Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Season is over, forget the negatives, what were the POSITIVES?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

-James Johnson
    -Casey

That's about it.

Comment

I am happy the raptors are not winning high draft pick wooohooo its the only way to win if top free agents dont come

Comment

Casey
        Defence
        effort, and an ability to hang with the good teams
        J.J.
        J.V.
        A plan, and a promise that next year we will "hit the ground running"
        high pick in a good draft class

Comment

I'm quite surprised we've gone through this many posts without hearing the name Bayless!(pretty sure I didn't miss it) He's our Raptor version of Tim Tebow by the sounds of it lately! hahaha

But anyways, my positives are definitely the much improved defense and also James Johnson. I'm hoping he'll be here for a long time to come, whether it be starting or coming of the bench(preferably bench in hopes of a great draft pick this year).

ceez, I noticed you said Ed Davis. Just curious as to why? Most people, including myself, would say he's almost regressed a little from last year.

Comment

A lot of the improvements already mentioned I would credit to Dwayne Casey.
            I'd also add the 'compete level' in most of our losing games that sets up a wining mentality even if we're headed for lottery balls.
            in masai we trust

water covers 98% of the earth, Mitchell Robinson covers the other 2%

Comment

1. Casey's impact on the defensive end, without a training camp or any real individual defensive studs (no, JJ and Bayless are certainly not defensive studs).

2. Improvement of Bargnani (hoping his recent bad play is because of rust and the fact the Raps are out of it, rather than a true regression to his old self).

3. Drafting and development of Valanciunas.

4. Doing the rebuild/building right, hopeful of getting at least a top-5 draft pick in the upcoming draft.

5. Clearing and maintaining cap space to hopefully make some sort of significant move, via either sign and/or trade.

6. Getting something for Barbosa, rather than letting him expire with nothing in return (yes, I believe even a late 2nd round pick is better than nothing), while also becoming one of only a few teams with pre-July 1st cap space.

7. Stockpiling tradeable assets which, in addition to cap space (see #5), gives BC lots of options to make the team better in the long-term (ie: 2 2nd round picks, Bayless, Amir/Davis, possibly even DeRozan or Calderon's expiring contract).

Comment

Positives of this year:

Evidence of a healthy Bargnani being an all-star type of Power Forward, with the potential to rebound and defend effectively.

James Johnson becoming one of the best defensive/shot blocking SF's in the league; with at least minimal offensive upgrades.

Jose Calderon adapting well to a tough defensive system, and distributing and shooting just as well as he has in the past.

The losing we're doing isn't as ugly as before. We're competing, and learning how to close ... and the losses are leading to a very high draft pick in a very gifted class.

Jonas, our starting C for the next 10 years, is continuing to look the part of an improving basketball player, capable of making a difference in the NBA. BC's franchise gem, a young, gifted 7-footer who rebounds and defends.

Aaron Gray showed that he can be more than just an end of bencher, if he wants to return ... another big who is deserving of a role, especially in certain match-ups. Nice problem.

And finally, the addition of another 2nd round pick for the draft ... another asset that we can use to facilitate deals, or movement in the draft. All of this being done in a fashion that also gave us $7.6M in cap space, a few months earlier than most other teams ... allowing us to absorb contracts from teams in 'sell mode'.

And I close with this:

"We're hearing FR Texas PG Myck Kabongo is leaning toward leaving for the NBA, despite being a likely 2nd rounder according to scouts."

http://twitter.com/intent/user?screen_name=nbadraftnet

If true, this would be another awesome thing to happen this year ... leading to Myck being our backup PG that we snag later in the draft - to pair with our first rounder, Bradley Beal.
                The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Comment

Papa Burgundy wrote: View Post
                  Positives of this year:

Evidence of a healthy Bargnani being an all-star type of Power Forward, with the potential to rebound and defend effectively.

James Johnson becoming one of the best defensive/shot blocking SF's in the league; with at least minimal offensive upgrades.

Jose Calderon adapting well to a tough defensive system, and distributing and shooting just as well as he has in the past.

The losing we're doing isn't as ugly as before. We're competing, and learning how to close ... and the losses are leading to a very high draft pick in a very gifted class.

