Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Marc Stein ESPN.com insulting our Camouflage Uniforms.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the uniforms look pretty bad, but I 100% appreciate the original reason they were worn, to honour our veterans and the brave men & women currently serving in the Canadian armed forces. I liked them being worn on the Raptors' armed forces appreciation night (Canadian armed forces day is the 1st Sunday in June, per Wikipedia), but I think wearing them for additional random games is dumb and confuses the meaning. If Stein knew why and when they were worn, I would be willing to bet he'd have a completely different opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote SitnonDfence wrote: View Post
    I think they may have been better received in maybe a black and white digital camo... myabe some red thrown in for colour....leafy green doesnt do it for me...
    Red on the camo is probably a bad military omen, no?

Anyway, I hope this turns into a tradition and I hope these things sell poorly because... Well I want one but only at a discounted rate.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

From what I understand (I think Doug Smith pointed this out) the Raptors have to wear the jerseys a minimum of 4 games or something in the season because the NBA requires them to since its an "alternate jersey" - I agree with the original purpose and no they aren't pretty, but apparently they aren't wearing them again by choice

Raptors Republic Starter minks77's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure how much I support this whole military theme, especially as it didn't seem to be any military personnel at the game. At least not in uniform and they didn't have any kind of special recognition or ceremony like they do during forces nights in the US.

Anyhow I hated the digi cam unit but liked the idea of the winter camos. I mean we are watching a "winter" sport in Canada and they are the home team. Anyhow, please forgive the crude photchopping job but I'm at work:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    The jerseys are horrendous. I would rather have the original Raptor jerseys with the eyesore cartoon Raptor on the side, and the jagged pin stripes...
    i would rather see them play in bra and panties and i'm not gay.
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post

Anyway, I hope this turns into a tradition and I hope these things sell poorly because... Well I want one but only at a discounted rate.
    not sure about that because of the poppy and they have a candian flag on their military uniforms
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

There was a thread on the same subject the first time the unis were worn. Leaving aside the reasoning for the creation and wearing/honouring considerations I had mentioned that MLSE in probability is getting a chunk of the profits from this exercise (the Leafs have had their day as well). I have seen in various pieces that MLSE is contributing 20% of sales (link below) to the MIlitary fund. My understanding of typical retail pricing is that the markup is about 100% of costs to bring product to the shelf. In my view 20% is a paltry sum. I fear this is being pitched as an altruistic exercise but really just another revenue stream dreamt up by the guy warming up Peddie's chair. This should have been a non profit event with all the chest beating being done.

Oh and the look? Ugly. But not as much as the cash grab if the 20% # is accurate. Yes I know something is better than nothing. Its the retailing process I find offensive. They could have just setup a MLSE fund for the military where contributions could be made or some other mechanism or entire profits if this uni thing was going to make boatloads of money which I personally doubt.

http://blogs.thescore.com/raptorblog...yup-more-camo/

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote minks77 wrote: View Post
    I'm not sure how much I support this whole military theme, especially as it didn't seem to be any military personnel at the game. At least not in uniform and they didn't have any kind of special recognition or ceremony like they do during forces nights in the US.

Anyhow I hated the digi cam unit but liked the idea of the winter camos. I mean we are watching a "winter" sport in Canada and they are the home team. Anyhow, please forgive the crude photchopping job but I'm at work:

Did you even watch the games? there are many military dudes at the game in uniform

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote minks77 wrote: View Post

For a team to wear an alternate NBA uniform in the NBA, it has to wear it 4 times at minimum throughout the season.

The Raptors had the big forces recognition night - they just had to wear them 3 more times without the hoopla surrounding them.

Raptors Republic All-Star Employee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I think they're pretty cool too.
    Eh follow my TWITTER!

Raptors Republic All-Star DoNDaDDa's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

i like the green camo uni's.. i didnt like the choice of shoes some like Amir chose to wear with it... lime green looks sooo ugly.. & wearing bright green like that in action would be like asking for a double tap to the head, so they never fit with the whole military theme either..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote LBF wrote: View Post
    not sure about that because of the poppy and they have a candian flag on their military uniforms
    Ok, how many Canadian troops wear red camo?

You mention Poppies. This rememberence day, how many people would recognize your symbolic support if you wore a poppy which was painted neon green? Colors carry many symbolic meanings and associations. The camo jerseys are a symbolic gesture of support and I don't think this was meant to simply look cool or accessorize with the Raptors' current color scheme.
    Last edited by Apollo; Mon Apr 2nd, 2012 at 06:29 PM. Reason: Iphone...

Raptors Republic Superstar Mack North's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm liking the camo jerseys, and I like the kicks that JBay, Amir, and a few other were wearing with them. It's become a bit of a trend to wear really bright neon colors, as we saw with Baylor this NCAA tourney. The originators have always been the University of Oregon. They constantly come out with new uni's every year with great designs(not for the old traditionalist though) for their football team, and they look great. But I guess it doesn't hurt to have Nike in your backyard with it's owner as part of your alumni...
    Last edited by Mack North; Mon Apr 2nd, 2012 at 11:35 PM. Reason: sp.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I agree. Early 90's neon color styles are coming back in a big way.

Raptors Republic All-Star Employee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Neon is already going outta style!
    Eh follow my TWITTER!

Post Thanks / Like

Don't like how they look. Love the reason for wearing them.

As much as it fits the look of the military, we gotta keep the original colours but keep the theme of the military, we're the Toronto Raptors, not the Toronto soldiers.

Red Camo I'm all for it, red/white/black I would really like to see. Especially it would fit better on our court.

Raptors Republic All-Star RandomGuy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Toronto Soldiers, sounds good! Could be great alternative if the franchise would be renamed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    Did you even watch the games? there are many military dudes at the game in uniform
    I missed the first one but saw the second and third and didn't see anyone in uni. Maybe I missed it but I like scanning the crowd for biddies — I mean for, uh, people I know. When there's a similar game (w/out the unit obviously) in the states they bring em out on the court at the beginning or during halftime and they all sit court side, usually a marine/airman/seaman and infantry from local divisions are repped with all kinds of pomp. Definitely didn't see that on Sunday but it was a butthole of a game so I was only paying half a mind to it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    For a team to wear an alternate NBA uniform in the NBA, it has to wear it 4 times at minimum throughout the season.

The Raptors had the big forces recognition night - they just had to wear them 3 more times without the hoopla surrounding them.
    So they had a ceremony the first time they wore em? Why only the first time? Is it about honouring the forces who sacrifice so much for the rest of us or is it a hollow gimmick to sell some fugly jerseys? IMO if you gonna rep the forces you should carve out a small section of lower bowl seats for them. Not like Sundays game was sold out or anything.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post

Yes, a tradition would be a great idea. And I too would buy one, if the money was going towards the vets and families serving a the moment.

Thread Information