Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
Results 81 to 86 of 86

Thread: Time to Mock the Mockers (2012 Edition)

  1. #81
    Raptors Republic All-Star slaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    2,095
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    I am looking forward to the Davis/Robinson matchup tonight. At the very least, I am hoping it raises Robinson's value ahead of MKG's, to give the Raptors a greater chance at landing MKG! Plus, I'm not sold on Davis, so it will be interesting to see him going up against a legit PF with an NBA-ready body and post game.
    Not real sure what people want from Davis. He's the most dominant college player in the game, he's productive, he's super-skilled and he works as hard as any player out there. He's capable of distorting the game. Not many players can do that. Is his lack of a back to the basket game really that big of a concern for a guy with his footwork and hands who, up until two years ago, was a 6'2 guard? Not sure what more he can possibly do to convince people.

  2. #82
    Super Moderator ReubenJRD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, BC.
    Posts
    4,057
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote slaw wrote: View Post
    Not real sure what people want from Davis. He's the most dominant college player in the game, he's productive, he's super-skilled and he works as hard as any player out there. He's capable of distorting the game. Not many players can do that. Is his lack of a back to the basket game really that big of a concern for a guy with his footwork and hands who, up until two years ago, was a 6'2 guard? Not sure what more he can possibly do to convince people.
    His inside game is better than I had expected if that means anything. I never believed he had a back to the basket game one bit.

    +1 on all your points about AD. By far most skilled player in the Nation, and for a big man with guard skills is tremendous, for a big man that tall it's not hard to learn a basic back to the basket game.

  3. #83
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,393
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
    His inside game is better than I had expected if that means anything. I never believed he had a back to the basket game one bit.

    +1 on all your points about AD. By far most skilled player in the Nation, and for a big man with guard skills is tremendous, for a big man that tall it's not hard to learn a basic back to the basket game.
    Playing the post is an art in and of itself. Compare Kevin McHale, Hakeem Olajuwon, and Tim Duncan to other 6'10"-7'1" players. If it was easy, everyone would be able to do it. It is not so they don't and it is evident by the extreme contracts given to big men on the hope they can produce (Diop? Haywood? Dampier? Dalembert? McIlvaine? etc. etc.).

    I think Davis is going to learn the craft because he is an elite talent. He has shown considerable improvement from the start of this season and as everyone is aware he grew 8" in the last 2 years. One thing that I look forward to seeing Davis do in the NBA is expand his perimeter game on offense.

    Hypothetically, and this is an old query, I wonder if Davis/Bargnani/Valanciunas could coexist in a starting lineup? JV is a straight up C. Davis and Bargnani though have elements to their game of SF's. For example, Bargnani has been guarding some SF's of late. He was on Carmelo Anthony and Wilson Chandler in recent games. Plus with Casey the master of zones, he might be able to make them work well together. Offensively, I have no doubt it could work - especially with two guards who can create and shoot with range.

  4. #84
    Super Moderator ReubenJRD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, BC.
    Posts
    4,057
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Playing the post is an art in and of itself. Compare Kevin McHale, Hakeem Olajuwon, and Tim Duncan to other 6'10"-7'1" players. If it was easy, everyone would be able to do it. It is not so they don't and it is evident by the extreme contracts given to big men on the hope they can produce (Diop? Haywood? Dampier? Dalembert? McIlvaine? etc. etc.).

    I think Davis is going to learn the craft because he is an elite talent. He has shown considerable improvement from the start of this season and as everyone is aware he grew 8" in the last 2 years. One thing that I look forward to seeing Davis do in the NBA is expand his perimeter game on offense.

    Hypothetically, and this is an old query, I wonder if Davis/Bargnani/Valanciunas could coexist in a starting lineup? JV is a straight up C. Davis and Bargnani though have elements to their game of SF's. For example, Bargnani has been guarding some SF's of late. He was on Carmelo Anthony and Wilson Chandler in recent games. Plus with Casey the master of zones, he might be able to make them work well together. Offensively, I have no doubt it could work - especially with two guards who can create and shoot with range.
    Well I think it's a given with his talent level and basketball IQ. My bad for not including some specifics. Plus his back to the basket game is already fair.

    I think a Davis/Bargnani/Valanciunas lineup could work. I like it, but I mean playing a big time talent in his original position is my philosophy. Not big on tweeners. (Unless you're Terrence Jones :P)
    Last edited by ReubenJRD; Mon Apr 2nd, 2012 at 11:16 PM.

  5. #85
    Raptors Republic Starter draftedraptor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    603
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Although he looks legit we are not getting Anthony Davis. He is going to Bobcats or Hornets.

