Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 101

Thread: Second Round

  1. #21
    Raptors Republic All-Star WJF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Posts
    1,356
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Papa Burgundy wrote: View Post
    "We're hearing FR Texas PG Myck Kabongo is leaning toward leaving for the NBA, despite being a likely 2nd rounder according to scouts."

    http://twitter.com/intent/user?screen_name=nbadraftnet
    Kabongo has really dropped on the draft boards. I think he will need some killer workouts to get a sniff of the first round, I am not sure he has the tools to maker that happen in individual workouts. You can't question his speed and passing ability, but his shot making will hold him back.

  2. #22
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    11,643
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Papa Burgundy wrote: View Post
    "We're hearing FR Texas PG Myck Kabongo is leaning toward leaving for the NBA, despite being a likely 2nd rounder according to scouts."

    http://twitter.com/intent/user?screen_name=nbadraftnet
    Damn, Colangelo needs to secure a late 1st rounder to insure he gets this kid! Maybe move both 2nd rounders plus a little cash?

  3. #23
    Raptors Republic Starter Papa Burgundy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    534
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    Damn, Colangelo needs to secure a late 1st rounder to insure he gets this kid! Maybe move both 2nd rounders plus a little cash?
    Totally worth it ... I like the plan ... assuming Myck declares.
    The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

  4. #24
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer Matt52's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    17,770
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    Damn, Colangelo needs to secure a late 1st rounder to insure he gets this kid! Maybe move both 2nd rounders plus a little cash?
    Is there an echo around here? :P

  5. #25
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    11,643
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Great minds think alike ha, ha.

  6. #26
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer Matt52's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    17,770
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    Great minds think alike ha, ha.
    And fools...... ahhh, nevermind.

  7. #27
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    11,643
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Never wise to be foolish by yourself Matt. You don't have anyone to toss under the bus to deflect attention then.

  8. #28
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer Matt52's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    17,770
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    Never wise to be foolish by yourself Matt. You don't have anyone to toss under the bus to deflect attention then.
    Did anyone fill Ed Stefanski in on that pearl of wisdom prior to his hiring? lol

  9. #29
    Raptors Republic All-Star Employee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NORTHCOAST
    Posts
    1,071
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Fab Melo!

    1. Because he has an awesome name.
    2. We need someone to replace Alabi as "project center who probably won't work out."
    Eh follow my TWITTER!

  10. #30
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    11,643
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Did anyone fill Ed Stefanski in on that pearl of wisdom prior to his hiring? lol
    That page got "misplaced" at the copier.

  11. #31
    Super Moderator thead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    2,294
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Robert Sacre should be our project center that likely won't work out

  12. #32
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    207
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote thead wrote: View Post
    Seeing as the same names come up over and over for our lottery pick. I thought it might be interesting to see if anyone sees any diamonds in the rough, a legit second round pick that could be a significant role player 3 - 5 years out.

    http://nbadraft.net/2012mock_draft

    Interestingly enough this mock has Kabongo going to us in the second round. I must say though if we hold onto both second rounders I fully support going after Sacre and Kabongo for some legit basketball reasons as well as it would be nice to have some Canadians playing for Canada's team. I could see Kabongo developing into a strong backup PG and Sacre being a fourth big possibly scraping for 3rd big minutes.
    Kobongo didn't do himself any favours during the tournament. He was woeful. He gave up about midway through the 2nd half. Literally walking on offense, no competitive spirit. To be fair I haven't seen many of his games this year, but he didn't look very good.

  13. #33
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    793
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    I expect absolutely nothing from the 2nd round picks. I anticipate that they'll disappear quickly, never to be heard of again. This is why I'd much rather them be packaged with a player or money to try and land a mid 1st rounder or to be moved for a prospect who's had at least a little time to show something in the pros.

    I will say this, the 2nd round isn't a place to be safe. You want to take the guys with the flags. Why? Because chances are the pick is a throw away and if you're going to throw it away you might as well do it on a "1st round talent if only such and such was different" type of player. Then you bring them in and if they make the team you might have at least a trading asset worth a lot more than the lousy 2nd round pick.
    Ditto.

    That's why I am unhappy with Colangelo for trading away a player I wanted the Raptors to resign for a measly 2nd round pick. Why risk losing the goodwill of a productive player who, at least publicly, said he wanted to resign with the team? I am sure the damage can be repaired but it will cost us ($).

  14. #34
    Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    5,678
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Hugmenot wrote: View Post
    Ditto.

    That's why I am unhappy with Colangelo for trading away a player I wanted the Raptors to resign for a measly 2nd round pick. Why risk losing the goodwill of a productive player who, at least publicly, said he wanted to resign with the team? I am sure the damage can be repaired but it will cost us ($).
    If I remember correctly, it was Barbosa's brother who made such a claim about him wanting to stay (not Barbosa himself.....actually, in this case, they're BOTH Barbosa's :P).
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

  15. #35
    Raptors Republic Veteran ceez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,143
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I doubt Kabongo falls to the second round in a draft that has very few PGs
    @jerboat

  16. #36
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer Matt52's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    17,770
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Hugmenot wrote: View Post
    Ditto.

    That's why I am unhappy with Colangelo for trading away a player I wanted the Raptors to resign for a measly 2nd round pick. Why risk losing the goodwill of a productive player who, at least publicly, said he wanted to resign with the team? I am sure the damage can be repaired but it will cost us ($).
    The trade created a lot of flexibility between the end of the season and the July 1st.

    Not sure if it will be used but it certainly creates more opportunities than the alternative of no trade.

    Also I am not 100% certain all GM's feel a 2nd round pick is a worthless - especially on draft night when their ego is telling them, "This guy is a sleeper!"

    Barbosa is also unrestricted. If he is wanted and the feeling is mutual, he'll be back.

  17. #37
    Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,855
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    It's hard to know what an athlete would prefer - the chance to play in the playoffs and for a title but on a different team - or the ability to stay at home and not be uprooted.

    As a family guy I'd prefer not to be uprooted even if it meant more salary/better location. But I'm not making $7M a year, and am not a professional athlete. Barbosa may have loved the fact that Toronto traded him to a contender. He may come back to Toronto as a UFA pleased that he was given that opportunity. He seems to be close to Bryan as well and so the trade may have been mutual. I don't think there will be any ill feelings, but you never really know.

  18. #38
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Manitoba
    Posts
    423
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    I doubt Kabongo falls to the second round in a draft that has very few PGs
    The draft is being looked at as weak on PG talent, but looking at to Mock Drafts we can there are several PGs who are higher rated then Kabongo:

    Chad Ford:

    9. Damian Lillard
    12. Kendall Marshall
    19. Tony Wroten Jr.

    Draft Express:

    13. Damian Lillard
    14. Kendall Marshall
    21. Tony Wroten Jr.
    28. Tyshawn Taylor

    To be fair, Draft Express still has Kabongo in their 2013 Mock Draft as few people until today anticipated that he might be coming out.

    But by looking at the similar rankings between the two, it seems fair to assume that both, at best, would have 3 PGs drafted ahead of Kabongo. I don’t think it is out of the question, after the season he had mind you, that Kabongo could slip into the second round unless he has wows someone in workouts.

    Also, some of the contending teams I think will be willing to sell off their late first rounders for additional assets. Would the 27th pick be able to be had for the 35th, 52nd, and some money? I think it could.

    It would also be possible to open this up further into a larger deal…but then we are just getting into other hypotheticals about who we get with our First Rounder.

  19. #39
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer Matt52's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    17,770
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Shantz wrote: View Post
    The draft is being looked at as weak on PG talent, but looking at to Mock Drafts we can there are several PGs who are higher rated then Kabongo:

    Chad Ford:

    9. Damian Lillard
    12. Kendall Marshall
    19. Tony Wroten Jr.

    Draft Express:

    13. Damian Lillard
    14. Kendall Marshall
    21. Tony Wroten Jr.
    28. Tyshawn Taylor

    To be fair, Draft Express still has Kabongo in their 2013 Mock Draft as few people until today anticipated that he might be coming out.

    But by looking at the similar rankings between the two, it seems fair to assume that both, at best, would have 3 PGs drafted ahead of Kabongo. I don’t think it is out of the question, after the season he had mind you, that Kabongo could slip into the second round unless he has wows someone in workouts.

    Also, some of the contending teams I think will be willing to sell off their late first rounders for additional assets. Would the 27th pick be able to be had for the 35th, 52nd, and some money? I think it could.

    It would also be possible to open this up further into a larger deal…but then we are just getting into other hypotheticals about who we get with our First Rounder.
    Of those players listed, the only one with passing ability and point guard skills meeting or exceeding Kabongo is Marshall.

    Kabongo is a fast, pass-first point guard who needs to work on his shot - much like Marshall minus the speed and athleticism.

    The rest of those guys are point guards who need to work on their passing - which is a common theme in the NBA.

    Give me Marshall and Kabongo over the rest - and I'm actually trying to be objective on Kabongo.


    BTW, NBA.com has their first mock draft with Kabongo at #27.

    http://www.nba.com/2012/news/feature...s=iref:nbahpt1

  20. #40
    Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,855
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The team that Toronto should target is Atlanta.. their pick would be the 19th in the draft now. They did sell their 2nd rounder to GSW already (to bad Toronto didn't swoop in on that one).

    That I think is the perfect spot to get Kabongo. That pick would come before teams like Indiana, Miami, Orlando or Memphis get their pick.

    Since Atlanta does not have a 2nd rounder.. I wonder if they wouldn't mind a trade for their 1st rounder for our two 2nd rounders (+ cash)?? We could even throw in Alabi

    I wonder if Bryan is even thinking about Kabongo at all. It's an assumption but makes a lot of sense. Bryan has said he's looking for a PG for the future. Kabongo is Canadian (which would please the fan base), and he was looking at Joseph last year.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •