Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: April 4 - Philadelphia 76ers

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default April 4 - Philadelphia 76ers

ESPN Preview:

A rough stretch has dropped the Philadelphia 76ers out of the Atlantic Division lead, and they're falling further back in the race.

The 76ers are hoping Andre Iguodala is back on the court Wednesday night as they try to begin solving their inconsistent play and beat the Toronto Raptors for the fourth time in a row.

Philadelphia (29-24) has lost seven of 11 since a three-game winning streak, which started with a blowout win over Boston on March 7. The recent struggles have caused the Sixers to fall to seventh place in the Eastern Conference after relinquishing the Atlantic lead to the Celtics, whom they now trail by 1 1/2 games.

They visit Boston for the conclusion of the season series Sunday.

Before then, Philadelphia will try to get untracked while hosting Toronto (19-35), then Orlando on Saturday.

The 76ers lost ground to the Celtics on Tuesday, falling 99-93 at Miami while surrendering 41 points to LeBron James. They also lost Iguodala in the third quarter when Mario Chalmers' swipe for the ball connected with the swingman's face.

"I thought my eye was gone," Iguodala said. "It was hurting really bad. I had a really bad headache for about 10 minutes."

It's unclear if the injury will keep Iguodala out Wednesday. He's averaged 19.1 points, 6.0 assists and 6.2 rebounds in his last 11 home games against the Raptors.

Evan Turner has been providing some unexpected scoring punch for the Sixers, averaging 15.5 points while hitting 55.8 percent of his field goals over the last four games. He had 26 points Tuesday to match his career high, and his recent production is an improvement from his season average of 9.3 points on 44.3 percent shooting.

Louis Williams is looking to build on his 18-point performance against the Heat. The guard leads Philadelphia with 15.4 points per game -- ranking him second in the NBA in bench scoring -- but has shot just 38.1 percent in his last 11 games, missing 11 of 17 shots Tuesday.

Williams has converted 29.3 percent from the field in his last four against Toronto, although the Sixers didn't need much scoring to defeat the visiting Raptors 97-62 in the most recent meeting Jan. 7.

Philadelphia has won three in a row over the Raptors after losing six of the previous seven.

Toronto, however, enters this meeting having won three of four. It has taken advantage of a pair of home matchups with lowly opponents, following Sunday's 99-92 win over Washington with a 92-87 victory Tuesday against league-worst Charlotte.

Andrea Bargnani has been a big part of that success, averaging 25.3 points in the last four games. He had 30 against the Bobcats for his highest total in 15 games since missing 20 with a strained left calf.

"I feel better," he said. "Every day I get better. I just have to keep working and keep playing hard."

Bargnani is averaging 23.6 points in his last five visits to Philadelphia, getting 21 while grabbing 11 rebounds there in January.

DeMar DeRozan wasn't nearly as effective in that matchup, making 4 of 13 shots from the floor to finish with eight points after totaling 56 in the previous two meetings with the Sixers.

The swingman is averaging 20.0 points in four games overall since sitting out two with an ankle injury.
    The game is important for Philadelphia given the hard times they have fallen upon.

What I am going to be watching is Jrue Holiday. Watching the Miami-Philly game during Raptor commercials last night, the commentators were talking about how many Philly fans are looking to trade Holiday and let Turner start at PG. Collins has talked about his love for Holiday but he has also said Turner is a PG. Rod Thorn has talked about Holiday playing some SG.

All this makes me wonder if the 76ers might be in a similar situation as Toronto whereby they deleverage from their perceived strengths to satisfy a weakness. Philly has AI, Turner, and Williams all capable of play making and all need the ball in their hands to be at their most effective.

I doubt Philadelphia trades Holiday given he is just 21. However, if he was available I hope BC makes his best offer as I think he has much more to offer than what he has shown this season.

Post Thanks / Like

Philly better put in work tonight...

Post Thanks / Like

Wait, they're saying Turner is a PG? Huh?

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

That Turner-Holiday rumination is very surprising. Wonder what Holiday is worth to Philly?

And isnt that quote from AB as vanilla and cliche-ish as they come? LOL. He has learned well.

Time to imbalance our W-L stats. These unnecessary wins against the dregs are, well, affecting the growth of the team

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

turner is playing nice. Derozan's ceiling right there.....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    Wait, they're saying Turner is a PG? Huh?
    Yup.

Turner is a PG.

Holiday can play 2-guard.

Trade one of Holiday, Turner, or Igoudala.

Here is an idea: Raps pick outside of Davis/Beal/MKG territory - trade pick for Holiday and 76ers pick (Philly can get the big man they are sorely lacking as Hawes is UFA and Brand is OLD). Then trade 76ers pick, ED, Jose, and 2 second rounders to get Matthews and lowest Portland pick to get Ross or Lamb. Or keep the pick and draft Harkless.

I am not sure if any of that is possible but it certainly would make me think long and hard.... actually, not that long or hard - I'd do it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Bendit wrote: View Post
    That Turner-Holiday rumination is very surprising. Wonder what Holiday is worth to Philly?

And isnt that quote from AB as vanilla and cliche-ish as they come? LOL. He has learned well.

Time to imbalance our W-L stats. These unnecessary wins against the dregs are, well, affecting the growth of the team
    Assuming the Raptors are not drafting top 5, how about Raps pick and ED for Holiday and 76ers pick?

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote akashsingh wrote: View Post
    turner is playing nice. Derozan's ceiling right there.....
    are you kidding me? thats more like his basement. Check out Turners stats and compare them. Also they are almost the same age so how is that his ceiling? and i seriously doubt turner has even reached his ceiling, they are two different styles of players. And derozan is a much worse rebounder

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Yup.

Turner is a PG.

Holiday can play 2-guard.

Trade one of Holiday, Turner, or Igoudala.

Here is an idea: Raps pick outside of Davis/Beal/MKG territory - trade pick for Holiday and 76ers pick (Philly can get the big man they are sorely lacking as Hawes is UFA and Brand is OLD). Then trade 76ers pick, ED, Jose, and 2 second rounders to get Matthews and lowest Portland pick to get Ross or Lamb. Or keep the pick and draft Harkless.

I am not sure if any of that is possible but it certainly would make me think long and hard.... actually, not that long or hard - I'd do it.
    Makes sence since you cant get the player you want in the draft trade the pick to someone that can give you some good assets moving forward.
    Last edited by bounty; Wed Apr 4th, 2012 at 06:00 PM.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Assuming the Raptors are not drafting top 5, how about Raps pick and ED for Holiday and 76ers pick?
    If not in the top 5 than yes.
    If we can get Beal or MKG then no.

Post Thanks / Like

Why not just keep bayless? he averages better numbers in the same amount of time

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Hello wrote: View Post

Yep if you cant get either off those too players then the best thing would be to try and make a trade the pick.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    Why not just keep bayless? he averages better numbers in the same amount of time
    There is more to the game of basketball than numbers.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Hello wrote: View Post
    My assumption is a top 5 pick would get you one of those 2 players.

Raptors Republic Starter pesterm1's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Jerryd Bayless + our pick for Holiday and Phillys pick.

Bayless is a better fit on their team

Post Thanks / Like

Quote pesterm1 wrote: View Post
    Jerryd Bayless + our pick for Holiday and Phillys pick.

Bayless is a better fit on their team
    That is interesting. It would hinge on Bayless signing in PHI as he is a RFA.

Post Thanks / Like

There is more to the game of basketball than numbers.
    yes i know like "court vision" which apparently bayless doesn't seem to have but still miraculously averages 8 assists when he starts, oh sorry there i go with the numbers again.

Post Thanks / Like

Oy vey

Post Thanks / Like

This is his pre-draft interview from 2009. Interesting stuff in there.

DX: How much of a role did Ben Howland play in you being here in the green room?

JH: You know he definitely supported me through everything. He called me after every workout to see how I was doing and how I did and he would talk to the people that he knows. So he definitely helped me out a lot just to be here.

DX: In terms of on the court stuff at UCLA?

JH: Definitely defense, thatís what people were so surprised with because I guess Iím so young. He really taught me to play defense and how to play the NBA game really well.

Reporter: What are your strengths?

Holiday: Strengths are definitely passing and court vision. I can score but I think seeing somebody else receive that makes me happier thatís what I get pleasure in doing. And um defintiely defense. Coach Howland he hounds us about and he goes crazy about it.

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com#ixzz1r70B9lBK
    http://www.draftexpress.com
    Reporter: Whatís the bond like between the L.A. guys?

