This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I figured I would put this here:

Anthony Bennett's official measurements from the Nike Hoop Summit.
    6'7" (in shoes) 239lbs. 7'1" wing span. Looks like he will need to work on those perimeter skills if he want to make a serious run at the NBA. I know there have been players his size do well as a 4, he does have the long arms, but he better suits the 3 position.
    http://www.draftexpress.com/article/...urements-3877/
    Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

WJF wrote: View Post
      Just because you don't know where to look in more rural areas does not mean that basketball is not popular or producing decent athletes. The relative Rural area that I live in now in Nova Scotia has produced many CIS players and an NCAA D-1 player in the last few years. We are 2 hours outside the Halifax area so these are not products of "metro". Last year I had 2 players off the team I coach play on the silver medal winning U17 team at Nationals, losing to team Ontario in the final. When I was living in the other end of the province there was a small fishing village (600 people in the town) that had a tremendous high school program, regularly playing up 3 divisions and winning ball games.

You just need to know where to look.
      I'm not debating people may play basketball where you live. I'm just saying, if you look at the composition of elite talent, generally the best players are coming from just a few areas of the country.

Look at the current Junior Men's National Team.

http://www.basketball.ca/junior-men-s15143

6 players from the GTA
      2 from Ottawa/Gatineau
      3 within a 2 hour drive of Vancouver

Comment

slhy wrote: View Post
        I'm not debating people may play basketball where you live. I'm just saying, if you look at the composition of elite talent, generally the best players are coming from just a few areas of the country.

Look at the current Junior Men's National Team.

http://www.basketball.ca/junior-men-s15143

6 players from the GTA
        2 from Ottawa/Gatineau
        3 within a 2 hour drive of Vancouver
        Of course the odds are that the bulk of the team (and talent) would come from the largest population densities, that is simple mathematics, but a province with less than a total of 1 million competes regularly at Nationals, and those teams have more than just metro area players. That sort of busts your theory of talent only coming from large metropolitan areas.

You use 1 team to back your theory, but the senior men's team in 2011 had 4 players from smaller cities of 100,000 or less.
        The women's team had 3 players from communities under 40,000. The junior women had 5 members from small communities as well. So if you look at population distribution of the country, the smaller areas are producing more talent per capita than the largest metropolitan areas.
        Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
          Maybe I'm overreacting.
          Yes, this tendency to take offense at whatever not-so-impartial foreign journalists write just helps reinforce the myth (or is reality?) Canadians have an inferiority complex.

Not specifically directed at you Matt, there are many similar posts throughout the year.

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
            Well its all north america. And they originally left the US and escaped to Canada because of slavery if I'm not mistaken. So deep down most of them are still african american
            The vast majority of the people who came via the underground railroad eventually returned stateside to be reunited with their families and better weather. As much as we'd like to believe otherwise, Canada in the 1800's wasnt the welcoming multi-cultural place it is today as well. The vast majority are more recent immigrants. There is a reason we have Carribana and not Americanna.

Comment

Hugmenot wrote: View Post
              Yes, this tendency to take offense at whatever not-so-impartial foreign journalists write just helps reinforce the myth (or is reality?) Canadians have an inferiority complex.

Not specifically directed at you Matt, there are many similar posts throughout the year.
              It could also reinforce the myth (or reality?) that Americans have a superiority complex or are arrogant.

Take one read through any article or the comments that follow dealing with contraction in the NBA. Never mind the fact the Raptors are one of the more valuable and profitable teams in the NBA, most fans south of the 49th parallel are looking to remove or relocate the team. Why would this belief continue to be popular when even a sh!t franchise in Toronto is doing much better than the majority of the league including many playoff teams? Ignorance.

I definitely agree historically there is a inferiority complex among Canadians. In my opinion that has dwindled in the last few years. The current state of American affairs with bailout nation, foreign policy, the growth of government, and the continued growth of debt at all government levels in the US is hardly an enviable situation for the majority. The inferiority complex has been replaced with a pedestal complex, in my opinion, which is inappropriate in the other extreme.

Comment

He's right. When you sign up your kids to play sports, basketball is not on the top of most people's list, but the sport is growing. People who play a sport, usually watch it later in life.

Comment

It could also reinforce the myth (or reality?) that Americans have a superiority complex or are arrogant.
                  Having one stepchild who graduated from the American public school system, I'd say it's closer to reality than myth based upon what she was taught in History and Civics classes.

Me, arrogant? No! Actually it's one of the things my wife loves about me. And being the God's Greater Gift to women too. But unfortunately for me, my cute neighbor does not know it yet and still have a neck free of collars. Sigh, can't always win.

Take one read through any article or the comments that follow dealing with contraction in the NBA. Never mind the fact the Raptors are one of the more valuable and profitable teams in the NBA, most fans south of the 49th parallel are looking to remove or relocate the team. Why would this belief continue to be popular when even a sh!t franchise in Toronto is doing much better than the majority of the league including many playoff teams? Ignorance.
                  Fans are not decision-makers so why even listen to their opinion about what is essentially a financial decision?

I definitely agree historically there is a inferiority complex among Canadians. In my opinion that has dwindled in the last few years. The current state of American affairs with bailout nation, foreign policy, the growth of government, and the continued growth of debt at all government levels in the US is hardly an enviable situation for the majority. The inferiority complex has been replaced with a pedestal complex, in my opinion, which is inappropriate in the other extreme.
                  That's an interesting comment; I will certainly pay closer attention to what my siblings and friends say the next time I visit Ottawa.

Comment

Hugmenot wrote: View Post
                    Having one stepchild who graduated from the American public school system, I'd say it's closer to reality than myth based upon what she was taught in History and Civics classes.

Me, arrogant? No! Actually it's one of the things my wife loves about me. And being the God's Greater Gift to women too. But unfortunately for me, my cute neighbor does not know it yet and still have a neck free of collars. Sigh, can't always win.

Fans are not decision-makers so why even listen to their opinion about what is essentially a financial decision?

That's an interesting comment; I will certainly pay closer attention to what my siblings and friends say the next time I visit Ottawa.
                    Just to be sure we are on the same page, none of my comments were meant to be directed personally at you.

You know the ongoing dog collar comments are a little troubling - lol.

There are more than just fans clamouring for Toronto to get the contraction or relocation slip. 'Respected' American 'journalists' have also fell victim to this silly suggestion.

Comment

Read what i wrote. You can call them what you want but you know what i meant to say genius
                      Lol, and you complained about me leaving out the s in Wayans, you're a weird.
                      Last edited by mcHAPPY; Tue Apr 3, 2012, 04:53 PM.

Comment

Soft Euro wrote: View Post
                        Lol, and you complained about me leaving out the s in Wayans, you're a weird.
                        you also said brothers instead of bros lol. I not a weird

Comment

you also said brothers instead of bros lol. I not a weird
                          I actually took a word out of his post.

This conversation is going nowhere productive, gents. I think it is time to call it quits on it - unless some basketball relevancy is thrown back in to the mix. If you persist on discussing matters with one another, head to the private messages.

Comment

close er up
                            If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Working...
                            X