Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good post Thornbury and welcome to the site!

Comment

Bennett has a good point if you take the country as a whole.

I think it's a little misleading to say basketball is popular in certain provinces. In my experience, you popularity of the sport is pretty much centralized around urban centres. So, basketball is popular in the GTA, Montreal, Vancouver and Halifax. If you look at where all the talent is coming from, it's out of these regions -- not too many scouts heading up to say, Thunderbay to scout basketball players.

When you look at it that way, then yes, basketball is not particularly popular across Canada, outside of the above mentioned pockets.

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
        Well that kid grew up in brampton at the wrong time. There are lots and i mean lots of african americans in Brampton and a lot of them play ball. In the next few years we will see many players come out of Canada. I grew up there but i moved to Burlington a couple of years back
        African Americans in Brampton? You mean black people in Canada aren't Canadian anymore?

Comment

slhy wrote: View Post
          Bennett has a good point if you take the country as a whole.

I think it's a little misleading to say basketball is popular in certain provinces. In my experience, you popularity or the sport is pretty much centralized around urban centres. So, basketball is popular in the GTA, Montreal, Vancouver and Halifax. If you look at where all the talent is coming from, it's out of these regions -- not too many scouts heading up to say, Thunderbay to scout basketball players.

When you look at it that way, then yes, basketball is not particularly popular across Canada, outside of the above mentioned pockets.
          Just because you don't know where to look in more rural areas does not mean that basketball is not popular or producing decent athletes. The relative Rural area that I live in now in Nova Scotia has produced many CIS players and an NCAA D-1 player in the last few years. We are 2 hours outside the Halifax area so these are not products of "metro". Last year I had 2 players off the team I coach play on the silver medal winning U17 team at Nationals, losing to team Ontario in the final. When I was living in the other end of the province there was a small fishing village (600 people in the town) that had a tremendous high school program, regularly playing up 3 divisions and winning ball games.

You just need to know where to look.
          Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

DoNDaDDa wrote: View Post
            basketball has become the most played sport among the east indian kids in brampton aswell... its all i ever seen them do
            Ya I'm Indian as well cept I'm west indian. I was just pointing out African Americans because they have a higher ceiling and a bigger chance to make it to the nba. We aren't born with that athleticism and athletic ability, i'm going to have to work my ass off just to be able to dunk.

Comment

Sorry basketball is not big in Canada, he is right.

Toronto has a basketball team which is why its popular, but the rest of the country do not give a damn about the Raptors, so the casual NBA fan remains casual and is overshadowed by hockey.

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
                Lets not give the Amerks any more credit than they deserve

You must have surely meant "African Canadians" rather than "african americans"....in Brampton.
                Well its all north america. And they originally left the US and escaped to Canada because of slavery if I'm not mistaken. So deep down most of them are still african american

Comment

ovrproof wrote: View Post
                  African Americans in Brampton? You mean black people in Canada aren't Canadian anymore?
                  Read what i wrote. You can call them what you want but you know what i meant to say genius

Comment

LBF wrote: View Post
                    I do notice that from who i talk to indian/brown skinned people seem to have the most interested in basketball, then the black, then white.

Not sure if it is that important or i'm being to nitty gritty. Just something I thought i'd point out.

let's forget all that and pretend basketball is as popular or close to hockey. What will you have a conversation about longer if you go across canada to every capital city, hockey or basketball?

I live in the GCH (greater city of hamilton) and not where i live particularly but as you get closer to downtown you can have a longer conversation about the tigercats in the offseason than the raptors during the season...

Then again there are a lot of hoboes, who get drunk off mouthwash. Who just ask you for change, no matter what you say.
                    Ya we take more pride in bball than most black people I'd say. In Burlington there aren't many Indian people, my friend and i are like the only indians at our school. we always talk ball but he rips on the Raptors a lot and calls bargs soft all the time. The point is that Canada is becoming more and more multicultural so Basketball is going to become big and eventually might even become more popular than hockey.

Comment

Hotshot wrote: View Post
                      Sorry basketball is not big in Canada, he is right.

Toronto has a basketball team which is why its popular, but the rest of the country do not give a damn about the Raptors, so the casual NBA fan remains casual and is overshadowed by hockey.
                      I couldn't disagree more.

The only person with such an attitude must be residing in Toronto or close to it.

Comment

There is security in numbers. There's no sense in being insecure if others do not share our passion.
                        Last edited by stretch; Mon Apr 2, 2012, 10:26 PM.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                          I couldn't disagree more.

The only person with such an attitude must be residing in Toronto or close to it.
                          Actually I am from Toronto but moved to Vancouver about 3 years ago and let me tell you that in Vancouver they don't give a damn about the Raptors or the NBA, hell you can barley find any coverage of it in their local sport section which is always covers 4 pages of the freaking Canucks.

The Blue Jays are more popular then the Raptors in BC, hell even their new soccer team the whitecaps is more popular then the Raptors.

Toronto does not reflect the rest of Canada.

Comment

Actually I am from Toronto but moved to Vancouver about 3 years ago and let me tell you that in Vancouver they don't give a damn about the Raptors or the NBA, hell you can barley find any coverage of it in their local sport section which is always covers 4 pages of the freaking Canucks.

The Blue Jays are more popular then the Raptors in BC, hell even their new soccer team the whitecaps is more popular then the Raptors.

As someone with similar experience I agree. Its very different outside toronto.

Why should there be any interest in the raptors over a local soccer team- whitecaps?

As for the blue jays. It might have to do with their recent success and a certain level of obsession among North Americans for baseball. The blue jays on their part have committed to holding camps across nation and cooperating with the local baseball league to spot and develop talent.

If we don't get local talent or local teams outside toronto in the NCAA/NBA there will be no interest among the public for basketball.

Comment

draftedraptor wrote: View Post
                              Why should there be any interest in the raptors over a local soccer team- whitecaps?
                              Because Toronto is the only team in Canada that plays in the NBA which by default makes them Canada's team. Plus the NBA is a much bigger/popular organization then MLS not to mention that the whitecaps only been around for less then 2 years.

However I feel that basketball in Vancouver died when the Vancouver Grizzlies died and there is a mixed jealousy with the success (lack of a better words) of the Raptors survival in the NBA. If the Vancouver Grizzlies were still around then I would agree that basketball would be of a great interest in this province.

Comment

I'm outside Toronto and Ontario. It is very different where I am. You should move, haha.

Comment

Working...
                                X