Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Trade the pick: ESPN late to the party (274)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trade the pick: ESPN late to the party (274)

At what point do you trade the pick?

Raptors Republic All-Star Miekenstien's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

i was wondering that too. if it is high ones or low teens? would you trade it for batum if portland would?

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you trade the pick?

Or keep the pick, draft the best player available, and then trade the player if he doesn't fit?
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Post Thanks / Like

For this year I don't think I see any reason to trade the pick. We need to see what Jonas can do vs. NBA plays. The roster is far from set for next year and a top 7 draft pick should have a spot.

Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Agreed. I don't think you trade this years pick even if it's the worst case scenario...which I think is the 10th pick in the draft. Keeping in mind that outside of the consensus #1 pick in the draft anyone, and I mean anyone can rise or drop in the draft after the combines and private work outs.

Post Thanks / Like

Fun to think about. I think we start having this conversation once we know our draft position. Nice thing about this draft is if we get a high draft pick we can get our 3 (Barnes/MKG), if we get a lower draft pick we can get our 1 (Lillard/Marshall). So the trade scenario will have to be specific for me to even consider it. That being said, we should start fielding calls for trading the pick after we get our draft order and see some workouts.

Post Thanks / Like

I think with BC's desire to hit next season running trading the pick if we fall out of the top 7 or so becomes very real

Raptors Republic Superstar Bendit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Lets not totally gloom & doom on our draft position. Remember what happened with Cleveland last year...their 8th slot (the Clippers pick) became the 1st on lottery day. I dont believe one can seriously mull the trade question until we at least know our draft position after the lottery...and it also depends on who remains on the board by the time our pick is on the clock.

Raptors Republic All-Star Soft Euro's Avatar
    Utrecht, The Netherlands (Yes, that's Europe!)
    Post Thanks / Like

And what we can get for it.

Raptors Republic All-Star Soft Euro's Avatar
    Utrecht, The Netherlands (Yes, that's Europe!)
    Post Thanks / Like

Strange tag

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

If we get a 6-10th pick, I'm down to trade the pick plus bargnani to get the first pick. (just a pipe dream-no salary calculations were taken into consideration)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Bendit wrote: View Post
    Lets not totally gloom & doom on our draft position. Remember what happened with Cleveland last year...their 8th slot (the Clippers pick) became the 1st on lottery day. I dont believe one can seriously mull the trade question until we at least know our draft position after the lottery...and it also depends on who remains on the board by the time our pick is on the clock.
    Agreed. Also depends on how the lottery shakes down with regards to other teams, especially those with (potentially) multiple lottery picks. At this point, I would say even the #1 pick could be traded for the right deal (ie: for a top-3 pick, a 2nd lottery pick and/or a good rotation player). With so much unclear beyond the #1 pick and with the Raptors having so many assets at their disposal to use in any number of trades, it's hard to answer the thread's question straight-up at this time.

To try and play along, assuming the thread was talking about trading down/out of the draft as opposed to trading up (which would require more than just the Raptors' lottery pick), I would think the Raptors would be happy drafting a player at least down to #6 (Davis, MKG, Beal, TRob, Drummond, Barnes), or basically as far down as Barnes drops. I still think the Raptors like Barnes, at least as their 3rd favourite wing. If those happen to be the top-6 picks and the Raptors pick at #7 or lower, then there could be a whole new level of trade discussion going on. At that point, I could realistically see the Raps trading their pick for a lower lottery pick, to draft Marshall as the PG-of-the-future, along with another asset.

Post Thanks / Like

unless we get 1 or 2 I'm trading it for two mid first rounders

Raptors Republic Superstar TheGloveinRapsUniform's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Soft Euro wrote: View Post
    Strange tag
    hahahaha yeah why does it say fart

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Keep the pick or trade down a few spots

I'd keep the pick. I think it would be hard to trade it for two mid round picks, at least in this year's draft, and I'd prefer to keep building from within. With the log jam imminent among the bigs and the need to bolster at 1, 2 and 3 it looks like a current roster player or two may be moving on. Amir and Ed get the most talk regarding this and keeping a higher pick to add to the bigs doesn't seem ideal when JV is coming. If Raps land in high in the draft and see a player they can trade down to to get, then there might be some motive for that, but otherwise stand pat with the draft pick. Let's wait and see how the lottery shakes out.

Raptors Republic Superstar TheGloveinRapsUniform's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

If there are teams who are willing to offer their best player, then id trade the pick. Some teams could be on the verge of rebuilding, or might want to get rid of their superstars who they might think are not a part of their future anymore, i.e. Rondo, Gay, Granger, E.Gordon, B. Jennings.

Post Thanks / Like

This is one off the best drafts in quit some time i think you keep the draft pick unless some team makes you an offer that you cant turn down.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote tbihis wrote: View Post
    If there are teams who are willing to offer their best player, then id trade the pick. Some teams could be on the verge of rebuilding, or might want to get rid of their superstars who they might think are not a part of their future anymore, i.e. Rondo, Gay, Granger, E.Gordon, B. Jennings.
    If i was offered any of those players for our draft pick i would be stupid if i didnt trade the pick for them but thats just me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    I think with BC's desire to hit next season running trading the pick if we fall out of the top 7 or so becomes very real
    It's something I've been thinking about when I look at the roster. The current roster seems a mess to me if you're adding two 20-year olds to a mix where your two best players are a 27 year old PF in the prime of his career and a 30-year old PG at the end of his. If the plan is to continue to have Bargs and Derozan as focal points and WIN NOW, then I don't see any value of adding rookies whose primes are 4-5 years away from even starting. If there is a shift to building around JV and the 2012 pick, then I don't see the sense of continuing to run the team around Bargs/Derozan/Calderon.

Again, I know Matt has "5 years, finally gets it" pic and a lot of people have confidence in this front office but I am still unclear what the grand plan is in Raptorland. When I hear, "we're developing the young guys" and see Calderon and Bargs playing 40 minutes, I sense dissonance and ask, 'what young guys?'. My fear, is that they're adopting some half-assed approach that gets the team nowhere.

It's the main reason I am hoping against hope for the #1 pick. It would mean the end of the Bargnani era, a restructuring of this roster, and a clear direction that the organization is building around JV/Davis. Short of that, I see a lot more Bargnani and Derozan and a lot more losing....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote tbihis wrote: View Post
    I would not trade for Jennings or Eric Gordon using a pick in the 4-9 range. Gordon in his 4 season on NBA has played 78, 62, 56, and 2 games, that is 3 seasons in a row missing significant time, not good fat all. Jennings still has some upside, but how does he fit with a defensive coach and a team with bigs that need touches?

Thread Information