Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Trade the pick: ESPN late to the party (274)

Raptors Republic Starter albertan_10's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

wow guys. calm down - trade the pick? what many of you have talked about tanking for? the only way you could justify trading this pick is by getting multiple first round picks in the future. anything else and you are shooting yourself in the foot.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote WJF wrote: View Post
    I would not trade for Jennings or Eric Gordon using a pick in the 4-9 range. Gordon in his 4 season on NBA has played 78, 62, 56, and 2 games, that is 3 seasons in a row missing significant time, not good fat all. Jennings still has some upside, but how does he fit with a defensive coach and a team with bigs that need touches?
    You forget that Scott skiles is a defencive minded coach and for bigs not getting enough touches im sure Bogut got some but you cant blame him for being a ball hog just look at his team. And for eric gordon Im sure Alex Mckechnie could have a look at him since he is one off the best At what he does

Post Thanks / Like

You could just sign Gordon...

Raptors Republic Starter draftedraptor's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    You could just sign Gordon...
    Is he not restricted?

Post Thanks / Like

Sure

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Trading the pick is a ridiculous idea, this is a loaded draft and I think there are 7-8 players who can be real forces in the years to come. If the raps get 3-5 take MKG, 6-8 BRADLEY BEAL.
    I am starting to get really impatient with Derozan, so having Beal (a shooting guard with size who is a straight shooter and awesome rebounder) could solidify our hole at the 2 spot. That would allow derozan and jj (along with maybe a wing free agent) to share minutes with Beal.

Raptors Republic Starter Papa Burgundy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The only way I trade the pick is if the incoming package includes another lottery pick in this year's draft.

For example: If we fall in the 5-9 range and the players we covet (Davis, MKG, Beal, Barnes) are off the board, maybe we either trade up to get them with our early 2nd rounder or Ed Davis included, or trade down a few spots to the range of a few other interesting pieces in the later lottery range (Lillard, Marshall, Rivers) and pick-up another asset in the process.
    The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote draftedraptor wrote: View Post
    Is he not restricted?
    Yes - not only is Eric Gordon restricted, he is also the centrepiece of the deal that set Chris Paul out of town. I'd say New Orleans matches ... almost any amount.
    The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Eric Gordon has been mentioned in many threads this season. When healthy, he's a solid, solid player. But isn't anyone concerned about his injuries?

In his 4-year career, Gordon has played a total of 198 games. During that span, he's also missed 101 games (and counting).
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Eric Gordon has been mentioned in many threads this season. When healthy, he's a solid, solid player. But isn't anyone concerned about his injuries?

In his 4-year career, Gordon has played a total of 198 games. During that span, he's also missed 101 games (and counting).
    What it comes down to for me is, why get someone on payday when you may be able to draft Beal - or another SG with NBA ready game, and pay them much less for the next 4 years ... use your FA money elsewhere, or save some of it.

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Papa Burgundy wrote: View Post
    What it comes down to for me is, why get someone on payday when you may be able to draft Beal - or another SG with NBA ready game, and pay them much less for the next 4 years ... use your FA money elsewhere, or save some of it.
    Agreed. In this example, I'd much rather see us draft Beal than spend on Gordon.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

I tend to think that for the Raptors the draft starts to look less appealing after the top 6. I suppose it might stretch to 7 if a team really likes Sullinger (over Barnes). Beyond that, you are left with enigmas (like PJ3) and players that could probably end up anywhere from 7-14. So, I could see the Raptors trading down from #7, if they end up there. But remember, unless they finish with the #6 or lower seed in the final standings, there less than 10% chance that they will select at #7 or lower.

Raptors Republic Superstar TheGloveinRapsUniform's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Papa Burgundy wrote: View Post
    The only way I trade the pick is if the incoming package includes another lottery pick in this year's draft.

For example: If we fall in the 5-9 range and the players we covet (Davis, MKG, Beal, Barnes) are off the board, maybe we either trade up to get them with our early 2nd rounder or Ed Davis included, or trade down a few spots to the range of a few other interesting pieces in the later lottery range (Lillard, Marshall, Rivers) and pick-up another asset in the process.
    Yes, i forgot to mention this. It wont be straight up for a superstar, but including either a lower pick, or a young player.

Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I would only trade the pick if that pick wasn't Anthony Davis. Davis has (i would say) superstar potential, there's no way you give up something like that ever.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Raps can't get Davis, Beal, or MKG - trade the pick (and possibly ED) to Philly for Holiday and 76ers pick? Would you?

Raptors Republic All-Star stretch's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Raps can't get Davis, Beal, or MKG - trade the pick (and possibly ED) to Philly for Holiday and 76ers pick? Would you?
    I get your point, so it's a big yes, any GM would trade their pick in the right deal but I don't believe the 76ers would trade Holiday.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote stretch wrote: View Post
    I get your point, so it's a big yes, any GM would trade their pick in the right deal but I don't believe the 76ers would trade Holiday.
    I am inclined to agree, however, where there is smoke, there is fire.

Holiday has regressed this year.
    Evans, Holiday, and AI are all ball dominant players.
    76ers have need at PF/C spots.
    GM talks about PG playing SG.
    Coach talks about SG playing PG.

I wouldn't bet my life on this proposal but I do think it is plausible.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    At what point do you trade the pick?
    At no point. History shows that Colangelo's track record is very good when using the pick and really poor when trading the pick. If you respect trends then you don't support trading the pick.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    At no point. History shows that Colangelo's track record is very good when using the pick and really poor when trading the pick. If you respect trends then you don't support trading the pick.
    A little grain of salt for the history:

Many of those trades were made early in his career in Phoenix.
    Many more of those trades were made towards the end of his career in Phoenix due to cost cutting by owner.
    He has only traded 1 first round pick in Toronto and that was going for quick fixes with Bosh as a centre piece.

What do you think about my fixation for April 4th, 2012?
    Raps pick (cannot get AD, MKG, or BB) and ED for Jrue Holiday and 76ers pick - what would you say?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    A little grain of salt for the history:

Many of those trades were made early in his career in Phoenix.
    Many more of those trades were made towards the end of his career in Phoenix due to cost cutting by owner.
    He has only traded 1 first round pick in Toronto and that was going for quick fixes with Bosh as a centre piece.

What do you think about my fixation for April 4th, 2012?
    Raps pick (cannot get AD, MKG, or BB) and ED for Jrue Holiday and 76ers pick - what would you say?
    I would say, no, let's look at Barnes, Lamb and Rivers to name a few. The Raptors should be able to get a really promising PG prospect for Ed without sacraficing great draft position. This is a deep draft.

Thread Information