Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 35 of 35

Thread: Weems to wait and enter restricted free agency in July

  1. #21
    Super Moderator CalgaryRapsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,333
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I hope Weems doesn't come back and I doubt he will. I seriously doubt the Raps are interested and given Weem's tweets a few months ago, it seems like he's not overly interested in Toronto either. If there was mutual interest, he would be in a Raptors jersey already.

    On a somewhat related note, I think the Raptors have been so bad that a lot of fans have fallen in love for some pretty average/backup type players. A lot of comments are made in several threads, about the depth that the Raptors will have next season. Personally, I wish BC would find a productive use for the team's depth, by somehow turning a few of these 2nd stringers into even one legit starting caliber player. The Raptors have loads of cap space, Weems' RFA rights, Bayless, Amir, Davis, DeRozan and 2 2nd round picks to use, in any combination that is needed, to acquire an additional lottery pick and/or a legit starter via trade(s). At the very least, in the case of Weems, his best use for the Raptors is as a tradeable asset ahead of draft night.
    Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Mon Mar 26th, 2012 at 01:05 PM.

  2. #22
    Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,035
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    I hope Weems doesn't come back and I doubt he will. I seriously doubt the Raps are interested and given Weem's tweets a few months ago, it seems like he's not overly interested in Toronto either. If there was mutual interest, he would be in a Raptors jersey already.

    On a somewhat related note, I think the Raptors have been so bad that a lot of fans have fallen in love for some pretty average/backup type players. A lot of comments are made in several threads, about the depth that the Raptors will have next season. Personally, I wish BC would find a productive use for the team's depth, by somehow turning a few of these 2nd stringers into even one legit starting caliber player. The Raptors have loads of cap space, Weems' RFA rights, Bayless, Amir, Davis, DeRozan and 2 2nd round picks to use, in any combination that is needed, to acquire an additional lottery pick and/or a legit starter via trade(s). At the very least, in the case of Weems, his best use for the Raptors is as a tradeable asset ahead of draft night.
    Totally agree on the "de-sensitization" to mediocrity some fans have developed. I mean really, we had a full, 2-week argument on Jerryd Bayless :|
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

  3. #23
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,663
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    I hope Weems doesn't come back and I doubt he will. I seriously doubt the Raps are interested and given Weem's tweets a few months ago, it seems like he's not overly interested in Toronto either. If there was mutual interest, he would be in a Raptors jersey already.

    On a somewhat related note, I think the Raptors have been so bad that a lot of fans have fallen in love for some pretty average/backup type players. A lot of comments are made in several threads, about the depth that the Raptors will have next season. Personally, I wish BC would find a productive use for the team's depth, by somehow turning a few of these 2nd stringers into even one legit starting caliber player. The Raptors have loads of cap space, Weems' RFA rights, Bayless, Amir, Davis, DeRozan and 2 2nd round picks to use, in any combination that is needed, to acquire an additional lottery pick and/or a legit starter via trade(s). At the very least, in the case of Weems, his best use for the Raptors is as a tradeable asset ahead of draft night.
    I could not agree more.

    The Raptors are a team full of solid reserves on very good teams. Unfortunately, those reserves are asked to start and play significant minutes.

    The starting lineup needs a huge injection of talent.

  4. #24
    Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,035
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    We had some fans claiming this team is "stacked" going into this season...
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

  5. #25
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,663
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    We had some fans claiming this team is "stacked" going into this season...
    It is hard to know what next season will bring without the upcoming off season. I do think there is a possibility the Raptors could be "stacked" long term, but, again, how does one guess what will happen over the next 5 months?

    Any notion of stacked will assume JV becomes an all-star as well as the 2012 pick, Bargnani is capable of what he showed early in the season long term, and another legit starter is added - in my opinion.

  6. #26
    Super Moderator CalgaryRapsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,333
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    I could not agree more.

    The Raptors are a team full of solid reserves on very good teams. Unfortunately, those reserves are asked to start and play significant minutes.

    The starting lineup needs a huge injection of talent.
    With all the assets that BC has at his disposal and the fact that he and Casey seem to prefer a fairly tight rotation, I can't shake the feeling that we are going to see a big move or two. At this point, I would guess that only Valanciunas, Bargnani and Calderon (and perhaps Kleiza, because of his contract) are sure things to be on the team next season.

    The Raptors have lots of assets for the offseason:
    - cap space
    - Weems' RFA rights
    - Bayless' RFA rights
    - at least one of Amir/Davis (possibly both)
    - possibly DeRozan (especially if a wing like MKG/Beal/Barnes is drafted)
    - 2 2nd round picks

    When you start slotting together various lineups for next season, adding draft picks and at least one free agent, you realize that the number game alone says that some moves need to be made. There simply won't be sufficient playing time available for all the 'depth' players on the roster, unless some big moves are made.
    Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Mon Mar 26th, 2012 at 01:29 PM.

  7. #27
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,663
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    With all the assets that BC has at his disposal and the fact that he and Casey seem to prefer a fairly tight rotation, I can't shake the feeling that we are going to see a big move or two. At this point, I would guess that only Valanciunas, Bargnani and Calderon (and perhaps Kleiza, because of his contract) are sure things to be on the team next season.

    The Raptors have lots of assets for the offseason:
    - cap space
    - Weems' RFA rights
    - Bayless' RFA rights
    - at least one of Amir/Davis (possibly both)
    - possibly DeRozan (especially if a wing like MKG/Beal/Barnes is drafted)
    - 2 2nd round picks

    When you start slotting together various lineups for next season, adding draft picks and at least one free agent, you realize that the number game alone says that some moves need to be made. There simply won't be sufficient playing time available for all the 'depth' players on the roster, unless some big moves are made.
    I agree with everything except who are sure things to be here next season.

    I think JV and a 2012 lottery pick (not necessarily Toronto's) are the only sure things on the roster next year.

  8. #28
    Raptors Republic All-Star Soft Euro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Utrecht, The Netherlands (Yes, that's Europe!)
    Posts
    1,920
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    I agree with everything except who are sure things to be here next season.

    I think JV and a 2012 lottery pick (not necessarily Toronto's) are the only sure things on the roster next year.
    I'd say not even the lottery pick is a sure thing; I could see BC trading the pick if we fall out of the top 5 (or so) for a lower 1st round pick and a veteran (with salary going back).

  9. #29
    Raptors Republic Starter Papa Burgundy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    559
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Maybe he won't be playing anywhere at the start of the season:

    "Sonny Weems suffered a severely sprained left ankle while playing for Zalgiris Kaunas, a professional team in Lithuania.
    Weems tweeted that Zalgiris is incapable of providing proper treatment for the injury."

    http://www.talkbasket.net/6677-sonny...ania-pics.html

    Grosse picture of his swollen ankle
    The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

  10. #30
    Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,826
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    next year we will be stacked like lays chips(couldn't find a better comparison)

  11. #31
    Raptors Republic All-Star Employee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NORTHCOAST
    Posts
    1,178
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I wouldn't cry in my sleep if the Raps signed him. Hell they could really use him right now. And for $2 mil a year or so it's not like it's killing the cap.

    Also worth noting: we've seen how Casey can magically turn people into decent defenders. The guy is a wicked athlete.
    Eh follow my TWITTER!

  12. #32
    Super Moderator ReubenJRD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, BC.
    Posts
    4,057
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Employee wrote: View Post
    I wouldn't cry in my sleep if the Raps signed him. Hell they could really use him right now. And for $2 mil a year or so it's not like it's killing the cap.

    Also worth noting: we've seen how Casey can magically turn people into decent defenders. The guy is a wicked athlete.
    I can honestly say Demar has been a better defender in his rookie season compared to the last two seasons.

  13. #33
    Raptors Republic Starter Katman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Burlington
    Posts
    242
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I don't think he is even worth the qualifying offer, given that that will create a cap hold and therefore reduce cap space to get a good free agent. Weems is just "a guy", they are a dime a dozen in the league.

  14. #34
    Raptors Republic Rookie Absinthe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    85
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Whoaboy! See ya Weems. I kinda like him, but I'll easily take JJ, and even LK over him.

    Thanks for some real dunks though!

  15. #35
    Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,434
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I was listening to the radio a few weeks back and they had Weems' agent on the phone talking about Weems and the Raptors. It seems that Weems is really not that happy with Toronto. Not much he can do about it since Toronto has his rights - but I wouldn't be surprised if Toronto just renounced him or just let some team take him without considering matching.

    I personally wouldn't care either way. Weems is a deep bench guy. If anything he'd just be more depth in case someone like Demar goes down. But we don't need him anymore. He's not a guy that is going to help you win championships or help you get into the playoffs.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •