Weems to wait and enter restricted free agency in July

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weems to wait and enter restricted free agency in July

Weems Sitting Out Remainder of Season: Sonny Weems, who signed with Zalgiris Kaunas in Lithuania during the lockout, will put off his free agency until July. Rather than returning to the NBA this season, he will sit out the remainder of the 2011-12 NBA season and enter restricted free agency this offseason. The Toronto Raptors will be able to match any offer he receives in July.

If Weems returned to the NBA now, he would find himself in the same tough spot as Wilson Chandler. He’s a restricted free agent, but the deadline to sign an offer sheet with another team passed on March 1. That means he would only be able to negotiate with the Raptors, who haven’t made it known that Weems in their plans. While Chandler was able to sign a long-term deal with the Denver Nuggets under similar circumstance, Weems would rather wait until July to weigh his options.

By sitting out for the remainder of the season, Weems can enter traditional free agency when more teams have money to throw around. Last season, Weems averaged 9.2 points off the bench for the Raptors.
    Source

Matt52 wrote: View Post
    I don't mind having Weems back.
    Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
      I don't mind having Weems back.

But where would you play him? It also depends on who we draft. If Forbes keeps showing what he has at the 2 that is probably Weems best position. And the 3 is probably what we might draft or sign a f/a. The best outcome in my view is to get another position asset or pick back in a sign and trade as a rfa.

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
        But where would you play him? It also depends on who we draft. If Forbes keeps showing what he has at the 2 that is probably Weems best position. And the 3 is probably what we might draft or sign a f/a. The best outcome in my view is to get another position asset or pick back in a sign and trade as a rfa.
        Like I said, I don't mind having him back, but it's not like it's also a preference.

2 = Demar, Gary
        3 = JJ, Kleiza

If we add a draft pick at the small forward (PRAYING FOR MKG), than we are wing loaded. If we add Weems, than he will play the two. Like you said.

BUT, IMO, I'd rather have a defensive shooting guard than another scorer at the two.
        Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Our wings have enough mediocre in them as it is, Weems should keep being a star overseas.
          The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

I will not resign Weems if its over the qualifying offer. We have enough bench players in JJ, Ed Davis, Kleiza and Bayless.Might as well use the 2 second round picks this year.

Comment

Sign weems only if the price is right. It looks like weems has improved his game and can make an impact, but no over paying for him. He is not needed, but would be nice. I think with him next year we could have one of the deepest benches, and that being said, he should make a role players salary.

Assuming our starters are Jose, Demar, Draft pick, AB, JV... our bench would look like...

Forbes, Weems, JJ, Ed, Kleiza, Bayless, Gray, Amir. That is some amazing depth across the floor. It gives us tons of flexibility in regards to moving a guy.
              Last edited by Red and White; Sat Mar 24, 2012, 05:55 PM.

Comment

we'd have to get rid of forbes or kleiza

Comment

I hate Sonny Weems.

Comment

isnt worth the Money Weems can rott for all i care...always hated that guy

Comment

Phat Farmer wrote: View Post
                      I hate Sonny Weems.
                      He slept with your girlfriend?

Comment

DoNDaDDa wrote: View Post
                        isnt worth the Money Weems can rott for all i care...always hated that guy
                        Yours too?

Comment

I don't understand the hate for Weems. I am a little disappointed he didn't do more with the opportunity he was given and he seemed to clown around during losses but I don't think hate is warranted here. But then again, to each their own.

Comment

Sonny Weems is the same boneheaded player he always was, the organization should show that btch the back of our hand if he is even entertaining the notion of coming back here, which I don't think he is.

Comment

only if he's a better 3 point shooter

Comment

Working...
                              X