Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ed Davis' Future in Toronto (Tim Chisolm)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Either way, I'm just glad I'm not Colangelo.

He's got a lot of tough decisions to make this summer. It wouldn't surprise me to see half the roster gone.
    This summer is right up his alley. He likes flexibility in terms of trades and free agency. This is his dream scenario, I think. Now he just needs to deliver.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
      This summer is right up his alley. He likes flexibility in terms of trades and free agency. This is his dream scenario, I think. Now he just needs to deliver.
      agreed. this is where the myths are made. he can expand on his ability to make trades and quickly turn things around. for ed, i think that whichever of him and amir get the better return is the one that goes. with the new cba kicking in soon, money is so important and i think he will try to move amir first.

Comment

I think Ed's 14 rebounds last night may help him be the guy we keep over Amir. He showed a decent lefty hook on a post up as well. I thought he may turn into a Horace grant type player, but I am not so sold on his offensive ability, but teh rebounding and defence is where he can make a name for himself.
        Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

I don't think there was a ever question over Ed's rebounding ability. But what else does he do?

Comment

WJF wrote: View Post
            I think Ed's 14 rebounds last night may help him be the guy we keep over Amir. He showed a decent lefty hook on a post up as well. I thought he may turn into a Horace grant type player, but I am not so sold on his offensive ability, but teh rebounding and defence is where he can make a name for himself.
            Watching the game, it looked like 6-7 of those rebounds just dropped into his hands. That will happen periodically to any player (except Andrea). I am more interested in seeing hustle plays from Ed, and effective box outs. I can't say that last night stood out in that regard.

Comment

Ed's got a nose for the ball. It's a fact. He has trouble getting around guys boxing him out and his offense is pretty much comatose but you can't deny what he can do defensively and rebounding wise. Keep in mind he's never really had a training camp and has gone from a offensive minded coach to a defensive minded one. The more I think about it the more I have to cut him a little slack. I'd give him 1 more year. He needs to put on some serious muscle though.
              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                Ed's got a nose for the ball. It's a fact. He has trouble getting around guys boxing him out and his offense is pretty much comatose but you can't deny what he can do defensively and rebounding wise. Keep in mind he's never really had a training camp and has gone from a offensive minded coach to a defensive minded one. The more I think about it the more I have to cut him a little slack. I'd give him 1 more year. He needs to put on some serious muscle though.
                I totally agree with you and I would prefer to keep Davis and trade Amir, but I think your points about him (and his ceiling/salary VS Amir's) are also likely the reason why he will have much more trade value around the leage. Davis is already basically the same player Amir is. With Amir, you know what you have, for better or worse. Davis would seem to have a higher ceiling, is a bit younger and has a much more attractive salary. That's why I think he's likely the one to be traded, as he'll net the Raptors better gains in a trade.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                  I totally agree with you and I would prefer to keep Davis and trade Amir, but I think your points about him (and his ceiling/salary VS Amir's) are also likely the reason why he will have much more trade value around the leage. Davis is already basically the same player Amir is. With Amir, you know what you have, for better or worse. Davis would seem to have a higher ceiling, is a bit younger and has a much more attractive salary. That's why I think he's likely the one to be traded, as he'll net the Raptors better gains in a trade.
                  This is exactly what ive been saying!!!!

At worst, Ed would end up like Amir, but we dont know his ceiling yet.

If you have an Ipad2 and then was given an Ipad3, why would you keep the ipad2 when the ipad3 can do exactly what the ipad2 can, plus more???

Comment

tbihis wrote: View Post

If you have an Ipad2 and then was given an Ipad3, why would you keep the ipad2 when the ipad3 can do exactly what the ipad2 can, plus more???

But in this example, it's not clear which of Amir and Ed is the iPad3 (because right now, Amir provides more than Ed).

Just because Ed's young, that doesn't mean he's guaranteed to improve. For all we know, he could already be at his ceiling.

Comment

tbihis wrote: View Post

Allow me to follow your analogy, kind sir.

So now I have two Ipads, but my TV is on the fritz. Lets also say that I am quite happy with my Ipad2, as it is doing everything that I need/expect my Ipad to do. If I go shopping and discover that I could trade my Ipad2 for a 32" tv and could trade my Ipad3 for a 50" plasma flat screen tv, knowing I'm quite happy with my Ipad2, then it would make sense to trade my shiny new Ipad3, wouldn't it? I'm happy with the Ipad2 as is and I'm improving my overall entertainment experience the most by trading for the 50" screen, as opposed ot the 32" screen.

Or in Raptors terms, think of it as a comparison of these equations:
                      1) Davis as your backup PF + what Amir could be traded for
                      2) Amir as your backup PF + what Davis could be traded for

I am happy with Amir as a backup PF and I think Davis could net a bigger return in a trade, therefore I go with Option #2 (ie: trade my Ipad3 ;-) )

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                        Allow me to follow your analogy, kind sir.

So now I have two Ipads, but my TV is on the fritz. Lets also say that I am quite happy with my Ipad2, as it is doing everything that I need/expect my Ipad to do. If I go shopping and discover that I could trade my Ipad2 for a 32" tv and could trade my Ipad3 for a 50" plasma flat screen tv, knowing I'm quite happy with my Ipad2, then it would make sense to trade my shiny new Ipad3, wouldn't it? I'm happy with the Ipad2 as is and I'm improving my overall entertainment experience the most by trading for the 50" screen, as opposed ot the 32" screen.

Or in Raptors terms, think of it as a comparison of these equations:
                        1) Davis as your backup PF + what Amir could be traded for
                        2) Amir as your backup PF + what Davis could be traded for

I am happy with Amir as a backup PF and I think Davis could net a bigger return in a trade, therefore I go with Option #2 (ie: trade my Ipad3 ;-) )
                        hahahahaha nice analogy.

Im actually thinking the opposite. Im guessing teams would probably covet Amir over Davis because with Amir, like you said, you know exactly what youre getting. No need to develop and not considered as a project anymore, plus, he's been in the league for 7 years and he's only 25. He does not need to "grow" with the other players. Probably the salary would be the only deterrent. But for teams who are looking to maintain rather than rebuild, theyd probably go after Amir.

Ed would be more suited with the young, rebuilding raptors. He'd be able to "grow" with the team.

Comment

Amir gives you heart, hustle and impact plays on both ends of the floor.

Ed has a good ceiling, and has a good nose for the ball, rebounding and a very good shot blocker. I just want him to have the intangibles that Amir bring every night.

Ed hasn't had a proper training camp, and two different coaches in two different seasons, he production is solid. He's the only Raptor to play in every game, saying his health is good. But no training and practice time with another coaching change. I mean I could go on and on about what Ed Davis hasn't received which all NBA players get, and he continues to really do a nice job for the team.

Add muscle and give him a full training camp, and all that other facility/coaching stuff, and he'll be good to go. Finally feeling the same vibe that I felt last season, which he lacked during the start of the season.
                          Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

All of you people saying keep Ed are completely ignoring the fact that the Raps won't be able to afford him if they pay DeRozan. Personally I'd be furious if the Raps tie most of their money up in Bargs, DeRozan and Davis (even if they trade Amir away to clear space). There's no superstar in that group, no franchise player, and worst of all Ed's contract would likely overlap when the club will need to pay Val and this year's rookie. I'm sorry, but keeping Ed Davis is more pipe dream than reality unless he shows zero improvement between now and extension day and they can get him for dirt cheap.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                              I don't think there was a ever question over Ed's rebounding ability. But what else does he do?
                              Ed is an instinctive player and has struggled with his defensive rotations. I think he will benefit greatly from repetitions in training camp.

One thing Ed has improved in the latter part of this season is finding space on the offensive end. It looks to me that Ed is scoring a much higher percentage of his shots from the half court plays (not fast breaks or put backs) than he did last year.

Comment

Lark Benson wrote: View Post
                                All of you people saying keep Ed are completely ignoring the fact that the Raps won't be able to afford him if they pay DeRozan. Personally I'd be furious if the Raps tie most of their money up in Bargs, DeRozan and Davis (even if they trade Amir away to clear space). There's no superstar in that group, no franchise player, and worst of all Ed's contract would likely overlap when the club will need to pay Val and this year's rookie. I'm sorry, but keeping Ed Davis is more pipe dream than reality unless he shows zero improvement between now and extension day and they can get him for dirt cheap.
                                I'm not sure keeping ED is as straight forward as that long term.

The Raptors will have Bird Rights and the right to match in restricted free agency. Implying that DeRozan and ED are going to command top dollar is a little premature based on their play.

Assuming they do reach their full potential, again, there will be Bird Rights. Assuming they get Amir to Afflalo stil contracts ($6-$8M) they are retainable. Assuming they are not worht $6-$8M per year, they are probably not worth keeping.

Comment

Working...
                                X