    All this hype on MKG and Robinson has pushed some of the original picks to go lower in the mock drafts. I say we take a plunge on Drummond. He might still be available at 4-5 where I expect us to be in the lottery given our luck. He is by no means NBA ready and is a 3-year project. With a right coach he can be another Dwight. You cannot go wrong with 6-11 of pure athleticism. We can start him with Val and give him very limited minutes. Ideally Bargs can be our 6th man with major minutes playing with either Drummond/Val. We get instant offensive production off the bench that way. It has been suggested in the earlier posts Bargnani should be traded. It makes sense to trade an asset on a big salary if we need some talent in our wings and to accommodate new salaries. But I would rather not trade him. It makes no sense to get rid of Ed Davis on his nominal contract. This leaves us with Kleiza, Demar, Amir and Jose. Mix and match them for someone like Eric gordon and a good wingman. Sign Nash. Package the two second rounders for late first round - Teague.

    And can be stop touting Bargnani as a SF. First he was a center. now he is PF. next year a SF? He doesn't have the mobility or athleticism to play a wingman. Do not be fooled by his quick pump-fake step-over move on big men. He was put on Melo not because he can match him but as a hindrance. No one can stop melo anyway. Casey has figured using his size outside to prevent opposition's smooth offense is more useful and keeps him off the post where his defensive lapses costs us. How many times have we seen the other team taking advantage of Bargnani in a rotation? The other big men (Amir/Gray/Davis) who actually defend their basket are caught with their pants down and end up committing a foul or getting dunked on. We must play to his strengths or trade him. He is a RELATIVELY quick 7footer with no post game, no appetite for rebounds unless they fall on his face, excellent range and scoring ability. bring him off the bench and kill the opposition for gods sake.

  6. #86
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,393
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote draftedraptor wrote: View Post
    Although he looks legit we are not getting Anthony Davis. He is going to Bobcats or Hornets.

    All this hype on MKG and Robinson has pushed some of the original picks to go lower in the mock drafts. I say we take a plunge on Drummond. He might still be available at 4-5 where I expect us to be in the lottery given our luck. He is by no means NBA ready and is a 3-year project. With a right coach he can be another Dwight. You cannot go wrong with 6-11 of pure athleticism. We can start him with Val and give him very limited minutes. Ideally Bargs can be our 6th man with major minutes playing with either Drummond/Val. We get instant offensive production off the bench that way. It has been suggested in the earlier posts Bargnani should be traded. It makes sense to trade an asset on a big salary if we need some talent in our wings and to accommodate new salaries. But I would rather not trade him. It makes no sense to get rid of Ed Davis on his nominal contract. This leaves us with Kleiza, Demar, Amir and Jose. Mix and match them for someone like Eric gordon and a good wingman. Sign Nash. Package the two second rounders for late first round - Teague.

    And can be stop touting Bargnani as a SF. First he was a center. now he is PF. next year a SF? He doesn't have the mobility or athleticism to play a wingman. Do not be fooled by his quick pump-fake step-over move on big men. He was put on Melo not because he can match him but as a hindrance. No one can stop melo anyway. Casey has figured using his size outside to prevent opposition's smooth offense is more useful and keeps him off the post where his defensive lapses costs us. How many times have we seen the other team taking advantage of Bargnani in a rotation? The other big men (Amir/Gray/Davis) who actually defend their basket are caught with their pants down and end up committing a foul or getting dunked on. We must play to his strengths or trade him. He is a RELATIVELY quick 7footer with no post game, no appetite for rebounds unless they fall on his face, excellent range and scoring ability. bring him off the bench and kill the opposition for gods sake.
    Oh, I'm sorry, was the lottery held yet? I must have missed the memo with Charlotte and New Orleans picking first. As of now Charlotte has the worst record and NO is 3rd worst. That leaves the odds still greater that neither receive the first pick (59.4%). Last year is a perfect example. With the 3rd worst record, Toronto picked 5th and with the worst record Cleveland's own pick was 4th.

    250 combinations, 25.0% chance of receiving the #1 pick
    199 combinations, 19.9% chance
    156 combinations, 15.6% chance
    119 combinations, 11.9% chance
    88 combinations, 8.8% chance
    63 combinations, 6.3% chance
    43 combinations, 4.3% chance
    28 combinations, 2.8% chance
    17 combinations, 1.7% chance
    11 combinations, 1.1% chance
    8 combinations, 0.8% chance
    7 combinations, 0.7% chance
    6 combinations, 0.6% chance
    5 combinations, 0.5% chance


    Source

    Who is touting Bargnani as a SF? Both Bargnani and Davis have perimeter skills on offense. Who ever the smaller person guarding the other goes inside, who ever is the bigger could go outside. Plus substitution patterns would be made that there are always 2 of JV/AD/AB on the floor at the same time. It is unconventional but, given Davis' game is far from complete, it is a possibility he will put his total game together (skills from pre growth spurt, skills post growth spurt). Defensively, zones and matchups could create opportunities for all three to play at once. I'm not sold it could work, but I'm not convinced it would not either.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •