Second Round

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Robert Sacre should be our project center that likely won't work out
    For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
      Seeing as the same names come up over and over for our lottery pick. I thought it might be interesting to see if anyone sees any diamonds in the rough, a legit second round pick that could be a significant role player 3 - 5 years out.

http://nbadraft.net/2012mock_draft

Interestingly enough this mock has Kabongo going to us in the second round. I must say though if we hold onto both second rounders I fully support going after Sacre and Kabongo for some legit basketball reasons as well as it would be nice to have some Canadians playing for Canada's team. I could see Kabongo developing into a strong backup PG and Sacre being a fourth big possibly scraping for 3rd big minutes.
      Kobongo didn't do himself any favours during the tournament. He was woeful. He gave up about midway through the 2nd half. Literally walking on offense, no competitive spirit. To be fair I haven't seen many of his games this year, but he didn't look very good.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
        I expect absolutely nothing from the 2nd round picks. I anticipate that they'll disappear quickly, never to be heard of again. This is why I'd much rather them be packaged with a player or money to try and land a mid 1st rounder or to be moved for a prospect who's had at least a little time to show something in the pros.

I will say this, the 2nd round isn't a place to be safe. You want to take the guys with the flags. Why? Because chances are the pick is a throw away and if you're going to throw it away you might as well do it on a "1st round talent if only such and such was different" type of player. Then you bring them in and if they make the team you might have at least a trading asset worth a lot more than the lousy 2nd round pick.
        Ditto.

That's why I am unhappy with Colangelo for trading away a player I wanted the Raptors to resign for a measly 2nd round pick. Why risk losing the goodwill of a productive player who, at least publicly, said he wanted to resign with the team? I am sure the damage can be repaired but it will cost us ($).

Comment

Hugmenot wrote: View Post
          Ditto.

That's why I am unhappy with Colangelo for trading away a player I wanted the Raptors to resign for a measly 2nd round pick. Why risk losing the goodwill of a productive player who, at least publicly, said he wanted to resign with the team? I am sure the damage can be repaired but it will cost us ($).
          If I remember correctly, it was Barbosa's brother who made such a claim about him wanting to stay (not Barbosa himself.....actually, in this case, they're BOTH Barbosa's :P).

Comment

I doubt Kabongo falls to the second round in a draft that has very few PGs
            @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Hugmenot wrote: View Post
              Ditto.

The trade created a lot of flexibility between the end of the season and the July 1st.

Not sure if it will be used but it certainly creates more opportunities than the alternative of no trade.

Also I am not 100% certain all GM's feel a 2nd round pick is a worthless - especially on draft night when their ego is telling them, "This guy is a sleeper!"

Barbosa is also unrestricted. If he is wanted and the feeling is mutual, he'll be back.

Comment

It's hard to know what an athlete would prefer - the chance to play in the playoffs and for a title but on a different team - or the ability to stay at home and not be uprooted.

As a family guy I'd prefer not to be uprooted even if it meant more salary/better location. But I'm not making $7M a year, and am not a professional athlete. Barbosa may have loved the fact that Toronto traded him to a contender. He may come back to Toronto as a UFA pleased that he was given that opportunity. He seems to be close to Bryan as well and so the trade may have been mutual. I don't think there will be any ill feelings, but you never really know.

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                  I doubt Kabongo falls to the second round in a draft that has very few PGs
                  The draft is being looked at as weak on PG talent, but looking at to Mock Drafts we can there are several PGs who are higher rated then Kabongo:

Chad Ford:

9. Damian Lillard
                  12. Kendall Marshall
                  19. Tony Wroten Jr.

Draft Express:

13. Damian Lillard
                  14. Kendall Marshall
                  21. Tony Wroten Jr.
                  28. Tyshawn Taylor

To be fair, Draft Express still has Kabongo in their 2013 Mock Draft as few people until today anticipated that he might be coming out.

But by looking at the similar rankings between the two, it seems fair to assume that both, at best, would have 3 PGs drafted ahead of Kabongo. I don’t think it is out of the question, after the season he had mind you, that Kabongo could slip into the second round unless he has wows someone in workouts.

Also, some of the contending teams I think will be willing to sell off their late first rounders for additional assets. Would the 27th pick be able to be had for the 35th, 52nd, and some money? I think it could.

It would also be possible to open this up further into a larger deal…but then we are just getting into other hypotheticals about who we get with our First Rounder.
                  http://twitter.com/m_shantz

Comment

Shantz wrote: View Post
                    The draft is being looked at as weak on PG talent, but looking at to Mock Drafts we can there are several PGs who are higher rated then Kabongo:

Chad Ford:

9. Damian Lillard
                    12. Kendall Marshall
                    19. Tony Wroten Jr.

Draft Express:

13. Damian Lillard
                    14. Kendall Marshall
                    21. Tony Wroten Jr.
                    28. Tyshawn Taylor

To be fair, Draft Express still has Kabongo in their 2013 Mock Draft as few people until today anticipated that he might be coming out.

But by looking at the similar rankings between the two, it seems fair to assume that both, at best, would have 3 PGs drafted ahead of Kabongo. I don’t think it is out of the question, after the season he had mind you, that Kabongo could slip into the second round unless he has wows someone in workouts.

Also, some of the contending teams I think will be willing to sell off their late first rounders for additional assets. Would the 27th pick be able to be had for the 35th, 52nd, and some money? I think it could.

It would also be possible to open this up further into a larger deal…but then we are just getting into other hypotheticals about who we get with our First Rounder.
                    Of those players listed, the only one with passing ability and point guard skills meeting or exceeding Kabongo is Marshall.

Kabongo is a fast, pass-first point guard who needs to work on his shot - much like Marshall minus the speed and athleticism.

The rest of those guys are point guards who need to work on their passing - which is a common theme in the NBA.

Give me Marshall and Kabongo over the rest - and I'm actually trying to be objective on Kabongo.

BTW, NBA.com has their first mock draft with Kabongo at #27.

http://www.nba.com/2012/news/feature...s=iref:nbahpt1

Comment

The team that Toronto should target is Atlanta.. their pick would be the 19th in the draft now. They did sell their 2nd rounder to GSW already (to bad Toronto didn't swoop in on that one).

That I think is the perfect spot to get Kabongo. That pick would come before teams like Indiana, Miami, Orlando or Memphis get their pick.

Since Atlanta does not have a 2nd rounder.. I wonder if they wouldn't mind a trade for their 1st rounder for our two 2nd rounders (+ cash)?? We could even throw in Alabi

I wonder if Bryan is even thinking about Kabongo at all. It's an assumption but makes a lot of sense. Bryan has said he's looking for a PG for the future. Kabongo is Canadian (which would please the fan base), and he was looking at Joseph last year.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                        Of those players listed, the only one with passing ability and point guard skills meeting or exceeding Kabongo is Marshall.

Kabongo is a fast, pass-first point guard who needs to work on his shot - much like Marshall minus the speed and athleticism.

The rest of those guys are point guards who need to work on their passing - which is a common theme in the NBA.

Give me Marshall and Kabongo over the rest - and I'm actually trying to be objective on Kabongo.

BTW, NBA.com has their first mock draft with Kabongo at #27.

http://www.nba.com/2012/news/feature...s=iref:nbahpt1
                        I would agree - I would take Marshall or Kabongo ahead of any of the others mentioned. But according to reports Damian Lillard is going to be the first 'PG' taken in the 2012 Draft, with Marshall the next to follow.

This means that Kabongo could be competing with Tony Wroten Jr. and Tyshawn Taylor for the next PG off the board. Even NBA.com has Wroten being drafted before Kabongo (only by 2 spots, but still).

Also, just because their is a lack of PG depth in the draft, does not necessarily mean that every PG's stock will rise. Teams could still look to fill other needs, especially due to the number of PGs that have been taken in recent years.

This all being said, unless he wows during workouts it seems his ceiling in the draft is probably early-to-mid-20's?
                        http://twitter.com/m_shantz

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                          The team that Toronto should target is Atlanta.. their pick would be the 19th in the draft now. They did sell their 2nd rounder to GSW already (to bad Toronto didn't swoop in on that one).

That I think is the perfect spot to get Kabongo. That pick would come before teams like Indiana, Miami, Orlando or Memphis get their pick.

Since Atlanta does not have a 2nd rounder.. I wonder if they wouldn't mind a trade for their 1st rounder for our two 2nd rounders (+ cash)?? We could even throw in Alabi

I wonder if Bryan is even thinking about Kabongo at all. It's an assumption but makes a lot of sense. Bryan has said he's looking for a PG for the future. Kabongo is Canadian (which would please the fan base), and he was looking at Joseph last year.
                          Atlanta would be on my hit list as well.

They do have a 2nd rounder though. They had 2 for 2012. The one they sold to GS was the less favourable of their own and PHX's.

http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/dra...rafts/detailed

Comment

Shantz wrote: View Post
                            I would agree - I would take Marshall or Kabongo ahead of any of the others mentioned. But according to reports Damian Lillard is going to be the first 'PG' taken in the 2012 Draft, with Marshall the next to follow.

This means that Kabongo could be competing with Tony Wroten Jr. and Tyshawn Taylor for the next PG off the board. Even NBA.com has Wroten being drafted before Kabongo (only by 2 spots, but still).

Also, just because their is a lack of PG depth in the draft, does not necessarily mean that every PG's stock will rise. Teams could still look to fill other needs, especially due to the number of PGs that have been taken in recent years.

This all being said, unless he wows during workouts it seems his ceiling in the draft is probably early-to-mid-20's?
                            Sorry, I should have clarified I was giving my opinion and preferences. I realize what the people who know or are in the know are saying - and I hope they are right for my own selfish reasons!

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                              I'd say Heslip is one of the smartest players in the NCAA. He just makes good decisions, and shoots the ball REALLY well.
                              HOWEVER like so many others (dead eye heady sharp shooters) who light up the NCAA - they struggle to defend the wing in the NBA.
                              "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

Comment

Obviously won't happen, but if this mock draft did come to fruition, and we landed Quincy Miller and Kabongo two players who if they stay in school would probably be significantly higher, especially Miller, I'd be very excited for the first time about 2nd rounders.

Comment

Working...
                                X