Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tracy McGrady Believes He’s a Hall of Famer

http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba...hall-of-famer/

I honestly don't think he's in. Mitch Richmond has 20,000 points, and despite playing for a non-playoff team for the majority of his career, made it out of the 1st round twice in his prime and won a ring in his twilight. 6 time All-Star 5 time All-NBA...not in

Tom Chambers hit 20,000 points and isn't in. Cliff Robinson and Terry Cummings hit 19,000, Bernard King has a scoring title and 19,000+ points and isn't in.

Tracy has 18,000, and yes a nice prime, but he's never made it out of the first round of the playoffs.

All those other guys scored over or nearly 20,000 points, had All-Star level stretches of their careers but when all is said and done....they're not in. Tracy's resume doesn't really separate himself from that pack, in my opinion.

Terry Cummings scored over 23 ppg for 5 seasons in his career and slid way off due to injuries, like McGrady. He never won a scoring title, but was an All-NBA player in his prime, still had a nice post injury career and netteed 19,440 points and played in 110 playoff games. Including playing in Western Conference Finals and averaging over 20 ppg in earlier career playoff runs when his team had advanced past the first round.

Injuries can de-rail a hall of fame career and having a nice 6 year run can be forgotten. No one remembers Terry Cummings averaging 23 and 11 as a rookie, that doesn't make him a lock. McGrady shouldn't worry about getting into the Hall of Fame, if it happens, it happens, but I don't think anything he did separates him from the players I've listed.

not even close. "get his" players on bad teams don't get in. remember the speech when he went to the rockets about the championships he would win with yao.

mcgrady isn't even close to a hall of famer. maybe if there was a wing in there for egos and failure.

Comment

Miekenstien wrote: View Post
      not even close. "get his" players on bad teams don't get in. remember the speech when he went to the rockets about the championships he would win with yao.

mcgrady isn't even close to a hall of famer. maybe if there was a wing in there for egos and failure.
      Exactly. Now if he had stayed in Toronto way back...

Comment

Mack North wrote: View Post
        Exactly. Now if he had stayed in Toronto way back...
        if he had stayed with vince and they were able to build something maybe they both would have been able to do something with their careers. now carter is an after thought 3rd or 4th option on a contender and mcgrady begs for a spot on any team every year.

Comment

I will never forget this quote from T-Mac...

"It feels good to be in the second round" ---The Orlando Magic had a 3-1 advantage against the Pistons in the first round... Then they lost the last 3 games... Poof! Epic Fail...

Comment

Of course McGrady does. If he did not I'd suggest someone get him checked out before he does himself great harm. T-Mac is a selfish, self centered kind of player who's never put the team before himself. It's why he's never won anything, even a playoff series(early in the morning here, someone confirm?). He's an egomanic. His individual stats, while impressive for a window of time if this was the Yahoo Fantasy Sports Hall of Fame, are not enough. He and his cousin don't deserve in.

Comment

yeah, not even remotely. whats he done exactly? a scoring title? congrats, bud!
              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

I believe I am God's gift to women..... doesn't make me right though.

Comment

LOL he is not in for sure

Comment

Matt, are you gonna let grindhouse talk about you like that?

Comment

I can think of about 30 guys off the top of my head who are playing right now that I would put in above McGrady. And I'm thinking of guys like Chris Bosh who will never be in the HOF.

Forget about playoffs, he really only had 6 HOF years. So, the sustained excellence isn't there. I think he's in the Hall of the Very, Very Good. Just not the HOF.

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
                        Forget about playoffs, he really only had 6 HOF years. So, the sustained excellence isn't there. I think he's in the Hall of the Very, Very Good. Just not the HOF.
                        not even. flash in the pan. none of his impressive stats came from a team that could do anything. mike james had a pretty solid year when he was just shooting everything he touched. same thing for mcgrady

Comment

not even. flash in the pan. none of his impressive stats came from a team that could do anything. mike james had a pretty solid year when he was just shooting everything he touched. same thing for mcgrady
                          Ooh, I think that's underselling McGrady a great deal. He was a top of the food chain scorer for 6 years and was absolutely one of the best players in the NBA during that stretch. His teams failed in the playoffs but you can't blame one guy for that. He averaged 28/7/6 in the playoffs. He was All-NBA 7 times, 7-time All Star, top 10 MVP voting 6 times. Comparing him to Mike James? Sorry, that's simply ridiculous.

Comment

I hope Tracy makes it or gets some consideration at least. It'd be kinda cool to have a player the Toronto Raptors drafted to make it into the Hall of Fame. If he doesn't make it then hopefully Vince does, or Chris Bosh.
                            your pal,
                            ebrian

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
                              ...Comparing him to Mike James? Sorry, that's simply ridiculous.
                              That's the bitterness talking. :-)

Comment

Working...
                              X