Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Results 61 to 70 of 70

Thread: Observation from DeRozan sitting out

  1. #61
    Raptors Republic Icon mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    20,661
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
    That guy Harrison Barnes is pretty good too when he gets his feet set.
    True but he isn't going to create anything for anyone or himself.

  2. #62
    Raptors Republic Rookie Absinthe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    85
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    With Derozan in the line-up, the ball swings around to him and the offense goes into neutral. From there, one of two things happen:
    1) He shifts the gear by driving into the lane, resulting in either him losing the ball, making a basket, or drawing a call (or both). I know he draws contact, but that whistle isn't always friendly to him.
    or 2) He stalls by dribbling around for a few seconds, and passes the ball out.

    With Forbes, he has the handles to create a little penetration, sucking the D in, and is able to then kick out to the perimeter. He also can stretch the D because of his ability to knock down the 3. This is not something I recall DeMar doing much.
    On the other hand, Forbes won't dunk on anyone, but it seems he can find ways to cut to the basket and score off the glass.

    When we field Forbes at the SG and JJ at the SF, the offense benefits from spacing - having Forbes as a 3 point threat, and JJ as a cutter/slasher and mid-range threat.

    I still like DeMar out there, but it all depends on what your team composition is like, and it also depends on whether DeMar is committed to attacking the rim.
    I mean, if both your SG and SF aren't able to at least threaten with the 3 ball, then the defense you're playing against can stay closer to home, and that makes it all the more difficult for DeMar to score in and around the paint.
    Last edited by Absinthe; Tue Mar 27th, 2012 at 09:03 PM.

  3. #63
    Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,870
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Absinthe wrote: View Post
    With Derozan in the line-up, the ball swings around to him and the offense goes into neutral. From there, one of two things happen:
    1) He shifts the gear by driving into the lane, resulting in either him losing the ball, making a basket, or drawing a call (or both). I know he draws contact, but that whistle isn't always friendly to him.
    or 2) He stalls by dribbling around for a few seconds, and passes the ball out.

    With Forbes, he has the handles to create a little penetration, sucking the D in, and is able to then kick out to the perimeter. He also can stretch the D because of his ability to knock down the 3. This is not something I recall DeMar doing much.
    On the other hand, Forbes won't dunk on anyone, but it seems he can find ways to cut to the basket and score off the glass.

    When we field Forbes at the SG and JJ at the SF, the offense benefits from spacing - having Forbes as a 3 point threat, and JJ as a cutter/slasher and mid-range threat.

    I still like DeMar out there, but it all depends on what your team composition is like, and it also depends on whether DeMar is committed to attacking the rim.
    I mean, if both your SG and SF aren't able to at least threaten with the 3 ball, then the defense you're playing against can stay closer to home, and that makes it all the more difficult for DeMar to score in and around the paint.
    I've noticed that DeRozan has been passing more this season and especially when bargs is on the floor. He's had some nice passes and i'd like to see him continue that

  4. #64
    Raptors Republic Superstar ReubenJRD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, BC.
    Posts
    4,071
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    I've noticed that DeRozan has been passing more this season and especially when bargs is on the floor. He's had some nice passes and i'd like to see him continue that
    That's WHEN he creates though, which I don't believe he doesn't do enough, all I can ask from him is to CONTINUE to be aggressive.

  5. #65
    Raptors Republic All-Star saints91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    London,ON
    Posts
    1,026
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I think DeMar will improve. He has already developed a nice pull up jumper. The think I have noticed most is that he is moving without the ball a lot better this season. Casey is using him really well coming off screens. DeMar does need to improve his handles and his range, but I think it's way to premature to talk about giving up on him. He does a lot of things well, but needs help in a few areas. I think we will see a huge difference in his defensive abilities next season as well.

  6. #66
    Raptors Republic Superstar ReubenJRD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, BC.
    Posts
    4,071
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Absinthe wrote: View Post
    With Derozan in the line-up, the ball swings around to him and the offense goes into neutral. From there, one of two things happen:
    1) He shifts the gear by driving into the lane, resulting in either him losing the ball, making a basket, or drawing a call (or both). I know he draws contact, but that whistle isn't always friendly to him.
    or 2) He stalls by dribbling around for a few seconds, and passes the ball out.

    With Forbes, he has the handles to create a little penetration, sucking the D in, and is able to then kick out to the perimeter. He also can stretch the D because of his ability to knock down the 3. This is not something I recall DeMar doing much.
    On the other hand, Forbes won't dunk on anyone, but it seems he can find ways to cut to the basket and score off the glass.

