Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Bayless a Hidden Gem in Free Agency

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    This would be a dream scenario, which means it's almost guaranteed not to happen
    buzzzkill! lol

It wouldn't require too much luck at all for the Raptors to get the #2 pick and Portland to end up with #4 and something around #10-12.

Going back to last year's trade deadline, I've read several rumors that had Portland being quite high on both DeRozan and Calderon as well, so it's not entirely out of the realm of impossibility. DeRozan and Batum would be great on the wing together and Calderon would be fantastic running the P&R with Aldridge (and Amir if they wanted him for the 2nd unit). Giving up 3 good rotation players, as well as 2 2nd round picks, seems like a pretty good haul for their 2 lottery picks. Hell, Toronto could even through in a future top-3 protected 1st round pick to sweeten the deal.

Signing Nash and Mayo would be the most unlikely parts of the scenario, but money could talk for Mayo and Nash almost seems destined for a Canadian reunion, so who knows... we can dream in the wake of this post-NCAA tourney, draft pick kool-aid drinking bball fest, right?!?!

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Both players are spazzy pants-on-fire outta-control hot-potato jack-it-up slither-slather akkk-what-the-feck-did-you-just-dooooo guys that, for me, are unwatchable.

Post Thanks / Like

To paraphrase: They're not prototypical PG's who can consistently run an offense.

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

they are guys who will do some crazy shit sometimes and also fuck up at times. Pass first pg's are frustrating too, like watching jose dribble it under the basketball a hundred times instead of laying it up

Post Thanks / Like

Quote NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    Pass first pg's are frustrating too, like watching jose dribble it under the basketball a hundred times instead of laying it up
    Hahahah Thats my favourite move!
    In Masai we Trust.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Why does the title of this thread brings back nightmarish memories of waking up to half-hour long Zirconia Cubic infomercial in the middle of the night?

Raptors Republic All-Star ebrian's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Who's this Mr Wright that this thread is referring to?

I cannot think of a single impact point guard in the NBA named Wright. Come to think of it, I can't think of a single impact player at any position in the NBA named Wright.
    your pal,
    ebrian

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I love/hate how we simplify the PG debate into 2 large generalizations (i.e. pass-first, or shoot-first).

I don't want either type of PG. Instead, I want a quarterback able to create easy looks for his teammates, and can make the defense pay when they cheat. Stick with Calderon until that PG is discovered.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic All-Star Soft Euro's Avatar
    Utrecht, The Netherlands (Yes, that's Europe!)
    Post Thanks / Like

I love/hate how we simplify the PG debate into 2 large generalizations (i.e. pass-first, or shoot-first).

I don't want either type of PG. Instead, I want a quarterback able to create easy looks for his teammates, and can make the defense pay when they cheat. Stick with Calderon until that PG is discovered.
    Agreed. There are a lot of variables at play here. It's all about fit, and that's about the other pieces that will be around our 'pointguard of the future' which we don't know yet.

Suppose we get a sg like Eric Gordon, who handles the ball a lot and can adequately play the pick and roll; in that case the need to get a high caliber ball distributor who can play the pnr at the pg position wouldn't be as much of a need. As long as the team has at least a secondary guy to play the offense through (Bargnani - with a questionmark - ?) and e.g. a second unit guy like Barbosa/Barea/Bayless, it would be ok to have a pg who can defend the average pg pretty well and who can hit an open shot; a 4 milj/year guy.

First and foremost we need more talent, nevermind what kind of talent. Secondly, because of 'fit' I think we need a ballhandler who can play the pick and roll, but then again, 90% of the nba teams need that to be succesfull.

Raptors Republic Starter SuperRaptor's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Bayless is the man.

Bayless is stacked, I can't believe all the bayless haters ... all this guy does is put up all star like numbers whenever he gets a chance to start, and all we do is bash him.

His assist numbers are not bad enough for him to be a ball hog, but yes he is more aggressive with his shot than Jose, that is not a crime.

Bayless ftw.

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote SuperRaptor wrote: View Post
    Bayless is stacked, I can't believe all the bayless haters ... all this guy does is put up all star like numbers whenever he gets a chance to start, and all we do is bash him.

His assist numbers are not bad enough for him to be a ball hog, but yes he is more aggressive with his shot than Jose, that is not a crime.

Bayless ftw.
    Apparently numbers don't mean anything

Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote ebrian wrote: View Post

I cannot think of a single impact point guard in the NBA named Wright. Come to think of it, I can't think of a single impact player at any position in the NBA named Wright.
    Julian Wright? Raps had him.

Post Thanks / Like

Calderon makes the defense pay when they cheat better than we think, especially recently.

Raptors Republic All-Star ebrian's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Puffer wrote: View Post
    Julian Wright? Raps had him.
    Is this a sign? Either the NBA is due for a good player named Wright, or it's a sign that there are no good players named Wright.
    your pal,
    ebrian

Post Thanks / Like

Quote NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    Apparently numbers don't mean anything
    (See James, Mike).
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Post Thanks / Like

Quote RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
    Calderon makes the defense pay when they cheat better than we think, especially recently.
    Yes, be he doesn't have 5+ years of high-level play left in his tank. Plus he's a liability on the defensive end. Watching Calderon guard (if you can call it that) DJ Augustin was downright embarrassing.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, be he doesn't have 5+ years of high-level play left in his tank. Plus he's a liability on the defensive end. Watching Calderon guard (if you can call it that) DJ Augustin was downright embarrassing.
    Bayless didn't fair much better in Charlotte a few weeks ago.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote ebrian wrote: View Post

The article is talking about Brandon Wright, from what I can gather. Hardly the 'impact' player you were hoping for .. Sorry man. Haha

I guess the comparison being he's coming on strong for the Mavericks, and Dallas will have a decision to make come the summer time.
    In Masai we Trust.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
    we were playing .500 ball with Jerryd Bayless
    By this logic Deron Williams is a lousy PG.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Strange!
    There is a guy in Phoenix who became MVP doing that.
    No I am not saying Jose is a good as Nash WAS (notice I emphesized was), but now I would say stick with Jose unless you can get a better PG. There is only a handfull of those that might remotely be available:
    1. Deron Williams. I acutually believe Raptors have a slight chance of getting him (what is our competition: Nets & Dalas. After Dallas guts its team to get him what is left? 30 plus Dirk & what????????????)
    2. Rondo. 2 problems: Ang would probably want Jonas, this years first & God knows what else; b) Why is he putting those crazy numbers now & not always? Do you want a PG that only plays hard when he is pissed?
    3. Parker. Hide your wifes & girfriends. I do not think (if true) having him around is good for morale. Also he is way more effective shoot first. If you PG always shoots, how are JV, Ed .....going to develop?
    4. Westbrook (If OKC does not at least make it to western final).
    5. Lin. Give me a break
    6. Nash. Now?????????????? If anything Nash would want to go either go to contender or stay in Phoenix.
    I'd say, we stick with Jose & Bayless for now & focus on improving other areas.
    Oh yes, why not take a flyer on a long shot PG in 2nd round?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information