Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Results 61 to 76 of 76

Thread: Is JV a potential franchise player?

  1. #61
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    11,994
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    It's a subconscious game everyone plays these days. "When a young player is selected, what past or present superstar does he remind you of?" It's a silly game....but it is what it is.
    We've gone way past that when we're talking perennial all-star and future hall of famer before he's even been bought out in Europe. At the end of the day that stuff wouldn't bother me if I didn't know from past experiences that this place is going to light up with "Trade JV" themed threads by Christmas 2012.

    I should prepare some generic responses now like "he's only a rookie" and "most big men need two to three seasons to become effective, you're overreacting".

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    No arguments from me on the matter. I just have been searching for any excuse to throw in a link to the Pointer Sisters for nearly 2 years now
    LOL, no doubt you had to make a decision in a small window of opportunity.

  2. #62
    Raptors Republic All-Star Soft Euro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Utrecht, The Netherlands (Yes, that's Europe!)
    Posts
    1,920
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Maybe we Should start a poll about which point of criticism will be most heard in december. Possibilities are: 1 foultrouble ("Even Amir played smarter"), 2 turnovers ("Geez, every single time he puts it on the floor he loses it! God, what an idiot!"), 3..., 4...,

  3. #63
    Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    5,957
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    MLSE isn't doing him any favours by filming a 2 part documentary. I don't remember such attention being given to any of our previous picks.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

  4. #64
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    11,994
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I can't remember another Raptors lottery pick not playing in the year he was drafted.

  5. #65
    Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    5,957
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    I can't remember another Raptors lottery pick not playing in the year he was drafted.
    But why should that warrant extra hype?
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

  6. #66
    Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,623
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    But why should that warrant extra hype?
    Keep the fans happy while they wait.

  7. #67
    Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    5,957
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Which adds to the heightened expectations, and the eventual criticism the moment he struggles.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

  8. #68
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    11,994
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    That's your choice. The video isn't going to tell you he can walk on water, that's your choice to believe such a thing. Unfortunately for him, he's the guy that's going to suffer the wrath when he's in over his head. It will be unwarranted, just like 99% of the other cases.

  9. #69
    Raptors Republic All-Star grindhouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,322
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    the problem with this city is we are almost begging for a savior to come along. JV has to prove day in and day out that he is here to play ball and I will not be crowning anyone after 1 or 2 seasons cause I dont care how good a individual player is I want to see playoffs and championships.

  10. #70
    Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,189
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    On the plus side the team will be much improved next year due to a full summer training camp, Vegas games, more experience for current players under Casey's system, DeMar/Ed/James Johnson, a year older/stronger/more experienced, free agency and there will be another young and talented prospect for JV to play along side. The focus of Raptor nation won't be squarely on JV, but also on whomever we draft (including 2nd rounders), and the free agent(s).

    It's actually a good time to be joining the Raptors.

    Gosh Damn! Just writing out all the positives heading into next seasons got me all juiced!

  11. #71
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,257
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Mediumcore wrote: View Post
    On the plus side the team will be much improved next year due to a full summer training camp, Vegas games, more experience for current players under Casey's system, DeMar/Ed/James Johnson, a year older/stronger/more experienced, free agency and there will be another young and talented prospect for JV to play along side. The focus of Raptor nation won't be squarely on JV, but also on whomever we draft (including 2nd rounders), and the free agent(s).

    It's actually a good time to be joining the Raptors.

    Gosh Damn! Just writing out all the positives heading into next seasons got me all juiced!
    That is a really good point that has been neglected in this thread. There will also be another high draft pick. The "1st round draft pick" spotlight will be shared.

    Also, there will be a lot of excitement over any meaningful trade and the player(s) it returns. There will also be free agency.


    Trades and free agency usually do not get the critical attention that 1st round lottery picks get but at least there will be 2 lottery picks to share the attention.

  12. #72
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    11,994
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Mediumcore wrote: View Post
    On the plus side the team will be much improved next year due to a full summer training camp, Vegas games, more experience for current players under Casey's system, DeMar/Ed/James Johnson, a year older/stronger/more experienced, free agency and there will be another young and talented prospect for JV to play along side. The focus of Raptor nation won't be squarely on JV, but also on whomever we draft (including 2nd rounders), and the free agent(s).

    It's actually a good time to be joining the Raptors.

    Gosh Damn! Just writing out all the positives heading into next seasons got me all juiced!
    Yeah, the other rookie will have pressure as well but that's not going to lower expectations for JV. There is lots of wrath to go around, don't worry about that.

  13. #73
    Raptors Republic Starter Prime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Richmond Hill
    Posts
    590
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote thead wrote: View Post
    the reason is he is too hard to market....his face on all the posters will frighten the children and attract hillbillies from the outskirts to come and see games. The last thing you want is people from Aylmer driving in for games
    Umm we had an ostrich/velociraptor as the face of the franchise here for 6 seasons. I don't think marketing will be much of an issue here.

  14. #74
    Raptors Republic Starter omgsomuchpotential's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Lithuania
    Posts
    372
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    So if Raps happen to draft #1, that might take all the pressure from JV and place it on AD's shoulders. However, I don't think that either of those two are weak mentally. I can sense an urge to be the best and a winner mentality in both of them.

  15. #75
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    11,994
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Prime wrote: View Post
    Umm we had an ostrich/velociraptor as the face of the franchise here for 6 seasons. I don't think marketing will be much of an issue here.
    Naw, he looks like a brontosaurus.


  16. #76
    Raptors Republic All-Star Miekenstien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,863
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    That's your choice. The video isn't going to tell you he can walk on water, that's your choice to believe such a thing. Unfortunately for him, he's the guy that's going to suffer the wrath when he's in over his head. It will be unwarranted, just like 99% of the other cases.
    +1

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •