Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 58

Thread: Anthony Bennett: "In Canada, basketball isn't too big."

  1. #21
    Raptors Republic Starter Papa Burgundy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    554
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Having more games televised will continue to be huge moving forward.

    When I was in grade school I was in a basketball league, played for the school team, etc ... but it wasn't until national television started carrying more and more Raps and Griz games that I became a fanatic.

    In general, basketball in my area of NS is arguably the most popular sport ... nets everywhere ... competitive leagues from mini ball, right up to 'old men' leagues ... So, dude's comments are off base ...
    The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

  2. #22
    Raptors Republic Starter draftedraptor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    603
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote WJF wrote: View Post
    Pure Ignorance! I am from Ontario, and yes basketball is popular there...but, if you follow the sport across the country and see what provinces do well at Nationals and what areas have solid followings for their college and University programs you would add many a province to that list. The basketball in Nova Scotia is great, second to none. Quebec has produced many solid players and is always a force in U17 competitions. Alberta produces a steady stream of quality and Saskatchewan and Manitoba are making big strides. You may want to get out and take a look before you make such a blanket statement.
    Am I?

    I live in alberta now. Any basketball reference in a conversation is met with blank glances. College basketball is not too bad but nothing like the support we see in the states or Ontario/BC. Same applies to Sas/Man. Give them a reason to get interested. More teams in NBA perhaps?

    There is no reason why basketball cannot be big here but currently it is not.

  3. #23
    Raptors Republic Veteran
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    5,002
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    Well that kid grew up in brampton at the wrong time. There are lots and i mean lots of african americans in Brampton and a lot of them play ball. In the next few years we will see many players come out of Canada. I grew up there but i moved to Burlington a couple of years back
    Lets not give the Amerks any more credit than they deserve

    You must have surely meant "African Canadians" rather than "african americans"....in Brampton.

  4. #24
    Raptors Republic Rookie Jon_Wade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Nova scotia
    Posts
    166
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Papa Burgundy wrote: View Post
    Having more games televised will continue to be huge moving forward.

    When I was in grade school I was in a basketball league, played for the school team, etc ... but it wasn't until national television started carrying more and more Raps and Griz games that I became a fanatic.

    In general, basketball in my area of NS is arguably the most popular sport ... nets everywhere ... competitive leagues from mini ball, right up to 'old men' leagues ... So, dude's comments are off base ...

    Halifax? if not Halifax has quite a few ball nets up and I have seen many people playing on the courts in Halifax and also in Dartmouth. Even Yarmouth way there is quite a bit of Basketball going on!
    Whoever told you skies the limit is looking dumb because I'm 22 and i'm moonwalking on the sun.

  5. #25
    Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    5,957
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    "Pretty soon, we're all gonna be beige"

    - Russell Peters
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

  6. #26
    Super Moderator Joey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    7,541
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Jon_Wade wrote: View Post
    Anybody know how good Bennett is or might become? i know hes supposedly 6'8 230 so hes a big kid but can he handle the ball at all?
    He's got a chance to be VERY good in my opinion.
    He just won MVP at the National Highschool Invitational, he's the #7 ranked prospect in the US, and will likely end up going to Kentucky or Florida, both VERY solid programs.



    Quote Bendit wrote: View Post
    He could very well feel (and act) more American than Canadian....having spent his more impressionable years growing up in West Virginia. I would be surprised if he knew what CIS stands for or even if Jay Triano was once the coach of the National team.
    Not sure why you say this ...
    Bennett has made countless contributions to the National Program, including leading us to a VERY impressive showings the U17 in Hamburg, as well as the Nike Global Hoops Challenge, where we lost out to the US in the Final game.
    Bennett represents his Country with pride.
    In Masai we Trust.

  7. #27
    Raptors Republic All-Star WJF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Posts
    1,464
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Jon_Wade wrote: View Post
    Halifax? if not Halifax has quite a few ball nets up and I have seen many people playing on the courts in Halifax and also in Dartmouth. Even Yarmouth way there is quite a bit of Basketball going on!
    I have coached from one end of Nova Scotia to the other, Yarmouth to Sydney and all point in between. Even the smallest communities put out good ball players.

  8. #28
    Raptors Republic Veteran
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    5,002
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    He's got a chance to be VERY good in my opinion.
    He just won MVP at the National Highschool Invitational, he's the #7 ranked prospect in the US, and will likely end up going to Kentucky or Florida, both VERY solid programs.



    Not sure why you say this ...
    Bennett has made countless contributions to the National Program, including leading us to a VERY impressive showings the U17 in Hamburg, as well as the Nike Global Hoops Challenge, where we lost out to the US in the Final game.
    Bennett represents his Country with pride.
    Thank you for setting me straight on that. My comments were not meant to be disparaging but rather excusable of his... since he had probably spent at least the last 4-5 yrs in the States and may have lost touch with the growth of bb in Canada. I just dont know but have some anecdotal experience with the son of a friend who also goes to a prep school there. He has since he was 13-14 and hardly gets back for any length of time...just the holidays. People...especially kids can change...and at that age I wouldn't hold it against him. Thats just the nature of things unless his family has a strong influence in reinforcing his roots.

  9. #29
    Raptors Republic Veteran LBF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton,ON a.k.a. The Hammer!
    Posts
    5,323
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    Well that kid grew up in brampton at the wrong time. There are lots and i mean lots of african americans in Brampton and a lot of them play ball. In the next few years we will see many players come out of Canada. I grew up there but i moved to Burlington a couple of years back
    I do notice that from who i talk to indian/brown skinned people seem to have the most interested in basketball, then the black, then white.

