March 26 - Dwightville Howards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• March 26 - Dwightville Howards

I heard that if Orlando changed the name of the city - not franchise, city - to Dwightville and the name of the franchise to Howards he might consider staying past 2012-13. The sad part is everyone involved is seriously considering it.

Anyways, as for tonight's matchup, ESPN Preview:

Orlando Magic coach Stan Van Gundy couldn't have been any more displeased with his team following a loss to the NBA leaders last week.

Van Gundy is now feeling much better about his team's prospects.

The Magic go for a third straight victory Monday night when the Toronto Raptors open a five-game stretch at Air Canada Centre following a tough last-second defeat.

With a chance to win the season series and make a statement against the league-best Chicago Bulls before a possible Eastern Conference playoff pairing, Orlando (31-18) lost for the third time in four games last Monday, 85-59. It matched the third-lowest scoring effort in Magic history.

"I mean, it's everything," Van Gundy said when asked what issue his team needs to fix.

The Magic have turned things around nicely, winning two straight to cap a three-game homestand.

While turnovers remain a concern -- the club is averaging 19.2 in the last five games -- Orlando has hit 23 of 58 from 3-point range over the last two contests while holding opponents to an average of 86.5 points.

"We've got to play a little bit better when we have a lead but our effort the last two games and our focus on the defensive end of the floor has been very, very good," Van Gundy said after Friday's 93-80 victory over Cleveland.

Dwight Howard has been outstanding in his career at Toronto. He's averaged 30.4 points with 11.7 rebounds in his last seven visits after scoring 36 points with 13 boards in a 92-88 victory March 5.

Howard's average of 23.9 points in Toronto is his best on the road against any team.

The Raptors (16-33) could also have their hands full with Ryan Anderson, who is averaging 21.5 points -- second to Howard's 27.5 -- and 9.0 rebounds in two victories in this series in 2011-12.

Anderson, the league leader in 3-pointers made (135) and attempted (331), has been one of the keys to the Magic's last two wins, scoring 46 points on 10-of-23 shooting from long distance.

"I think (the playoffs are) definitely on our minds," he said Friday. "When we huddle it up after the game that's one thing we focus on, just getting better because it's crunch time."

At 12th in the East and with four losses in five games, the Raptors aren't likely headed to the playoffs. But they put quite a scare into the Bulls on the road Saturday before falling 102-101 in overtime.

James Johnson, who finished with 20 points and eight boards, recorded his fourth block in the final seconds, but Bulls forward Luol Deng's putback before the buzzer was the difference.

"That's the microcosm of the season," Raptors coach Dwane Casey said.

It's uncertain if DeMar DeRozan will return to the lineup after having his streak of 130 consecutive games played snapped on Saturday due to a left ankle injury. Jerryd Bayless (left hip pointer) is also questionable after missing the last two contests.

DeRozan has averaged 20.0 points versus Orlando this season after finishing with a team-best 23 earlier this month. Bayless had 15 points, six rebounds and five assists in 23 minutes off the bench.

Andrea Bargnani missed that game with a calf injury, but he scored 28 points and grabbed seven rebounds -- both team highs -- in a 102-96 loss in Orlando on Jan. 1.

The Raptors, who beat New York on Friday at the Air Canada Centre, haven't won two home games in a row since Dec. 1 and 3, 2010.

The Magic, winners of four of five in Toronto, are trying to prevent their first three-game road losing streak since March 28-April 3.
    No word as of yet on DD or Bayless.

Give DD & Bayless some more rest :-)

Comment

Bayless, Kleiza and Magloire were amazing in the 1st.

Comment

Kleiza is on fire.. Lovin how the magic commentators aren't completely biased lol

Comment

LOL at glen davis

Comment

Lovin' me some Kleiza, but not really a big fan of his game. Hurts the team even more without Derozan, Johnson. Our two best wing players. Just a total hurt.
            Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

My bad he's on the court, lol..

Comment

Ryan Anderson is a more effective player than Bargnani. Not more talented or skilled, just more effective.

Valancunias and Davis/Robinson (please god) can't get here fast enough.

Comment

I'm starting to look forward to drafting either Gilchrist or Davis/Robinson. Bargnani may be afraid to be re-injured, but you should always leave 100% on the floor even if your body is at 50%. He doesn't look like he gives a shit.

Comment

Bargs does look reluctant out there. Hopefully he comes out next year the way he started this year.

On another note, it looks like we are throwing this game.

Comment

Wait I thought we were better without Demar?

Comment

Anyone see Turkoglu approaching the baseline at the start of the 2nd half and SVG go after him and pull him away by the jersey? I'd like to know what that was about. Turkoglu didn't look like he was joking around and SVG didn't look amused to be going after him.

Comment

poor turk. someone hurt his feelings.

Comment

Goodness you know there is something wrong when Ryan Anderson out plays Andrea Bargnani. I don't care if you missed 20 games, he's been back for 10 now, has had a good amount of playing time, been participating in practice, there should be no excuses. Ryan Anderson is a very good player, but no where near the talent of Bargnani.

Being out of shape as well should not be an excuse this late now into his return from injury, leave 100% on the floor, and tell the coach you're tired. Dwane Casey said that in an MGD "nothing to hide" huddle, it's about time we see a consistent effort from Andrea Bargnani...

Just disappointing, enough of people saying, oh, Andrea will come up big next game, well don't expect too much now. Obviously I would love to have Andrea prove me wrong, but it looks like he's going back to the Andrea of old.

Anthony Davis........

Comment

Fucking pizza ed davis.

Comment

Working...
                              X