Witnessed my first live game Sunday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Witnessed my first live game Sunday

Been a hardcore fan for years but saw my first game live from the 2nd row on Sunday..

Bad uniforms and a pretty boring game, but an amazing experience none the less. Everything from watching warm up, to seeing Jack in the pre game.

Crowd was pretty lame. Not many people wearing jerseys, and people in court side seats didn't seem to care at all and some even left early. Pretty upsetting for someone who loves them Raps like me. I do sense we have better fans, and I'm hoping it gets better as the team gets better.

Was happy they won, but as a full fledged member of Tank Nation, lets wrap up the season on a nice 9 game losing streak. I saw someone mention in another thread about the difference a couple spots in the draft can make. (#9 Derozan, #7 Curry....) We all know we play hard, can run with the big boys occasionally and are def not the worst team in the league... Losing our final few games won't crush the teams culture, but the better pic could be franchise changing!

I'm praying for a top 3 pick, and my heart flutters at the though of JV and AD in the front court.

Anyway, hears hoping I can move to T.O. so I can watch all the games.

Oh, and the ACC is gorgeous!

Toinsy wrote: View Post
    ...Oh, and the ACC is gorgeous!
    It is a great facility, and hopefully a couple of great teams will use it in a couple of years :-)

A live game is definitely a whole different experience. I've been in the second row a few times, and up in the balcony and in the lower bowl a few times. For my money the best seats are the first couple of rows in the balcony, mid court area. But I prefer to watch the games on TV actually. Don't need the crowd to get my juices flowing.

Comment

I think it was Bendit who mentioned that the difference between Valanciunas and Vesely was the 5th and 6th picks last year.

Comment

Been a hardcore fan for years but saw my first game live from the 2nd row on Sunday.
        Congratulations and glad to read you enjoyed the experience.

I prefer to see sporting events live whenever I can because it allows me to view the whole field (or focus on a particular player), not on the ball/puck. It's not intrinsically better than television, just more to my liking.

Comment

i'm not a hockey fan by any stretch, I'll watch the World Juniors over the holidays if I can find the time, otherwise I'll only watch a game if I'm at a friends place. That said I got free tickets to 3 Senators games before I moved to Rwanda, and really enjoyed the experience. I felt like it was easier to track the play and see when/how goals were scored.

However, I'm a huge basketball fan and have paid my own money for my dad and I to go watch raps games at the ACC, including game 1 of the playoff series against the Nets (the amount of defaced Carter jersey's was insane, and much appreciated!) The the playoff game was great except that we lost... but the other times we've gone I've always been a little let down. I always felt like the stands are filled with people who aren't really fans but are there because they got free tickets or package tickets from work.

Also it is really disappointing that the best seats seemed to be empty or filled with people who don't give a crap. I prefer to watch the game at home. However, when I'm rich, I will pay for courtside seats for my dad and me 1 time. Unless, I'm super rich than I'll buy one courtside season ticket for dad ('cus he lives in the t dot now.) and get courtside seats for the playoffs... how great would that be!!!

But on the whole I much prefer watching the game at home/bar with other basketball junkies.
          "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

I live in the 'burbs, so I restrict myself to 5-10 games per season. When you factor in rush hour traffic, parking costs, and post-game traffic, attending a game live can be a giant pain in the ass. Sometimes it's nice to watch the game in the comfort of your own living room, eating a home cooked meal, and still have time after the game to do something else.

Having said that, every Raptor fan should attend a live game once in their lives. When the team is competitive, a sold out ACC has to be seen/heard up close. It's goosebump-inducing.

Comment

ezz_bee wrote: View Post
              i'm not a hockey fan by any stretch, I'll watch the World Juniors over the holidays if I can find the time, otherwise I'll only watch a game if I'm at a friends place. That said I got free tickets to 3 Senators games before I moved to Rwanda, and really enjoyed the experience. I felt like it was easier to track the play and see when/how goals were scored.

However, I'm a huge basketball fan and have paid my own money for my dad and I to go watch raps games at the ACC, including game 1 of the playoff series against the Nets (the amount of defaced Carter jersey's was insane, and much appreciated!) The the playoff game was great except that we lost... but the other times we've gone I've always been a little let down. I always felt like the stands are filled with people who aren't really fans but are there because they got free tickets or package tickets from work.

Also it is really disappointing that the best seats seemed to be empty or filled with people who don't give a crap. I prefer to watch the game at home. However, when I'm rich, I will pay for courtside seats for my dad and me 1 time. Unless, I'm super rich than I'll buy one courtside season ticket for dad ('cus he lives in the t dot now.) and get courtside seats for the playoffs... how great would that be!!!

But on the whole I much prefer watching the game at home/bar with other basketball junkies.
              You think Raptors games are bad? Regular season Leaf games are horrendous, as the entire lower bowl (especially the platinum seats) are all business people there for show and schmoozing! Back in the early-mid 2000s I used to get last minute seats to all sorts of Leafs and Raptors games from the company I worked for (they owned a Platinum box) and going to the hockey games made me feel out of place sitting there and watching the game (let alone actually cheering). It was so boring.

The Raptors games were a much better atmosphere, but still could be quiet down there - I really liked the weekend games, as the big companies tended to give their tickets to employees who actually wanted to be there to watch the game and cheer on the team.

Getting to go to more live Raptors games is definitely one of the things I miss most about living in Toronto. I was able to take my wife to a game last season and I'm looking forward to getting to a game or two next season. I find watching it live, especially if you can sit down close, definitely gives you a much different perspective and a whole new apprecitation for all the little things that go on during a game that you don't really even notice on tv.
              Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Tue Apr 3, 2012, 02:42 PM.

Comment

people in court side seats didn't seem to care at all and some even left early. Pretty upsetting for someone who loves them Raps like me. I do sense we have better fans, and I'm hoping it gets better as the team gets better.
                It's rare to see real average Joe fans represented in the good seats. They cost too much. That goes for most pro sports I think.

Comment

Fans just need something to cheer about. I remember the ACC in May 2011 when Carter hit the 9 threes against Philly. Entire sections were standing and people were dancing in the aisles, high-fiving and hugging strangers. It was still one of the most amazing sporting events I have seen live. Even during the Jersey series in 2007 the crowd was great. In 2008, the HOW-ARD chants were awesome. Raps crowds are good if they have a reason to be. You can't expect home crowds to get too excited watching a 20-win team whose main goal is getting more ping pong balls...

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                    I think it was Bendit who mentioned that the difference between Valanciunas and Vesely was the 5th and 6th picks last year.
                    The difference between Thompson and Valanciunas was 4th and 5th.

Comment

Working...
                    X