    Not sure if it is that important or i'm being to nitty gritty. Just something I thought i'd point out.

    let's forget all that and pretend basketball is as popular or close to hockey. What will you have a conversation about longer if you go across canada to every capital city, hockey or basketball?

    I live in the GCH (greater city of hamilton) and not where i live particularly but as you get closer to downtown you can have a longer conversation about the tigercats in the offseason than the raptors during the season...

    Then again there are a lot of hoboes, who get drunk off mouthwash. Who just ask you for change, no matter what you say.
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

    Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

  10. #30
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    48
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    He's right. Curling bumps NBA playoff games in Ontario, and Canada. 'Nuff said. When the Raps start winning playoff games, or when a kid like Bennet or Wiggins puts on a Raps jersey and starts making waves, then the sports culture will change.

  11. #31
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    11,986
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Good post Thornbury and welcome to the site!

  12. #32
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    3
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Bennett has a good point if you take the country as a whole.

    I think it's a little misleading to say basketball is popular in certain provinces. In my experience, you popularity of the sport is pretty much centralized around urban centres. So, basketball is popular in the GTA, Montreal, Vancouver and Halifax. If you look at where all the talent is coming from, it's out of these regions -- not too many scouts heading up to say, Thunderbay to scout basketball players.

    When you look at it that way, then yes, basketball is not particularly popular across Canada, outside of the above mentioned pockets.

  13. #33
    Raptors Republic Rookie ovrproof's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    10
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    Well that kid grew up in brampton at the wrong time. There are lots and i mean lots of african americans in Brampton and a lot of them play ball. In the next few years we will see many players come out of Canada. I grew up there but i moved to Burlington a couple of years back
    African Americans in Brampton? You mean black people in Canada aren't Canadian anymore?

  14. #34
    Raptors Republic All-Star WJF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Posts
    1,464
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote slhy wrote: View Post
    Bennett has a good point if you take the country as a whole.

    I think it's a little misleading to say basketball is popular in certain provinces. In my experience, you popularity or the sport is pretty much centralized around urban centres. So, basketball is popular in the GTA, Montreal, Vancouver and Halifax. If you look at where all the talent is coming from, it's out of these regions -- not too many scouts heading up to say, Thunderbay to scout basketball players.

    When you look at it that way, then yes, basketball is not particularly popular across Canada, outside of the above mentioned pockets.
    Just because you don't know where to look in more rural areas does not mean that basketball is not popular or producing decent athletes. The relative Rural area that I live in now in Nova Scotia has produced many CIS players and an NCAA D-1 player in the last few years. We are 2 hours outside the Halifax area so these are not products of "metro". Last year I had 2 players off the team I coach play on the silver medal winning U17 team at Nationals, losing to team Ontario in the final. When I was living in the other end of the province there was a small fishing village (600 people in the town) that had a tremendous high school program, regularly playing up 3 divisions and winning ball games.

    You just need to know where to look.

  15. #35
    Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,744
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote DoNDaDDa wrote: View Post
    basketball has become the most played sport among the east indian kids in brampton aswell... its all i ever seen them do
    Ya I'm Indian as well cept I'm west indian. I was just pointing out African Americans because they have a higher ceiling and a bigger chance to make it to the nba. We aren't born with that athleticism and athletic ability, i'm going to have to work my ass off just to be able to dunk.

  16. #36
    Raptors Republic All-Star Hotshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,195
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Sorry basketball is not big in Canada, he is right.

    Toronto has a basketball team which is why its popular, but the rest of the country do not give a damn about the Raptors, so the casual NBA fan remains casual and is overshadowed by hockey.

  17. #37
    Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,744
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Bendit wrote: View Post
    Lets not give the Amerks any more credit than they deserve

    You must have surely meant "African Canadians" rather than "african americans"....in Brampton.
    Well its all north america. And they originally left the US and escaped to Canada because of slavery if I'm not mistaken. So deep down most of them are still african american

  18. #38
    Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,744
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote ovrproof wrote: View Post
    African Americans in Brampton? You mean black people in Canada aren't Canadian anymore?
    Read what i wrote. You can call them what you want but you know what i meant to say genius

  19. #39
    Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,744
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote LBF wrote: View Post
    I do notice that from who i talk to indian/brown skinned people seem to have the most interested in basketball, then the black, then white.

    Not sure if it is that important or i'm being to nitty gritty. Just something I thought i'd point out.

    let's forget all that and pretend basketball is as popular or close to hockey. What will you have a conversation about longer if you go across canada to every capital city, hockey or basketball?

    I live in the GCH (greater city of hamilton) and not where i live particularly but as you get closer to downtown you can have a longer conversation about the tigercats in the offseason than the raptors during the season...

    Then again there are a lot of hoboes, who get drunk off mouthwash. Who just ask you for change, no matter what you say.
    Ya we take more pride in bball than most black people I'd say. In Burlington there aren't many Indian people, my friend and i are like the only indians at our school. we always talk ball but he rips on the Raptors a lot and calls bargs soft all the time. The point is that Canada is becoming more and more multicultural so Basketball is going to become big and eventually might even become more popular than hockey.

  20. #40
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,195
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Hotshot wrote: View Post
    Sorry basketball is not big in Canada, he is right.

    Toronto has a basketball team which is why its popular, but the rest of the country do not give a damn about the Raptors, so the casual NBA fan remains casual and is overshadowed by hockey.
    I couldn't disagree more.

    The only person with such an attitude must be residing in Toronto or close to it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •