Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 101

Thread: Second Round

  1. #41
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Manitoba
    Posts
    515
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Of those players listed, the only one with passing ability and point guard skills meeting or exceeding Kabongo is Marshall.

    Kabongo is a fast, pass-first point guard who needs to work on his shot - much like Marshall minus the speed and athleticism.

    The rest of those guys are point guards who need to work on their passing - which is a common theme in the NBA.

    Give me Marshall and Kabongo over the rest - and I'm actually trying to be objective on Kabongo.


    BTW, NBA.com has their first mock draft with Kabongo at #27.

    http://www.nba.com/2012/news/feature...s=iref:nbahpt1
    I would agree - I would take Marshall or Kabongo ahead of any of the others mentioned. But according to reports Damian Lillard is going to be the first 'PG' taken in the 2012 Draft, with Marshall the next to follow.

    This means that Kabongo could be competing with Tony Wroten Jr. and Tyshawn Taylor for the next PG off the board. Even NBA.com has Wroten being drafted before Kabongo (only by 2 spots, but still).

    Also, just because their is a lack of PG depth in the draft, does not necessarily mean that every PG's stock will rise. Teams could still look to fill other needs, especially due to the number of PGs that have been taken in recent years.

    This all being said, unless he wows during workouts it seems his ceiling in the draft is probably early-to-mid-20's?

  2. #42
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,616
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote planetmars wrote: View Post
    The team that Toronto should target is Atlanta.. their pick would be the 19th in the draft now. They did sell their 2nd rounder to GSW already (to bad Toronto didn't swoop in on that one).

    That I think is the perfect spot to get Kabongo. That pick would come before teams like Indiana, Miami, Orlando or Memphis get their pick.

    Since Atlanta does not have a 2nd rounder.. I wonder if they wouldn't mind a trade for their 1st rounder for our two 2nd rounders (+ cash)?? We could even throw in Alabi

    I wonder if Bryan is even thinking about Kabongo at all. It's an assumption but makes a lot of sense. Bryan has said he's looking for a PG for the future. Kabongo is Canadian (which would please the fan base), and he was looking at Joseph last year.
    Atlanta would be on my hit list as well.

    They do have a 2nd rounder though. They had 2 for 2012. The one they sold to GS was the less favourable of their own and PHX's.

    http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/dra...rafts/detailed

  3. #43
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,616
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Shantz wrote: View Post
    I would agree - I would take Marshall or Kabongo ahead of any of the others mentioned. But according to reports Damian Lillard is going to be the first 'PG' taken in the 2012 Draft, with Marshall the next to follow.

    This means that Kabongo could be competing with Tony Wroten Jr. and Tyshawn Taylor for the next PG off the board. Even NBA.com has Wroten being drafted before Kabongo (only by 2 spots, but still).

    Also, just because their is a lack of PG depth in the draft, does not necessarily mean that every PG's stock will rise. Teams could still look to fill other needs, especially due to the number of PGs that have been taken in recent years.

    This all being said, unless he wows during workouts it seems his ceiling in the draft is probably early-to-mid-20's?
    Sorry, I should have clarified I was giving my opinion and preferences. I realize what the people who know or are in the know are saying - and I hope they are right for my own selfish reasons!

  4. #44
    Raptors Republic Starter charlz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    The Lido Deck
    Posts
    640
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    I'd say Heslip is one of the smartest players in the NCAA. He just makes good decisions, and shoots the ball REALLY well.
    HOWEVER like so many others (dead eye heady sharp shooters) who light up the NCAA - they struggle to defend the wing in the NBA.
    "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

  5. #45
    Raptors Republic Rookie Checkines's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    67
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Obviously won't happen, but if this mock draft did come to fruition, and we landed Quincy Miller and Kabongo two players who if they stay in school would probably be significantly higher, especially Miller, I'd be very excited for the first time about 2nd rounders.

  6. #46
    Raptors Republic All-Star saints91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    London,ON
    Posts
    1,001
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I would even be willing to give a lottery protected or top 20 protected pick this year to grab Kabongo. If he does well in the individual work outs go get him.

  7. #47
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,616
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Checkines wrote: View Post
    Obviously won't happen, but if this mock draft did come to fruition, and we landed Quincy Miller and Kabongo two players who if they stay in school would probably be significantly higher, especially Miller, I'd be very excited for the first time about 2nd rounders.
    Of all the mock drafts out there, I would put the least amount of stock in NBADraft.net. Miller is a borderline lottery pick even at his current stage of development. Of all the 'credible' mock draft sites out there, NBADraft.net is the only one projecting a 2nd round for Miller.

  8. #48
    Raptors Republic All-Star RaptorsFan4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,753
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    No thank you to Kabongo. I'd much rather we focus all our effort on signing Dragic this season. He is far more proven in the NBA and has starter solid starter + potential.

  9. #49
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,616
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote RaptorsFan4Life wrote: View Post
    No thank you to Kabongo. I'd much rather we focus all our effort on signing Dragic this season. He is far more proven in the NBA and has starter solid starter + potential.
    Why not go for both?

    Kabongo won't contribute immediately and would be 3rd string. In fact, a bit of time in the D-League would probably be beneficial.

    This assumes Calderon is still around and healthy and Dragic stayed healthy too.

    Calderon only has 1 year left on his deal. Trade him sooner or later.

    Sign Dragic for 4 years.

    Kabongo would have 4 years on a rookie deal.


    BOOM.

  10. #50
    Raptors Republic Superstar Chr1s1anL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Posts
    3,981
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Sign Dragic for 4 years.
    I thought you didn't like score first PG?

  11. #51
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,616
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
    I thought you didn't like score first PG?
    I don't like PG's who cannot run an offense.

    Big difference.

  12. #52
    Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,826
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote saints91 wrote: View Post
    I would even be willing to give a lottery protected or top 20 protected pick this year to grab Kabongo. If he does well in the individual work outs go get him.
    hell no bro. I would never give up the lottery pick no matter how good kabongo does in the workout. We could easily just trade our second rounders and cash to a team who doesn't need their pick.

  13. #53
    Raptors Republic All-Star saints91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    London,ON
    Posts
    1,001
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    hell no bro. I would never give up the lottery pick no matter how good kabongo does in the workout. We could easily just trade our second rounders and cash to a team who doesn't need their pick.
    I said lottery protected or top 20 protected.

    Meaning if the Raptors were in the playoffs and were 21 last or better they would get the pick.

  14. #54
    Super Moderator Joey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    7,779
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote saints91 wrote: View Post
    I said lottery protected or top 20 protected.
    What are the odds the Raptors aren't part of the lottery this year ... let alone finish with a Top 20 Record?

    A lottery protected pick from this Raptors team, for this year, is worth Squat.
    In Masai we Trust.

  15. #55
    Raptors Republic All-Star saints91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    London,ON
    Posts
    1,001
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    for 2013 and it would also apply to 2014 if they still don't don't get the pick and so on. Usually the restrictions get lessens as the years go by. Are you guys new to protected picks?
    Last edited by saints91; Wed Mar 21st, 2012 at 11:02 PM.

  16. #56
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Manitoba
    Posts
    515
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I decided to go back and read through Chad Ford's analysis of Myck Kabongo. There is not much there, only a few entries, but the most recent entry speaks largely to Kabongo's draft stock.

    "The Good: Kabongo is a pure playmaker who can make everyone around him better. He's quick and he has a pretty nice jump shot.

    The Bad: Pure point guards need talent around them. Kabongo had a black hole -- J'Covan Brown and little else. He struggled in virtually every area as a freshman.

    The Upside: Kabongo is a much better prospect than he showed as a freshman at Texas. It just wasn't a great fit for him this year after most of Texas' talent left for the NBA. His stock has slid considerably because of it, but it wouldn't take him long to rebuild faith in his skills. This is a very weak point guard draft, and Kabongo is one of the few point guards in the NCAA with the ability to make an impact at the next level."

    http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft...6/myck-kabongo

    It appears that there is potential for Myck to go much higher then what his season showed, as has already been discussed here. The nice thing is that the Raptors do have assets to gain a pick. We have our glut of PFs, a Bayless sign-and-trade (potentially), and the two second round picks.

    I personally would love for the Raptors to take Kabongo and try to reach his high ceiling.

    PG: Calderon (or someone else if he's amnestied)/Kabongo (while he develops)
    SG: DeRozan/Forbes
    SF: First Rounder (Kidd-Gilchrist/Barnes)/J. Johnson
    PF: Bargnani/A. Johnson
    C: Valanciunas/Gray

    On this roster we would potentially have our PG of the future, our SG (if DeRozan can put it all together), a potential franchise SF (Kidd-Gilchrist), a match-up nightmare in Bargnani, and a potential franchise center. Not bad at all!

  17. #57
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,616
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Shantz wrote: View Post
    I decided to go back and read through Chad Ford's analysis of Myck Kabongo. There is not much there, only a few entries, but the most recent entry speaks largely to Kabongo's draft stock.

    "The Good: Kabongo is a pure playmaker who can make everyone around him better. He's quick and he has a pretty nice jump shot.

    The Bad: Pure point guards need talent around them. Kabongo had a black hole -- J'Covan Brown and little else. He struggled in virtually every area as a freshman.

    The Upside: Kabongo is a much better prospect than he showed as a freshman at Texas. It just wasn't a great fit for him this year after most of Texas' talent left for the NBA. His stock has slid considerably because of it, but it wouldn't take him long to rebuild faith in his skills. This is a very weak point guard draft, and Kabongo is one of the few point guards in the NCAA with the ability to make an impact at the next level."

    http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft...6/myck-kabongo

    It appears that there is potential for Myck to go much higher then what his season showed, as has already been discussed here. The nice thing is that the Raptors do have assets to gain a pick. We have our glut of PFs, a Bayless sign-and-trade (potentially), and the two second round picks.

    I personally would love for the Raptors to take Kabongo and try to reach his high ceiling.

    PG: Calderon (or someone else if he's amnestied)/Kabongo (while he develops)
    SG: DeRozan/Forbes
    SF: First Rounder (Kidd-Gilchrist/Barnes)/J. Johnson
    PF: Bargnani/A. Johnson
    C: Valanciunas/Gray

    On this roster we would potentially have our PG of the future, our SG (if DeRozan can put it all together), a potential franchise SF (Kidd-Gilchrist), a match-up nightmare in Bargnani, and a potential franchise center. Not bad at all!
    That assessment nails my thoughts exactly.

    If the Raps can acquire him with a 20-plus pick, it will be a similar case of luck as experienced with JV i.e. circumstance leading to quality pick at a slot lower than real worth.

  18. #58
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    95
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Why trade any picks, we've got two picks in the second round, seems like we may be able to get him with one of them without having to trade up. If someone else scoops him up first, oh well.
    The one and only

  19. #59
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    12,125
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I really don't see savvy teams like the Spurs and Thunder letting him slide into the 2nd round when there turn comes at the end of round one.

  20. #60
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,616
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    I really don't see savvy teams like the Spurs and Thunder letting him slide into the 2nd round when there turn comes at the end of round one.
    Nope. He has immense talent. He is projected as the 5th pick in 2013 by DraftExpress. Mock drafts mean little - especially over a year away - but it speaks to the talent he possesses.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •