Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Bayless a Hidden Gem in Free Agency

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Bayless a Hidden Gem in Free Agency

According to John Hollinger, Jarryd Bayless would come cheap with better than expected returns:

"Bayless is working on his third team and hasn't gained much career traction in his four pro seasons, but he was quietly having a good year in Toronto before a torn oblique muscle ended his season last week. He's averaging a point every two minutes with a solid TS% (56.1), and he's not just jacking either -- he's averaged nearly seven assists per 40 minutes over the past two seasons.

While he'll never be a pure point guard, his knack for getting to the basket and drawing fouls has been complemented this season by a spike to 42.3 percent on 3s. Bayless has "Mr. Wright" potential on other levels too. He was a lottery pick, he's been traded twice, and he is still only 23. The combination of his injury and his playing in Toronto may leave him well under the radar this summer, but as a high-scoring combo guard he's one to keep an eye on."

Bayless is restricted so we should think long and hard before we let him walk. Every time he's played extended minutes and became comfortable in the role (i.e. starting), he's played well. But a 'hidden gem' I'm also interested in is Goran Dragic:

"Dragic's talent was clear even while he was regressing for Phoenix last season. And now that Kyle Lowry is out, he's showing it. In 14 games as a starter, he's averaging 17.1 points, 9.1 assists and 1.9 steals and is shooting 52.1 percent from the floor while helping to keep the ragtag Rockets in the Western Conference playoff race. (Quick reminder: Phoenix traded Dragic and a first-rounder to Houston last February for Aaron Brooks).

Dragic can be a bit erratic, and having the best sustained stretch of his career heading into contract time may strike some as a bit suspicious. But he's big and athletic for the position, he's 25, and he's still developing as a shooter. He won't come as cheaply as Wright, but he could pay big dividends."

These are the only point guards in a list of potential free agents that Hollinger classifies as hidden gems. With players like Ray Felton a disappointment this year, there really aren't that many good point guards that will become available this summer. Who would you guys pick between the two, if either?

Here's a link to Hollinger's insider article:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story...ue-free-agents

Post Thanks / Like

Either would work for me, more preferably Dragic but if we can't have Dragic I would love to welcome back Bayless.

Post Thanks / Like

I would love it if we got Dragic

Raptors Republic All-Star hateslosing's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Dragic is my pick up of choice, I think he fits well with what we are doing and he plays with a style that isn't that different from Jose's. Bayless did impress me while Jose was out though so I would no longer be upset with him stick around.
    "When Life gives you lemons, you clone those Lemons to make super lemons!"
    -Scudworth

Raptors Republic Starter Ambidextrious's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Resign Bayless to a 4 year $18 million contract. If all goes planned get a top 5 pick. Draft bpa hopefully MKG or Anthony Davis or Thomas Robinson. Hopefully BC can find hidden gem with the 2nd rounder. Add Jonas Valaciunas to the mix and next year should be exicing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote hateslosing wrote: View Post
    Dragic is my pick up of choice, I think he fits well with what we are doing and he plays with a style that isn't that different from Jose's.
    Judging from our record, his style of play does not contribute to winning basketball. We've had Jose here for 7 seasons now with him at the helm in 5 of them. The result is only 1 winning season and 3 subpar ones.

Raptors Republic Starter saints91's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Dragic is 8 and 6 as a starter right now.

Raptors Republic Superstar Chr1s1anL's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Jerryd Bayless his younger and cheaper. We already know he wants to be here.
    @Chr1st1anL

Raptors Republic Superstar Chr1s1anL's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote saints91 wrote: View Post
    Dragic is 8 and 6 as a starter right now.
    we were playing .500 ball with Jerryd Bayless
    @Chr1st1anL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Prime wrote: View Post
    Judging from our record, his style of play does not contribute to winning basketball. We've had Jose here for 7 seasons now with him at the helm in 5 of them. The result is only 1 winning season and 3 subpar ones.
    I think we all agree that neither Jose or Dragic are huge difference makers, they need a team around them, and to be fair to Jose, he has never been on a team stacked with talent so team record is not a good judgement.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
    we were playing .500 ball with Jerryd Bayless
    2-3
    wins over Cleveland and Memphis
    losses to New Jersey, Charlotte, and Milwaukee

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I would rather go another year with Calderon than commit 4 years to either Bayless or Dragic.

Somehow, someway, find a PG that's much less of a project (either on draft night, or at next year's trade deadline, using Calderon as bait).
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    I would rather go another year with Calderon than commit 4 years to either Bayless or Dragic.

Somehow, someway, find a PG that's much less of a project (either on draft night, or at next year's trade deadline, using Calderon as bait).
    Sure to shock many but I'm not keen on keeping Bayless as a starter.

I would be interested in knowing what Calderon could fetch on the trade market. Could he bring back Wesley Matthews - maybe throw in a 2nd round pick? Portland is going to be in desperate need of a PG.

With a glaring hole at PG now, Dragic could be an interesting possibility with next year's draft focus being a PG (Kabongo maybe?).

I won't mention Nash - oh sh!t, I just did.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Seems like slim pickins out there? I would much rather spend our money elsewhere if its possible. Bayless gives off a bad vibe when I see him play, just reminds me of a Jarret Jack mentally. I wonder if he's also a cancer in the locker room like JJack. Maybe someone will put up a crazy offer and we won't have to think about it.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Me too.

I don't see the point of signing a backup player for 4 years when the Raptors should, at a minimum, consider acquiring a potential long-term solution for the 2013-14 season or sooner.

Raptors Republic All-Star Miekenstien's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

agreed. i don't think we should get rid of calderon if there isn't a clear upgrade available. that said i think that if a deal for jose comes up on draft day colangelo will do it and take his chances signing another guard to start or letting bayless do it.

Post Thanks / Like

Over the past 5 games

Dragic is averaging: 20.4 ppg, 7.6 apg, 4 rpg, 54% FG shooting, 48% from 3

And he's an ok defender aswell just imagine what DC could do with someone like that

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Sure to shock many but I'm not keen on keeping Bayless as a starter.

I would be interested in knowing what Calderon could fetch on the trade market. Could he bring back Wesley Matthews - maybe throw in a 2nd round pick? Portland is going to be in desperate need of a PG.

With a glaring hole at PG now, Dragic could be an interesting possibility with next year's draft focus being a PG (Kabongo maybe?).

I won't mention Nash - oh sh!t, I just did.
    It's funny you mentioned that, as I was just thinking last night that if the Raptors think they have a real shot at signing Nash, they should try to work a deal to send DeRozan & Calderon (and Amir and/or both 2nd round picks) to Portland for their 2 lottery picks (assuming they get NJ's pick). Imagine the Raptors drafting MKG & Beal & Marshall? Then they use all their cap space to go hard after Nash and Mayo.

STARTERS
    C: Valanciunas
    PF: Bargnani
    SF: MKG
    SG: Mayo
    PG: Nash

2ND UNIT
    C: E.Davis
    PF: Kleiza
    SF: J.Johnson
    SG: Beal
    PG: Marshall

BENCH
    - Gray (true C)
    - Forbes (3rd SG/PG)

Yes it's 4 rookies, but seriously good rookies and only 2 per unit, with 2 good veterans being signed. Of course it's largely contingent on being able to lure Nash back home to replace Calderon!

As for Bayless, if I'm BC, I'm distributing that article to every other GM in the league with a personalized message at the end... "S&T??? Love, BC". Bayless only role on the Raptors going forward, should be as an asset to improve the team and make it better than it is with him playing the point (as a starter or backup).

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post

STARTERS
    C: Valanciunas
    PF: Bargnani
    SF: MKG
    SG: Mayo
    PG: Nash

2ND UNIT
    C: E.Davis
    PF: Kleiza
    SF: J.Johnson
    SG: Beal
    PG: Marshall
    This would be a dream scenario, which means it's almost guaranteed not to happen
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    It's funny you mentioned that, as I was just thinking last night that if the Raptors think they have a real shot at signing Nash, they should try to work a deal to send DeRozan & Calderon (and Amir and/or both 2nd round picks) to Portland for their 2 lottery picks (assuming they get NJ's pick). Imagine the Raptors drafting MKG & Beal & Marshall? Then they use all their cap space to go hard after Nash and Mayo.
    Why would a Portland trade 2 lottery picks for DeRozan, Calderon, and AJohnson? I am not even counting the 2 second round picks because the majority of players selected that low end up as fringe players who are out of the NBA very quickly.

Thread Information