Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Time to Mock the Mockers (2012 Edition)

Raptors Republic Starter Katman's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Time to Mock the Mockers (2012 Edition)

I though I'd start a discussion on the selections made by various "Mockers".

Chad Ford, the man everyones seems to polarize has updated his mock draft (on version 2.0).

1) Charlotte | Anthony Davis PF
    2) Washington | Michael Kidd-Gilchrist SF
    3) New Orleans | Thomas Robinson PF
    4) Portland (via NJ) | Bradley Beal SG

5) Toronto | Andre Drummond C

Analysis: The Raptors have been looking for a legit small forward for the past several years and Harrison Barnes would be a perfect fit. However, after Barnes' struggles this past weekend against Ohio and Kansas, the Raptors may want to take another look to see if he still has the upside we all thought he did coming out of high school.

Drummond has been a disappointment, too, but if you are going to miss, you probably ought to miss big. Pairing him in a frontcourt with last year's lottery pick, Jonas Valanciunas, could finally make Andrea Bargnani expendable.

Holy crap, the last thing we need is another front court player. This teams needs more wing talent! What an idiot! I really don't think he does much in the way of analysis on team needs, and is married to ranking talent. I realize that the Raps should always take the best talent available but Drummond? You'd have to take Barnes in this situation.

Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Take the best talent available. Then trade Drummond or AB for a wing who has a proven record in the league, to a team that needs a 4.

Ford's assumption here is that Drummond is an upgrade over AB. (Or maybe he is assuming the Raps would rather take a downgrade on a rookie contract and spend the money, via trade exception or by trading future picks, on a wing player).

Raptors Republic Starter Katman's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Hoopsworld - Yannis 2.0

Yannis doesn't provide any analysis to provide background on his thing, but I really like MKG and very much doubt he will be available @5.

1) Charlotte | Anthony Davis PF
    2) Washington | Bradley Beal SG
    3) New Orleans | Andre Drummond C
    4) Portland (via NJ) | Thomas Robinson PF

5) Toronto | Michael Kidd-Gilchrist SF

35) Toronto | Evan Fournier SG/SF
    54) Toronto | Augusto Cesar Lima PF

I can't believe he thinks we would select Fournier, oh my god! Just kidding, have no clue who theose 2nd rounders are.

Raptors Republic All-Star Jclaw's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

As much as I'm hoping for a great wing, it's hard to disagree with this. Remember who we drafted when we really needed a centre?

Raptors Republic All-Star saints91's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Individual workouts have to come yet. I think if Harrison Barnes shows well in those we will take him if he's available. You can only rely on the Tourney so much for your drafting. Teams went in with the game plan to put pressure on Barnes, and he didn't do all that great. He still have two years of college ball to judge by. I also think he has shown more than Drummond has... although they think Drummond has a really high ceiling.

Raptors Republic All-Star saints91's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Also it's pretty funny that Portland could get #4 for Wallace... what were the Nets thinking? Beal, Aldridge and Batum would be a nice core.

Raptors Republic Starter minks77's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote saints91 wrote: View Post
    Also it's pretty funny that Portland could get #4 for Wallace... what were the Nets thinking? Beal, Aldridge and Batum would be a nice core.
    I don't think there are many brains to be trusted in New Jersey. They keep putting their eggs all in one Brooklyn branded basket and hoping that everyone thinks they're legit. But they aren't. It's why I still like BCo. He's been very honest about the challenges to building the Raps and has taken some very "outside the box" approaches over the years. NJN seem to think they are entitled to some level of respect that they haven't earned.

Couldn't of happened to a more deserving team though. Portland really needed a break.

Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Another big is certainly not what the team needs, but if it were to happen that way and we pick Drummond then flip Bargnanii to New Orleans for Eric Gordan I would be okay with it. If Drummond and JV could turn into an Oakley/Antonio Davis type front court where they muscle opposing teams bigs around and intimidate I'd be happy with that. Casey could work magic with those two bigs.

