it.

Post Thanks / Like

Tsk, tsk, tsk. Positives only thread, Apollo.

Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Easy to look around the league and find teams where the players just don't care when they are losing. Toronto is not there. I've always hated it when I see a team down by 12 with 6 minutes to go and the players on the losing side are joking and having fun with each other.

Raptors Republic Rookie Absinthe's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Love the effort that has been brought for majority of the games. That, of course, leads me to say that my biggest positive is what I'll dub the 'Case effect' - effort, energy, as well as commitment and accountability on defense.

Post Thanks / Like

So, any new positives now that the season is complete?

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The fact that Alabi isn't as much of a stiff as we once thought. He's much less of a stiff
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Post Thanks / Like

I liked Davis' play at the end of the year. Much more decisive. Finished better.
    @jerboat

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Davis was playing like a bawse. Alabi was blocking shots like serge ibaka and Jay Bay lit it up when he was starting too bad he got injured

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information