Big J

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big J

Is Jonas gonna be the be all and end all?

CalibreMC wrote: View Post
    i sure as shit hope so. with the hype and hoopla we have created on his play thus far, he had better be special or the hate will come from no fault of his own

Comment

i highly doubt BC sees Jonas as the Be all end all... some of the fan base on the other hand will no doubt put huge amounts of pressure on the kid to perform right out the gate.. unfairly too i might add.. i think we need to real in our hopes a bit & be realistic here.. hes no doubt going to be a stud at some point but to expect it right out the gate is setting yourself up for dissapointment... one should expect that there will be the good & bad parts of his game & it will most likely take time. T.O sports fans always seem to expect too much from these kids too early & put un needed pressure on them.. just let him play i say.. support him the way us fans should support him & things will work out well for the raps.. the last thing any rookie needs is to hyped up as the savior...it will only cause harm to his development..

Comment

If he puts up 8 pts and 8rebs to go along with 1.5 blocks i'll be happy

Comment

Gotta be honest as the NCAA hype builds up JV seems to be lost in the shuffle as just a good piece.

Comment

I hope Jonas starts on the bench and has limited minutes in the first 40 games to get acclimatised to his new surroundings. Don't put numbers down as a baseline. Just look at performance within the team framework

Comment

RNsteve wrote: View Post
              Gotta be honest as the NCAA hype builds up JV seems to be lost in the shuffle as just a good piece.
              Quite frankly, watching the NCAA level of competition, and watching the JV highlight reels, I am even more encouraged. The NCAA play seems quite disorganized compared to what I have seen of the various JV segments. The low scores of the games also seems to be more a function of poor offence, and longer shot clock. I believe JV is going to be far more NBA ready than I thought

Comment

He's not the be all end all because he will have another lottery pick coming in with him who should have a comparable level of talent. It will be nice for two top prospects to come in together, distribute the pressure of the spotlight more evenly.

At a glance, I would say JV looks to be more NBA ready than many prospects in this years draft, ie, Drummond, MKG, Sullinger, Zeller, Henson. He even has a more NBA ready body than Anthony Davis. We'll just have to wait and see..all about how quickly he can adjust to NBA speed

Comment

The key thing I'll be watching for next year is how he matches up against other young centers... guys like McGee, Koufos, Monroe, Cousins, Kanter, Biyombo, Drummond, guys who are within a few years of his age, but maybe have a bit more experience or more developed bodies. Watching these sorts of matchups will be more useful in seeing his potential than what his stats are.

Comment

I dont believe we need to worry about putting pressure on JV (I wouldnt and let him just develop naturally...learning the NBA game...lets just not expect him to score too much the first year). The reason? Because he has had "pressure" since he was in his mid teens when he had a whole country following him and even had comparisons to Sabonis. All indications are he is mentally strong and most of all has the drive to succeed.

Comment

CalibreMC wrote: View Post
                      Next year or the year after? Probably not.

4-5 years down the road when he is 24-25? Who knows.

Comment

RNsteve wrote: View Post
                        Out of sight, out of mind. I can understand that.

However, the NCAA has nothing on the majority of international competition that JV is competing against. JV has been playing exclusively against men for 2-3 years now - minus minor international competition (which he destroys). No one coming out of the NCAA can make the same claim to the level of competition he has played against.

Also, this thread has video for almost every game he has played this year. Watch how physical the game is in the post. It is much more physical than not only the NCAA but the NBA too.

Comment

Another point in favour of JV vs. the NCAA recruit is the number of games he is playing compared to the college seasonal of about 30-35 games. Hitting the wall may not be as much of an issue for him.

Comment

Yes, but most games he doesn't really play more than 20 minutes and the speed of the game is considerably slower (mainly due to all those rules the nba instituted to make the game more attractive/sensational).

Comment

Working...
                            X