Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Trade the pick: ESPN late to the party (274)

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Zach Randolph is far from 100%?
    true. He's playing hurt out there you can see it. He's not impacting the game like he usually does

Raptors Republic All-Star Miekenstien's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    From a Memphis perspective, I think any trade talk for Gay will have to start with DeRozan. I would be fine with DeRozan, Amir, JJ, Toronto's 2013 1st round pick and a 2012 1st round pick (which Toronto will have to find a way to acquire in another deal, so they are able to keep at least one lottery pick).
    i think 2 firsts is a bit steep for gay

Raptors Republic Rookie Jon_Wade's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Just curious but what do you think it would take to get john wall? Next years pick derozan and davis?
    Whoever told you skies the limit is looking dumb because I'm 22 and i'm moonwalking on the sun.

Post Thanks / Like

Just looked at the corner of my monitor, and guess what I noticed? ONLY TWELVE MORE DAYS!

Man I can't wait, It's sure gonna be interesting though

Post Thanks / Like

Default Simmons' rant about Rudy Gay

Had no idea where to put this and didn't want to make a thread, but here it is.

The Theo Ratliff's Expiring Contract Award for "Most Times Per Minute That Someone's Name Is About to Be Ejaculated by ESPN.com's Trade Machine"

To Rudy Gay, who spent Round 1 being defended by Caron Butler (playing with a broken hand), Randy Foye (six inches shorter than Gay) and Nick Young (who spent the last 25 years carefully constructing his life so the word "defense" was never involved) and submitted these numbers: 19.0 PPG, 42.1% FG, 21.1% 3FG, 5.7 FTA, 15.2 PER and in the fourth quarter of Game 7, had more turnovers (one) than made field goals (zero) as the Clippers pulled away in Memphis.

So what happens now? The Grizzlies are sitting at $62 million in 2013, and that's not counting O.J. Mayo (a restricted free agent). Should they dump Gay's contract to a young team with cap space (Toronto, Cleveland, Portland, New Orleans, etc.) for a 2012 lottery pick? Could they flip him to Minnesota for Derrick Williams? What if they flipped him for Tyreke Evans (who makes one-third as much money)? Am I overrating his value? Should they keep him and let Mayo leave? And how much easier would this decision be had the Grizzlies picked James Harden instead of Hasheem Thabeet? That reminds me
    He makes some mildly valid points about how low his stock is. Would you throw the pick at Memphis for Gay?
    @jerboat

Post Thanks / Like

no i wouldn't because PJ3 has a chance to be better

Post Thanks / Like

Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    Had no idea where to put this and didn't want to make a thread, but here it is.

He makes some mildly valid points about how low his stock is. Would you throw the pick at Memphis for Gay?
    I would in a heartbeat. But I wouldn't complain if we were still left with PJ3

Raptors Republic Rookie Demar_8756's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

KEEP!!! there no one worth trading for

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

If we drop to 8th or lower, I would be open to trading our pick for Gay, as long as we get Memphis' pick (in the low-mid 20's, and take a chance on someone like Tony Wroten Jr.).
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Post Thanks / Like

Our team is based on pure potential. We don't have enough talent. Gay is a proven talent and that is what we need. I am all for trading the pick for him.

To me, there are no variables here. I don't care if someone has a "chance" to be better. What are we a bunch of compulsive gamblers?

Post Thanks / Like

In a heartbeat I would. Gay is proven. He's an all-star/borderline allstar. Jones hasn't done shit and may never amount to anything.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote MangoKid wrote: View Post
    In a heartbeat I would. Gay is proven. He's an all-star/borderline allstar. Jones hasn't done shit and may never amount to anything.
    ya gay was real impressive in the playoffs... PJ3 hasn't even played single minute in the league and your already ripping him, real classy.

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

It wasn't a "rip". What Mango said about Jones is true. He hasn't done anything (at the NBA level) yet, and it is theoretically possible he ends up a bust.

If we fastforward 5 years, and Perry Jones is playing in the D-League, it would suck looking back to the summer of 2012 and realizing that we gave up chasing Rudy Gay because we assumed Jones was the answer.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Post Thanks / Like

How bout going through how many times that has already happened to this franchise?

Raptors Republic Starter RapthoseLeafs's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote LBF wrote: View Post
    Our team is based on pure potential. We don't have enough talent. Gay is a proven talent and that is what we need. I am all for trading the pick for him.

To me, there are no variables here. I don't care if someone has a "chance" to be better. What are we a bunch of compulsive gamblers?
    Exactly !!!

I can never figure out why some fans prefer to trade our players for "potential". It's like winning some cash, then using it to buy more chances.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    ya gay was real impressive in the playoffs... PJ3 hasn't even played single minute in the league and your already ripping him, real classy.
    I can't believe you're comparing the two.
    On one hand, you have a guy who is in the league and is a proven commodity. He helped lead his team to the playoffs - the NBA playoffs. The other hand, you have a guy who put in 2 underwhelming seasons at the college level. Most people would take the proven commodity, hands down. It has nothing to do with "ripping" on someone, it's just straight facts, homie.

You have a chance to acquire proven talent and you'd turn it down? A possible acquistion of Rudy Gay would make him the best player on this team.

Post Thanks / Like

the fact is even when you're sticking up for him. you put "he hasn't played a single minute in the nba." which is exactly to the point of what mango is saying.

Also, I don't understand, props, why you are judging gay on his playoff performance?! As I understand it the raptors are trying to get into the playoffs and gay has helped his team in multiple seasons make it to the playoffs.

we're trying to make it in, we aren't already in, trying to add a piece.
    Last edited by LBF; Wed May 23rd, 2012 at 03:23 PM.
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote MangoKid wrote: View Post
    I can't believe you're comparing the two.
    On one hand, you have a guy who is in the league and is a proven commodity. He helped lead his team to the playoffs - the NBA playoffs. The other hand, you have a guy who put in 2 underwhelming seasons at the college level. Most people would take the proven commodity, hands down. It has nothing to do with "ripping" on someone, it's just straight facts, homie.

You have a chance to acquire proven talent and you'd turn it down? A possible acquistion of Rudy Gay would make him the best player on this team.
    The only thing gay will make this team is mediocre. Do you really want that? do you really want to be stuck in the middle of the eastern conference for the next 5 years like the hawks?. There have been many players that haven't done that great in college(like Westbrook) but come into the league and play very well and become great players. You can never judge a guy based off just his college career, why don't you take a look at Adam Morrison, Marcus Fizer, and most recently Jimmer Fredette.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not as big a Gay fan as most on the board but if you think he wouldn't upgrade the team exponentially you're pretty delusional.

Raptors Republic Starter jimmie's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    The only thing gay will make this team is mediocre. Do you really want that? do you really want to be stuck in the middle of the eastern conference for the next 5 years like the hawks?. There have been many players that haven't done that great in college(like Westbrook) but come into the league and play very well and become great players. You can never judge a guy based off just his college career, why don't you take a look at Adam Morrison, Marcus Fizer, and most recently Jimmer Fredette.
    First of all, Rudy Gay makes this team MUCH better than it was this year. Second, if it's a 1:1 choice of Gay:Jones III, no GM in his right mind would choose Jones, for all the reasons already mentioned. He hasn't proven himself capable of leading/starring for a college team, let alone an NBA team. He hasn't played a game against NBA-calibre competition. He has well-noted 'intensity/grit' issues, noted even by his own college coach. This *may* all change when he gets to the NBA, but it's a crap shoot.

Gay is a known commodity, a guy who has proven his ability to dominate NBA games, and has been to the playoffs. He's experienced, but still young. He can shoot from the perimeter or get his own shot.

It's really not even debatable. Gay is the safer bet, the better player right now, and 95% likely still the better player 3-4 years from now.
    Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread Information