Roger Goodell slaps the taste out of Sean Payton's mouth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roger Goodell slaps the taste out of Sean Payton's mouth

The NFL handed down sweeping and unprecedented punishment Wednesday for bounties paid out on big hits, suspending New Orleans Saints coach Sean Payton without pay for next season and indefinitely banning the team's former defensive coordinator, Gregg Williams, who now works for the St. Louis Rams.

Payton is the first head coach suspended by the league for any reason. He is accused of trying to cover up a system of extra cash payouts that NFL commissioner Roger Goodell called "particularly unusual and egregious" and "totally unacceptable."

"We are all accountable and responsible for player health and safety and the integrity of the game. We will not tolerate conduct or a culture that undermines those priorities," said Goodell, whose league faces more than 20 concussion-related lawsuits brought by hundreds of former players. "No one is above the game or the rules that govern it."

According to the league, Payton ignored instructions from the NFL and Saints ownership to make sure bounties weren't being paid. The league also chastised him for choosing to "falsely deny that the program existed," and for attempting to "encourage the false denials by instructing assistants to 'make sure our ducks are in a row.' "

Goodell also banned Saints general manager Mickey Loomis for the first eight regular-season games next season, and assistant coach Joe Vitt for the first six games.

In addition, Goodell fined the Saints $500,000 and took away their second-round draft picks this year and next.

After the NFL first made its investigation public on March 2, Williams admitted to -- and apologized for -- running the program while in charge of the Saints' defense from 2009-11. He was hired by the Rams in January.

Goodell will review Williams' status after the upcoming season and decide whether he can return to the league.
    Source: ESPN.com

K.O.

Has Brees re-signed yet?
    Saints quarterback Drew Brees reacted quickly to the news on Twitter, writing: "I am speechless. Sean Payton is a great man, coach, and mentor ... I need to hear an explanation for this punishment."

Brees was franchised by the Saints, and by all the interviews he gave last week, he is not a happy camper. He was in the same situation back in '05 in his final season with San Diego. They franchised him back then and he went on to injure his shoulder in the last game of the season. They said he had a 25% chance at playing football again, but luckily N.O. took a chance on him and he's worked out great since...

I'm really surprised Payton got the whole season though! But by all accounts, he knew about it, didn't stop it, and then encouraged a cover-up afterwards. Roger ain't playin' around!

Comment

And there goes their shot at becoming the first team to play as host to a Super Bowl in their own stadium.

Comment

fuck the saints.
        If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Mack North wrote: View Post
          And there goes their shot at becoming the first team to play as host to a Super Bowl in their own stadium.
          like fuck they were. i couldn't even tell you a team right now that could. if i thought there was one itd be the pats.
          If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Comment

Saints are(were?) a very good team and the Super Bowl is in New Orleans this year. Why is it so hard to imagine they'd become the first? New England won't be getting a Super Bowl anytime soon, if ever at all. Warm climates and domes are the perennial hosts(save for New York in 2014).

Comment

LBF wrote: View Post
              fuck the saints.
              Somewhere I can sense Doc taking off his jacket and rolling up his sleeves for a throw down.

Anyway, I don't think Brees holds out or anything if he was franchised. He's beloved in New Orleans. They better give him $100M after franchising him or there will be some bad blood though. Manning just signed on to $96M with the Bronchos.

Comment

Who cares about the timing, this is very disgusting:

On the day that members of the Saints' brass will have their appeals heard for their roles in New Orleans' bounty system, damning audio has been released of Gregg Williams, the man who orchestrated the program, instructing his players to injure San Francisco 49ers players in their wild-card playoff game last season.
                Williams can be heard in the audio recording instructing his defensive players to injure quarterback Alex Smith, running back Frank Gore, tight end Vernon Davis and receivers Michael Crabtree and Kyle Williams.

According to Pamphilon, Gregg Williams pointed to his chin while telling his players to hit Smith "right there" and says, "Remember me. I got the first one. I got the first one. Go get it. Go lay that m----------- out."

Williams uses one of his favorite slogans in the speech -- "Kill the head and the body will die."

On Gore: "We've got to do everything in the world to make sure we kill Frank Gore's head. We want him running sideways. We want his head sideways."

On running back Kendall Hunter: "Little 32, we're going to knock the f--- out of him."

On Smith: "Every single one of you, before you get off the pile, affect the head. Early, affect the head. Continue, touch and hit the head."

On Kyle Williams: "We need to find out in the first two series of the game, that little wide receiver, No. 10, about his concussion. We need to f------ put a lick on him right now. He needs to decide. He needs to f------ decide."

On Crabtree: "We need to decide whether Crabtree wants to be a fake-ass prima donna, or he wants to be a tough guy. We need to find out. He becomes human when we f------ take out that outside ACL."

On Davis: "We need to decide how many times we can bull rush and and we can f------ put Vernon Davis' ankles over the pile."
                Source: ESPN.com

Comment

"On Gore: "We've got to do everything in the world to make sure we kill Frank Gore's head. We want him running sideways. We want his head sideways."

Guy belongs in jail, not in the line at a bank withdrawing money for a fine.

Comment

That man will never coach again - anywhere.

Comment

MangoKid wrote: View Post
                      That man will never coach again - anywhere.
                      you'd be surprised. There's fuckin guys like Graham James and shit that still coached in europe after being accused of molesting boys.

Not disagreeing with you. But, The man "Should" never be allowed to coach again, not, Never "Will" coach again.

that's the fucking problem.

Comment

Was he convicted? I mean people get falsely accused of things all the time. I could accuse you of assassinating JFK but that doesn't make you guilty. These coaches are guilty of promoting the injury of opposing players.

Comment

are you serious. you don't know who Graham James is?

http://www.google.ca/webhp?sourceid=...w=1680&bih=923

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/spo...146444145.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graham_James_(ice_hockey)

Comment

Ok, now I remember. Thanks for the refresher. Poor Theo.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                              Ok, now I remember. Thanks for the refresher. Poor Theo.
                              ya, he goes in depth about it in his book, very disturbing.

not to get off topic. but, to take an excerpt from his book.

He says... "I would rap the sheets so tightly around like a mummy, so there was absolutely no chance of him getting in and I would just pray and try to sleep."

can't believe that fuck only got two years in jail. back in 98 he only served 18 months of a 3 yr sentence and then he moved to europe and coached minor hockey over there. If I ever saw him I'd spit in his face.

Comment

Working...
                              X