Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trade the pick: ESPN late to the party (274)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• e2thed wrote: View Post
    If we get picks 5,6 or 7, I'd say trade it to Portland for Nic Batum straight up.
    They are in rebuild mode.
    5-7 picks may be worth keeping (depending on who is available) if we can get only Batum for it. If someone like Brandon Jennings or Eric Gordon is on the table I would offer the pick and any player they want besides Jonas.

Comment

• draftedraptor wrote: View Post
      5-7 picks may be worth keeping (depending on who is available) if we can get only Batum for it. If someone like Brandon Jennings or Eric Gordon is on the table I would offer the pick and any player they want besides Jonas.
      Maybe trade pick 5-7 for Nic Batum and Nolan Smith.
      NBADoppelgangers.tumblr.com

Comment

• I think the raps have to at least see who is available when they're picking. legitly, when they are on the clock and if they don't like who is available trade the pick.
        If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

• Doug Smith, in offering a mock prediction of what Colangelo would say in the press conference yesterday prior to it, makes the suggestion to trade the pick (remember, the first bold line is Smith typing what Colangelo should say):

“I just want to let the rest of the league know that if we don’t get the No. 1 selection in the draft, we’re going to trade it so the phone lines are open.”

Look, they have – according to an awful lot of impartial observers – the second best player in the draft coming in Jonas Valanciunas.

The draft, once expected to be the greatest in years, now seems to be Anthony Davis and a bunch of other guys and, frankly, this team doesn’t need two kids to teach next year.

It needs men, some guys who have been in the league, know what it takes to win in the league and who can help right away.

If they didn’t have the big fella coming, this wouldn’t be the wisest course of action but they do. Pretend he’s this year’s draft pick and use the one you get May 30 as a bargaining chip to go out and try to get some immediate help.

No, I don’t know who that is and if you have to add Amir Johnson or James Johnson or Linas Kleiza to the deal to make it attractive, go right ahead.

You can be too young in the NBA, it takes kids a while to learn how to play in the league and then how to win in it; dealing the pick if it’s not No. 1 is prudent roster-building.
          http://thestar.blogs.com/raptors/201...ome-ideas.html

Comment

• Trade the pick for Lowry?
            @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• It seems to me they'll trade the pick for a starting sf.
              If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

• LBF wrote: View Post
                It seems to me they'll trade the pick for a starting sf.
                For who?

Going through the teams, I can see very few starting SF's that would be either worth the pick or available.

A swap of Raps pick for NOH lower pick and Ariza? Maybe Ariza is a burden and the Raps taking him on would be a favour. Maybe the Raps get a higher pick by taking him on i.e. 8 for Ariza and 5? Unlikely but just throwing it out there.

Wilson Chandler?

A blockbuster deal involving Gay?

Iguodala?

Granger?

Comment

• What If we win the Lottery

I know this sounds way out there, but if Raptors got uber lucky and snagged #1 overall, I would be curious to know what that pick would be worth - or bring back?

Just wondering - so don't crucify me for thinking so.

Comment

• Completely disagree with Doug Smith. What the Raptors need is a franchise player, period. Keeping the pick provides a long-shot at one and worst case would be the kind of talented young player coveted by a team forced to trade away a franchise player.

I absolutely loathe this idea of trying to be relevant next year by adding the kind of solid-but-unspectacular players that the pick and/or their cap space in this year's barren market would bring. I know BC's job is on the line and that he'll likely turn this into the Bucks/Hawks/Rockets/etc next year, but I wish to god he'd be patient, shore up the wings with cheap veterans again and let things play out until they're in a position to pounce on a better opportunity.

Comment

• Lark Benson wrote: View Post
                      Completely disagree with Doug Smith. What the Raptors need is a franchise player, period. Keeping the pick provides a long-shot at one and worst case would be the kind of talented young player coveted by a team forced to trade away a franchise player.

I absolutely loathe this idea of trying to be relevant next year by adding the kind of solid-but-unspectacular players that the pick and/or their cap space in this year's barren market would bring. I know BC's job is on the line and that he'll likely turn this into the Bucks/Hawks/Rockets/etc next year, but I wish to god he'd be patient, shore up the wings with cheap veterans again and let things play out until they're in a position to pounce on a better opportunity.
                      I think it completely depends on who you get back in a trade. I agree with your assessment that we need to get out of the mediocrity tread-mill especially since free agents do not want to come here. However if that pick can be traded for a guy like Kyle Lowry or Jru Holiday (not saying that this is even doable), would you say no?

Those trades could be gambles because the player drafted could end up better - but if you trade the pick for someone still young who has already had some development time in the league I think its a good trade.

Now if you traded for the next Jermaine O'neal type of player then yeah it would be a bad move.. however we aren't trying to build around a specific player this time around so the chances of that happening IMO are slim.

Comment

• Lark Benson wrote: View Post
                        , but I wish to god he'd be patient, shore up the wings with cheap veterans again and let things play out until they're in a position to pounce on a better opportunity.
                        I did a play called Waiting For Godot a few years back....he never showed up
                        For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• We could draft guys like Henson, PJ3 and hope they turn out to be any good if we had good starters. The only current raptor who would start in a good team is calderon.

If we dont land a lottery pick we must trade down. We can get a good starter by trading down. We can always hope for a kenneth faried from the late first rounder but that is a bonus. If someone like Jennings, Eric Gordon is available I don't see why we need to draft 6-10 and hope they turn out to be any good.

Comment

• RapthoseLeafs wrote: View Post
                            I know this sounds way out there, but if Raptors got uber lucky and snagged #1 overall, I would be curious to know what that pick would be worth - or bring back?

Just wondering - so don't crucify me for thinking so.

I don't think you trade a top 3 pick in this draft..... just my opinion. But that is because I think Davis and Beal are the two surest things in the draft.

But to answer your question, as to what they would return depends on the teams in the trade. Remember, under the terms of the CBA draft picks have no value. To get anything near equal compensation a team would have to be well below the cap or have some serious TPE space.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                              I think it completely depends on who you get back in a trade. I agree with your assessment that we need to get out of the mediocrity tread-mill especially since free agents do not want to come here. However if that pick can be traded for a guy like Kyle Lowry or Jru Holiday (not saying that this is even doable), would you say no?
                              I would say no to either of those guys. As an asset, whoever the Raps pick at 8 (unless they lose their minds and go for Marshall/Lillard) will have more value in a trade for a franchise player than Lowry or Holiday's short contracts. Especially when the Raps have Jose's expiring contract to use if they make the move at next year's deadline.

Neither of those guys would make a huge difference for the Raps long-term if they were kept either, unless they remained on the team after a franchise player was acquired. That would mean the Raps would be dangling some combination of Bargs, DeRozan, and Ed Davis plus future picks to make the trade, and it's hard to imagine that working out. Plus, you'd have to pay them or lose them in two years.

I like them both very much as players, but I like the pick a lot more as an asset.

Comment

• If we stay at 8, I would try to swing a trade down and gamble on elite athletes... PJ3 and Tony Wroten Jr. Give up Amir if you have to. I want to see what Casey would do with these two.

Comment

Working...
                                X