    When we field Forbes at the SG and JJ at the SF, the offense benefits from spacing - having Forbes as a 3 point threat, and JJ as a cutter/slasher and mid-range threat.

    I still like DeMar out there, but it all depends on what your team composition is like, and it also depends on whether DeMar is committed to attacking the rim.
    I mean, if both your SG and SF aren't able to at least threaten with the 3 ball, then the defense you're playing against can stay closer to home, and that makes it all the more difficult for DeMar to score in and around the paint.
    At the end of the day the team won't win with their lack of talent. I've posted it already on this thread and another, a good basketball team will play TOGETHER, but they run through their best offensive threats.
    Look at a team like Denver, or Philly, they play the best team basketball, but when it's time to get over the "hump", they run through their best offensive threat, Denver runs offense through Gaillinari, and when Nene was there as well. Philly has a pair of offensive threats that can go off and score, score, score. i.e Lou Williams, Iguodala. That's why they're the best in terms of team/talent.

    Toronto has a lack of overall talent, and their only REAL talent is Demar Derozan and Andrea Bargnani. The team can't win without Demar in the lineup, we are 0-3, Demar had this problem when Bargnani was out, and was finally able to put the pieces of the puzzle together.

    The two players require ATTENTION, and so they're to throw different defensive schemes, players, and looks to disrupt the players, when one guy is feeling the attention defensively, the other will be able to create for themselves or other teammates. I.E Knicks game. Demar and Andrea have faced a MULTIPLE number of double teams this season, and we all know for sure, the greatest of players are disrupted offensively and can't produce when faced by those things (unless your fucking Michael Jordan), so you get the ball out of the hands of the threat, and it lands in another's hands. If it lands in a unreliable offensive player like IMO James Johnson, Ed Davis, Amir Johnson, Aaron Gray, than they've done their job. But if that ball is swung or passed towards Andrea (if Demar is in doubled situation) than you can count a basket, because the floor opens up, and depending where he is on the floor, someone is open, pass, shoot whatever the right play is made, it's going to happen through
    your BEST offensive players.

    Forbes can most definitely be a starter in this league, but he's not the individual talent that Demar is that can win us games. Demar isn't as skilled as Forbes, but Demar just has something where he can just turn it on, and just produce. Even when he's not producing, he's become a better player at doing other things when the shot's not falling, just the attention he requires is enough to get us a game.

  7. #67
    Raptors Republic Superstar ReubenJRD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, BC.
    Posts
    4,071
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Oh, yeah, and another thing. Forbes is a player with MULTIPLE mental lapses defensively, and Demar's defensive strength IMO is following shooters, it's one thing I've observed watching Derozan throughout his 3 years. Forbes is as average as Demar defensively one-on-one, but both can shut down players when they choose too.

    I've already said this as well, Forbes is a creator, Demar is a producer. LeBron is a creator, Kobe is a producer. (Hopefully that gives you more of an idea of what I'm trying to say).

  8. #68
    Raptors Republic Rookie Absinthe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    85
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I see, said the blind man.

  9. #69
    Raptors Republic Superstar ReubenJRD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, BC.
    Posts
    4,071
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Absinthe wrote: View Post
    I see, said the blind man.
    Just pointing something out that gives you a thought of the two players and the overall look of the team.

  10. #70
    Raptors Republic Rookie Demar_8756's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    54
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I had to make an account just to reply in this thread, LOL......Anyways I Wouldn`t let go of DeMar, never! No matter what you see now, we must learn something from the past and that is to keep our stars. Let`s not forget that this team is all about the future, so what if DeMar hasn`t been meeting the expectations, this team has gone through so many different changes. We finally have a great coach in Dwayne Casey who I really believe can implement an identity in this team, a team that no one can push around anymore in the league, a team that will fight to the end which I have seen the raptors do too even the best teams in the league. This year I see alot of improvement from last year when Jay triano was the coach. Demar will develop because this guy just wants to get better, he wants to be the best, u can just tell in way he plays...this guy has so much heart for the game and stats can't calculate that! I wouldn`t get so excited about a player reallly lighting it up over the past few games, sure Gary Forbes adds a whole new dynamic for the team but lets not even think about giving away DeMar. I remeber in the past, whenever a player has his good moment with the Raptors, the fans would go crazy and believe he is "the answer" or something. I remember when Pops mensah bonsu was the shit after he made his debut, now what happened to him? GONE! It has happened before, lets not give into the hype again. The raptors are a good team but we can't let go of our assets just how they done so many times in the past. The team will prospers under Dwayne Casey coaching system and his vision of the team.

    BTW DeMar DeRozan will be the best player in the league!! haha

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •