Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's Missing from Raptors Republic This Season?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nilanka wrote: View Post
    The only problem with this is that Bargnani is still auditioning for a spot on the roster next season. Management needs to be 100% sure what he's capable of providing this team over the next 4 years. And he's done nothing to cement their decision either way. Is he a cornerstone, or is he a trade asset? After 6 years, nobody can answer that with any certainty. Hence the reason we can't afford to sit him.

This summer is arguably the biggest offseason in franchise history. If Colangelo doesn't turn things around and make us into a competitive basketball team in 2012-13, he doesn't get extended, we start the search for a new GM, who wants his own coach and players that fit his personal philosophy, and as a result, the "rebuild" is postponed another 2-3 years. I personally don't think the fanbase will put up with 3 more years of 20-win basketball. The ACC will get emptier, and emptier, and for the first time in 19 years, we might start to hear rumblings of the Seattle Raptors. All of this starts and ends with a decision on Bargnani this summer.
    Partially agree. IMO, the Raps already know what they can get out of Bargnani. He's shown he can defend and rebound even after 5 years of supposedly not being able to. He's is definitely not the piece, but is definitely "a" piece that the Raps can move forward with. The way they set plays and the way he is discussed by Casey and by the canadian media, i still think he is regarded as the franchise player of this team whether we, us fans, like it or not. IMO, the Raps are convinced he is a Raptor, well, up until a super deal comes up that could include him. But thats true for every player in the league anyways.

This i fully agree with and i've reiterated this many times here. this is offseason is the best chance the Raptors has to solidify the rebuild. if they dont establish the core before the start of next season, IMO, we're in for another rebuild.

Comment

The losing wears on you. No sense complaining about them being bad when you knew they were going to be bad. For me, it also has to do with the fact that most of the guys on this team need to be replaced before this team gets good. It's why I can't get worked up about Bargs, or Calderon vs. Bayless, or Derozan. None of these guys are irreplaceable or part of the long term success story here, so why worry too much about how they play? The Raps are stil in tear down mode. Give me JV and a top 5 pick and a couple good trades, then I'll get more invested in wins/losses/performance, etc.

As for the site, I miss the podcasts and the posting on the main page seems lighter than the last couple years. The biggest issue is that the comments section is just terrible now to the point where I avoid the main page altogether. Too many trolls, too many idiots. Still like the boards.

Comment

What will we complain about next season when we make the playoffs? lol

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
          Bargnani, of course.

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
            Sounds like a good thread to start, hahahaha

Comment

Tim W. still runs his own blog http://www.wearingfilm.com/picketfence/ which I still check out from time to time. We should all raid it and tell him to come back to the Republic

Comment

The front page comments are embarassing, for the most part. I guess there's a tradeoff to making people accountable for what they say by requiring registration -- in that the volume might decrease -- but it would probably improve the quality of the comments. I honestly don't think there's anything to be lost by removing/banning comments/commenters who constantly post the same drivel, though. Something the powers-that-be might consider.

The forums, on the other hand, are great for the most part. The effort it takes people to register and post seems to make them stop and think a bit before ranting. I certainly haven't found a better forum on the web for Raptors discussion.

Tim W. should come back. I didn't agree with his polar position on Bargnani, and still don't, but at least he took the time to consider his opinion and present it thoughtfully. I still see him comment on Raptorblog every now and then, so he must still be interested...
                Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Comment

I don't remember Bargnani ever struggling for such an extended length of time on offense. His shooting since he came back is 33% from the field and 15% from beyond the three point line. I know it's almost tradition to kill the guy, but those stats are abnormal. And hard to explain. For all his faults, we know the man can shoot.

Comment

Michel G wrote: View Post
                    I don't remember Bargnani ever struggling for such an extended length of time on offense. His shooting since he came back is 33% from the field and 15% from beyond the three point line. I know it's almost tradition to kill the guy, but those stats are abnormal. And hard to explain. For all his faults, we know the man can shoot.
                    I'm sure his confidence has been shaken. But he's also not doing himself any favours by continuously operating so far away from the basket. A concentrated effort to get him more post-up opportunities would probably help.

Comment

While we're at it, I just want to thank all you guys for coming here and contributing the amount that you do. I've been MIA for the most part for the last year and a half (having my first child and starting a new job can do that to a person), but I'm amazed at the participation and the maturity (except heinz ..... I kid) at this forum and the lack of moderation we the staff actually have to do here.

Kudos to you guys for making our lives much easier here.

Oh ya, Tim W if your reading this, please come home.

Comment

Tim W !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

draftedraptor wrote: View Post
                          Bargnani is a 6th man at best. Not fit to lace Nowitzki's size 12 boots.

BC is useless and would never be a GM if not for his daddy

We must sign James Harden and Ibaka

----------------
                          How about that?
                          Try size 16 - size 12 would be ballet slippers for the Dirkmeister

Comment

Doc Naismith wrote: View Post
                            While we're at it, I just want to thank all you guys for coming here and contributing the amount that you do. I've been MIA for the most part for the last year and a half (having my first child and starting a new job can do that to a person), but I'm amazed at the participation and the maturity (except heinz ..... I kid) at this forum and the lack of moderation we the staff actually have to do here.

Kudos to you guys for making our lives much easier here.

Oh ya, Tim W if your reading this, please come home.
                            Hug? hahaha

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
                              The losing wears on you. No sense complaining about them being bad when you knew they were going to be bad. For me, it also has to do with the fact that most of the guys on this team need to be replaced before this team gets good. It's why I can't get worked up about Bargs, or Calderon vs. Bayless, or Derozan. None of these guys are irreplaceable or part of the long term success story here, so why worry too much about how they play? The Raps are stil in tear down mode. Give me JV and a top 5 pick and a couple good trades, then I'll get more invested in wins/losses/performance, etc.

As for the site, I miss the podcasts and the posting on the main page seems lighter than the last couple years. The biggest issue is that the comments section is just terrible now to the point where I avoid the main page altogether. Too many trolls, too many idiots. Still like the boards.
                              ^This^.

Besides the personal time constraints of running a startup, the Raptors' shouty marketing + futility + muddy future have worn me out a little. It doesn't help that I got nba.tv. The game is so full of talent right now that it leaves me a little bitter regarding our lack of it.

Comment

I actually somehow don't see any comments on the front page. I think it's because I'm reading this at work and they've blocked Disqus somehow. All I see is a link that says "No Raps", on every single post.
                                your pal,
                                ebrian

Comment

Working...
                                X