Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Is JV a potential franchise player?

Raptors Republic Superstar TheGloveinRapsUniform's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Is JV a potential franchise player?

With all the accolades JV has gotten in Europe, and the hype that surrounds his NBA debut, do you think JV has the potential to be the Raps franchise player?

Do you think with JV as a cornerstone, the Raps can be a contender?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes. I think JV and A.Davis have similar strengths and ability to impact the game on the defensive end. I personally prefer to have that defensive anchor at the C position as opposed to PF, so that's a small advantage in JV's favor. I look forward to being able to compare these two players against common opponents next season.

Post Thanks / Like

BC is refusing to draft Anthony Davis if he gets the chance

Post Thanks / Like

the reason is he is too hard to market....his face on all the posters will frighten the children and attract hillbillies from the outskirts to come and see games. The last thing you want is people from Aylmer driving in for games

Post Thanks / Like

Quote thead wrote: View Post
    BC is refusing to draft Anthony Davis if he gets the chance
    Where did you hear/read that? Source??? Or just your speculation?

Nevermind, I should have kept reading before replying. lol

You mean you can't envision Devlin's next go-to phrase catching on... "POW goes the unibrow! Another thunderous dunk from Davis!"???

Post Thanks / Like

They could give everyone fake unibrows before games

Raptors Republic Rookie Jon_Wade's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

all the kids with unibrows would finally have a hero and somebody to make them realize people will hate on it but it doesn't even matter because it wont change them!
    Whoever told you skies the limit is looking dumb because I'm 22 and i'm moonwalking on the sun.

Post Thanks / Like

To me "Franchise Players" are Kobe, Lebron, Durant, Dwight, and had been Duncan. Can Jonas be an allstar sure, will he be a player described as being one of the best ever, I am not so sure on that. I am hoping for a Andrew Bogut/Brad Daugherty type player. Not really a franchise player, but one hell of a piece moving forward.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote WJF wrote: View Post
    To me "Franchise Players" are Kobe, Lebron, Durant, Dwight, and had been Duncan. Can Jonas be an allstar sure, will he be a player described as being one of the best ever, I am not so sure on that. I am hoping for a Andrew Bogut/Brad Daugherty type player. Not really a franchise player, but one hell of a piece moving forward.
    My "Yes" answer had less to do with the thread's title and more to do with the last line of tbihis' original message:

Quote tbihis wrote: View Post

Post Thanks / Like

JV is tossed under the bus by multiple posters in here by the end of December 2012. Book it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    JV is tossed under the bus by multiple posters in here by the end of December 2012. Book it.
    Only because Ed Davis and Aaron Gray are trapped under it and the only Raptor with super human strength to lift it off is Jonas

Post Thanks / Like

We're all going to be horribly disappointed when big Val doesn't average a quadruple double as a rookie

Post Thanks / Like

Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    We're all going to be horribly disappointed when big Val doesn't average a quadruple double as a rookie
    Why you trying to hold him back, quintuple double, quintuple double...

Post Thanks / Like

With all the accolades JV has gotten in Europe, and the hype that surrounds his NBA debut, do you think JV has the potential to be the Raps franchise player?

So, the last 3 NBA franchise centers have been Shaq, Yao, and Howard. Personally, I would also count Duncan but everyone calls him a PF, so he's out. I haven't seen enough of JV to say but the three guys above are/were so good that they distort the game. Your entire defense and offense needs to be adjusted to account for them. Not sure Valanciunas is that good.

A cornerstone? Sure, if you pair him up with a dynamic wing and surround them with shooters you've got the makings of a decent team.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

No; I think he will be a minor star at best.

Yes, minor stars are pretty darn good players. I believe if you have three such players in addition to complementary rotation players, you have a chance.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Jon_Wade wrote: View Post
    all the kids with unibrows would finally have a hero and somebody to make them realize people will hate on it but it doesn't even matter because it wont change them!
    hahaha its the easiest cheapest problem in the world to fix....wax...shave...electrolysis if you really want to spend some money

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

I've had the chance to spend some time in Europe in the past few years and have gotten a chance to watch JV probably a lot more than people around here. I am convinced that this kid is the real deal. People sometimes forget the quality of players that are in Europe- Milos Teodosic, Andrei Kirilinko, Dimitris Diamanditis, Nikola Mirotic etc.. and for JV to put up the numbers he has been averaging and the accolades he has been winning among this competition (At the age of 19 is incredible!).

People are nervous with international big men I get it (Milicic, Aroujo) but neither have these guys numbers prior to the NBA come close to what JV is doing right now! With that said, YES Valenciunas is a real cornerstone for the Raptors moving forward. In 2-3 years, BC will look like a genious because JV will turn out to be the best player in last years draft. Valenciunas will hold the Interior, while Andrea will have more freedom to operate on the perimeter. This to me sounds like one of the best big man combinations in the NBA for the next decade or so.

As a side note, the Raptors front office should really keep an eye on Nikola Mirotic (only 21 years old) and what Chicago is doing with him. This guy is going to be the next big thing out of Europe (Nowtiski caliber). In a year or two this guy is going to be a stud at the 3 spot and I would urge BC to take a closer look and see if he could bring him over from Europe.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    +1

No doubt.

The hype machine is churning and the expectations are growing. I feel sorry for the kid as the weight of the franchise is about to be heaped on him instead of excercisig some patience to see what they have first.

Raptors Republic Starter Papa Burgundy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

He will be an impact player ... A reason to stop whining about needing a starting C ... he'll rebound and play defence right out of the gate ... his offense will come along slower, over a few years.

If he stays healthy and hungry (which doesn't seem to be a problem), he will be in all-star discussions in 3-5 years ... and will be a valuable piece on a contender, if the lottery balls this year are lucky, and/or free agent/trade decisions over the coming 2-3 years are smart.
    The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Post Thanks / Like

Offensively he already shoots 80 - 85% from the free throw line and has a solid 10ft jumper. He has quite a few post moves as well as just being relentless on the offensive glass.

Thread Information