Jonas, our starting C for the next 10 years, is continuing to look the part of an improving basketball player, capable of making a difference in the NBA. BC's franchise gem, a young, gifted 7-footer who rebounds and defends.

Aaron Gray showed that he can be more than just an end of bencher, if he wants to return ... another big who is deserving of a role, especially in certain match-ups. Nice problem.

And finally, the addition of another 2nd round pick for the draft ... another asset that we can use to facilitate deals, or movement in the draft. All of this being done in a fashion that also gave us $7.6M in cap space, a few months earlier than most other teams ... allowing us to absorb contracts from teams in 'sell mode'.

And I close with this:

"We're hearing FR Texas PG Myck Kabongo is leaning toward leaving for the NBA, despite being a likely 2nd rounder according to scouts."

http://twitter.com/intent/user?screen_name=nbadraftnet

If true, this would be another awesome thing to happen this year ... leading to Myck being our backup PG that we snag later in the draft - to pair with our first rounder, Bradley Beal.
                  With the hope he evolves in to the starting PG of the future? Sign me up for that.

Comment

Papa Burgundy wrote: View Post
                    Wonder if Colangelo is sending out some subtle vibes Kabongo's way about using our 50th-ish pick on him, complete with a guaranteed contract

My guess is that Kabongo and Colangelo are facebook friends (under Colangelo's online alias, "Shooter McGavin")

Comment

Maybe a keen management team holding a late 1st round pick is promising him big things through indirect channels? I mean Kapongo has Spurs at the end of round one written all over him if he opts for the draft.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                        Wonder if Colangelo is sending out some subtle vibes Kabongo's way about using our 50th-ish pick on him, complete with a guaranteed contract

My guess is that Kabongo and Colangelo are facebook friends (under Colangelo's online alias, "Shooter McGavin")
                        50th?

He will not make it past the first round if he declares.

I would be targeting Atlanta. Cash strapped team with large salary commitments: 2 second rounders get them off the hook of guaranteed rookie deal and $3M cash helps them immensely.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                          50th?

He will not make it past the first round if he declares.

I would be targeting Atlanta. Cash strapped team with large salary commitments: 2 second rounders get them off the hook of guaranteed rookie deal and $3M cash helps them immensely.
                          If he makes it past the 25th pick, I don't think it would be too difficult for BC to turn the #35ish & #50ish pick into a pick in #26-30 range, in order to draft Kabongo. I could even see another team drafting Kabongo in that range for us, then the Raptors selecting a player for that team with their #35ish pick, with the teams flipping the players (and Toronto giving up the #50ish pick as a thank-you to the other team).

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                            Maybe a keen management team holding a late 1st round pick is promising him big things through indirect channels? I mean Kapongo has Spurs at the end of round one written all over him if he opts for the draft.
                            The Spurs sent their 1st rounder to GSW as part of the Jefferson/SJax trade.

I think the teams that might pounce on Kabongo are Orlando, Miami, Indiana, or Memphis. All these teams will have high first round picks - and could use a PG 'for the future'.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                              The Spurs sent their 1st rounder to GSW as part of the Jefferson/SJax trade.

I think the teams that might pounce on Kabongo are Orlando, Miami, Indiana, or Memphis. All these teams will have high first round picks - and could use a PG 'for the future'.
                              Memphis has Conley. He is locked up for another 4 seasons and is only 24.

Miami just spent $4M per year on s Mario Chalmers and have Norris Cole from last year.

Orlando is a very real possibility.

Indiana is a possibility. It doesn't seem like they are ecstatic about Collison. They do have AJ Price and George Hill as well.

Just my opinion.

Oh yeah, and don't forget about Kahn!

Comment

Although the results have been the same (record wise), the competitive level and toughness by all players is what has impressed me most. Haven't seen this kind of fire since the Oak Tree was here. Also, the professional attitude of players when it comes to being accountable and having each others back has been great to see.
                                These things don't necessarily translate to a great product on the floor, but as this team grows within the system and more talent is brought in, the wins will come.
                                People have hated on the idea of using this year to "change the culture" and "evaluate talent," but I think I can speak for all RR faithful -- it will be worth it when we start seeing this team put up more Ws and the playoff drought is history.

Comment

Working...
                                X