Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SVG disses Raptor's fans pizza promotion

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ba...181042887.html

"I mean, everybody's on their feet, standing ovation and the whole thing and then a guy in the crowd next to me sitting baseline said everybody gets a free pizza, so I guess that was exciting," Van Gundy said. "That was the loudest the crowd was all night. They were into that. That was a big basket by Ed Davis. They're going to put that on the highlight film at the end of the year. I was like, 'Wow, what happened, I thought they had like an 18-point play and tied the game or something."

At that point, Van Gundy was informed the fans did not get an entire pizza; just a slice.

"Really? We got a standing ovation for a slice? They told me they got a free pizza. A slice? A slice you have to sit in your seat and clap; you can't stand up on a slice, that's bad etiquette."
    Hard to argue against his assessment, they really should have scrapped the promotion a long time ago or changed it for a better use like some other teams:

Some teams do it right. The Chicago Bulls smartly amended their promotion by making it so that the Bulls had to score 100 points and win in order for their fans to get a sandwich. The Los Angeles Lakers base their promotions on holding teams under 100 points. The teams, by and large, have done their job.
    Last edited by Hotshot; Wed Mar 28, 2012, 01:24 AM.

Let's put this in perspective. Some of these ticket stubs are collected at the end of games and donated to local homeless people so they can get a a hot meal. Who gives a crap how they get it. The raptos should do more to collect up the tickets.

Who cares what Van Gundy thinks.

Comment

Im a complete sucker for a great defensive performance. I would love to see the raps go to a " keep your opponent under 100 points" reward system, and i really like the charity aspect of it. Wasnt aware that was happening.

If youre gonna change the "culture" so to speak, lets change the whole thing.

Not that it would probably effect the players much directly, but think of how much the crowd would go nuts when the opponent is creeping back in towards that 100 point mark, and we get a big stop? tell me that the players arent gonna get fired up on the defensive end.

Comment

^
        Agreed. Getting it via a Raptors defensive performance makes much more sense synergy wise for the team's philosophy.

Gotta say though, while I was amused by SVG's comments and the event in general, at least the fans (and others, as Katman pointed out) got something out of a completely botched game. Can not blame them at all.

Comment

I don't really care about this but it is bad form to have the fans going nuts when the team is down by 20. I have always wondered why they just don't do it every time Toronto wins. That makes way more sense. I also like the Bulls and Lakers ideas. Though, given that Casey is the coach, Pizza Pizza may not like the <100 points plan...

Comment

I can see the flaw in the promotion. This is an old idea built around an old system focused on scoring and not on playing the two way game. I like the Lakers promotion where if they hold the other team to under 100 point the fans then get something free. Although with Casey at the helm they better make it 95 or 90... We don't want to see anybody go out of business, do we?

Comment

Didn't they alter the promotion during the Kevin O'Neil era?

Comment

SVG is awesome, I love that he said something. It gets a bit much some times. You here fans booing on missed shots because they don't get the free pizza. It should be changed. I do like the defensive idea.

Comment

The other thing to keep in mind is that most of the cheers were probably sarcastic cheers.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                    Didn't they alter the promotion during the Kevin O'Neil era?
                    That was like 3/4 of a season. I can only remember diet coke and the best "George is getting angry" impersonation I've ever seen.

Comment

We need to switch it to the way Lakers do it, keeping teams under 100 pts = fans get pizza.
                      "Defense wins championships."

Comment

I never understood that promotion of getting a free slice after scoring 100 points. They might as well make it really retarded and award a free slice to the fans if a Raptor fouls out of the game - or for that matter give a free pizza to everyone if someone gets ejected. After all isn't Toronto mainly a hockey town?

Comment

It really makes Toronto fans look stupid too. It's like owners are saying, "We know your team sucks, but here's the silver lining..."

And I don't think free pizza slices is gonna cure homelessness.
                          Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

every word well deserved.

Comment

Katman wrote: View Post
                              Let's put this in perspective. Some of these ticket stubs are collected at the end of games and donated to local homeless people so they can get a a hot meal. Who gives a crap how they get it. The raptos should do more to collect up the tickets.

Who cares what Van Gundy thinks.
                              I initially was against the pizza promo until i read this post, and it puts the promo in perspective in this angle.

I totally agree. Ive been to games when they scored a hundred and i dont think ive ever cashed in the stub. I really wanted to, but just forgot or didnt have the time to head over to pizza pizza. next time im at a game and this happens i will just donate the stub.

But honestly, i think people just cheer for pizza just because Toronto fans are wild and crazy. People probably could care less about the pizza, they just want something to cheer for.

Comment

Working...
                              X