Raptors Republic Superstar TheGloveinRapsUniform's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I really dont know much about the college players entering the draft, but i think the Raptors should draft for need rather than BPA.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Katman wrote: View Post
    Holy crap, the last thing we need is another front court player. This teams needs more wing talent! What an idiot! I really don't think he does much in the way of analysis on team needs, and is married to ranking talent. I realize that the Raps should always take the best talent available but Drummond? You'd have to take Barnes in this situation.
    Need should not matter in the draft. The draft is about the future, not the present. You take the best player available on your board and the future will make way for your decision.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote tbihis wrote: View Post
    I really dont know much about the college players entering the draft, but i think the Raptors should draft for need rather than BPA.
    Since this draft is fairly deep it'll be hard to ignore drafting the best player available.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    Need should not matter in the draft. The draft is about the future, not the present. You take the best player available on your board and the future will make way for your decision.
    But wont it disrupt the core of this team?

If they get a PF, wouldnt that mean that one of the PFs they currently have "should" be traded?

Post Thanks / Like

Why should that matter? These guys have been together for a short time and have accomplished nothing. Making upgrades should be free game.

Drummond has the talent to be the top guy in the draft. A lot of things would have to play out the right way for it to happen but if Colangelo feels it will happen then why should we care about what happens to Andrea, Ed and Amir? It won't matter long term and they're going to get good players back for any of those guys.
    Last edited by Apollo; Fri Mar 30th, 2012 at 11:00 AM. Reason: a little more

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

If they get a PF, wouldnt that mean that one of the PFs they currently have "should" be traded?
    The "core" hasn't been established though. Sure, there are some players currently better than others, but considering we've won nothing with these guys, anyone and everyone (minus Jonas) is movable.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Post Thanks / Like

What core? Amir Johnson? Ed Davis? Bargnani? Derozan? James Johnson? Dear god. If that's the core then disrupting it is perfectly fine by me.

Post Thanks / Like

I think thats pretty much what we all said when Bargnani, Derozan and Davis were drafted. They all had the talent to push this team out of mediocrity. And now the team is yet going through another draft, expecting the same thing. Shouldnt the Raps start sticking to their guns and develop what they have rather than always riding on potential?

If say, Drummond, turns out to not have the talent to be the top guy in the draft and the Raps have already traded Bargnani, how far will that set the Raptors back, again?

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I think thats pretty much what we all said when Bargnani, Derozan and Davis were drafted. They all had the talent to push this team out of mediocrity. And now the team is yet going through another draft, expecting the same thing. Shouldnt the Raps start sticking to their guns and develop what they have rather than always riding on potential?

If say, Drummond, turns out to not have the talent to be the top guy in the draft and the Raps have already traded Bargnani, how far will that set the Raptors back, again?
    You could ask "what if" with every scenario though. What if we pass up on Drummond and he goes on to become an MVP candidate?
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    You could ask "what if" with every scenario though. What if we pass up on Drummond and he goes on to become an MVP candidate?
    hahaha that could be as well.

But his success, will still be tied to the players around him. There still can be chemistry issues, his preference on where he really wants to play after his rookie contract is over, things of that nature.

You have Raptors players now who are on contract, you know what theyre capable of, and you know that chemistry is a training camp and few practices away.

Is the risk worth it to move pieces and possibly send this team into another major rebuild?
    Last edited by TheGloveinRapsUniform; Fri Mar 30th, 2012 at 11:33 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

If Portland take Beal ahead of us I give 'em a call regarding Matthews.

Post Thanks / Like

I think thats pretty much what we all said when Bargnani, Derozan and Davis were drafted. They all had the talent to push this team out of mediocrity. And now the team is yet going through another draft, expecting the same thing.
    Wait, when have the not stuck to their guns? The way you phrase this it's like Colangelo has a track record of giving up on high lotto prospects. That couldn't be further from the truth. There's a difference between giving up on prospect and having a huge influx of young talent and having to balance it. Teams who draft out of need are typically the teams that make you step back later and make you ask questions like "why the hell did they take this guy instead of Andre Igulodala?!"

Why do you assume he would just deal away depth to make room for a rookie to play 40MPG? If anything Bargnani stays atleast until the deadline and over the summer Amir or Ed would be moved. Colangelo isn't going to saddle Casey with two rookies playing heavy minutes. Especially during a contract for both Colangelo and Casey.

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Right. It's better to crash and burn due to error in talent evaluation than to get the talent evaluation correct, ignore it and instead draft out of necessity. Free agency is the place where you purposely fill holes, not the draft.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information