Holiday: Well, DeMar went to USC and I went to UCLA and thatís kind of a rivalry, but also a bond in itself because Iíve known him since the 6th grade. Iíve also known Brandon (Jennings) since the 6th grade and Iíve known Austin Daye since I was little because our grandparents are best friends. And my mom and his dad went to the same high school (Kennedy High in Granada Hills, CA). James Harden and I have been playing against each other since high school so we do have a bond. Weíre definitely trying to rep California and the West Coast and we want to see everybody on the West Coast succeed.

Reporter: Any friendly wagers between you guys?

Holiday: No. Who would get picked first? Probably Brandon, DeMar, James and then me. I think I should be number one, but honestly, it really doesnít matter I think it just matters where you fit in to what team.

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com#ixzz1r71Jm1eF
    Reporter: So would you rather be picked high or rather be picked by a team that fits you better.

Holiday: Yeah Iíd rather be picked by the team that fits me better.

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com#ixzz1r71SSvFg

That last quote really interests me because I think with the emergence (or just emerging depending on perspective and opinion) of Turner, the fit might have changed in Philly.

Write up from DE.com on Summer LEague 2010 (grain of salt needed with stats and play from Summer League, obviously, but comments are intriguing).

August 10, 2010
    Jrue Holiday only played three games for the 76ers' Summer League team in Orlando, but was clearly the most dynamic overall player in attendance. Holiday struggled to stand out at this event last season with deferential play, and saw erratic playing time early in his rookie season before showing extremely well as he cemented his spot in Eddie Jordan's rotation down the stretch. Holiday's development as a point guard, improved consistency as a jump shooter, and comfort level with the speed of the NBA game were obvious late in the year, and manifested themselves in a pair of extremely productive Summer League performances.

It became obvious early in the week that Holiday was going to be given the keys to Philadelphia's offense despite the presence of second overall selection Evan Turner, and the UCLA product took full advantage. Whether he was turning the corner on the pick and roll or breaking his man down in one-on-one situations, Holiday played with outstanding confidence and used his body exceptionally well in traffic. He was the top assist-man in Orlando and finished as the top scorer as well. The North Hollywood native did a great job of determining when to attack and when to defer, and aside from a down game in an easy win over Boston, provided little evidence contrary to sentiments that he should be the 76ers' starting floor general on opening day, and a huge piece of their rebuilding effort moving forward.

Over the course of his summer campaign, Holiday reinforced many of the things that he showed last season that have the Philadelphia front office optimistic about his future. Despite not knocking down shots from beyond the arc at a high rate during his only season under Ben Howland, Holiday proved to be a high-caliber catch and shoot threat last season, and he continued to knock down shots from the perimeter in Orlando. He appeared prone to jumping slightly off balance on each of his contested pull ups from the midrange, and still has quite a bit of polish to add to that part of his game, but he was highly effective when he could get all the way to the rim and use his creativity to finish. He was also able to the line at an astounding rate, exploiting the quick whistles typical of the Summer League by drawing contact frequently in the paint.

Defensively, Holiday had some moments of brilliance denying penetration and fighting through screens, and showed a degree of intensity that you almost never see from a legitimate NBA player in the Summer League. Though he's prone to over-committing to helping his teammates at times, Holiday is the type of smart, savvy defender that coaches love.

While Holiday is not likely to dominate the ball next season to the extent that he did in Orlando, but one can't discount his intensity and the change in his demeanor since this time last season. He's regained much of the swagger that made him such a highly coveted prospect going into college, and has learned to use his outstanding physical advantages and terrific basketball IQ to his advantage on a daily basis now. He'll enter next season as one of the youngest players in the NBA still, and has painstakingly improved his skill set and turned himself into a very complete basketball player.

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com#ixzz1r72Atf2o

I don't think Holiday is playing up to his potential given the number of guys handling the rock to create on offense. Given his shooting, defense, size, play making ability, age, and history with DeMar (if DeMar is considered part of the mix moving forward), sign me up for Holiday - even over Nash *gasp!*. Oh yeah, and assuming Philly would even trade him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    yes i know like "court vision" which apparently bayless doesn't seem to have but still miraculously averages 8 assists when he starts, oh sorry there i go with the numbers again.
    You are excused.

If you wish to pursue this conversation further, head to Everything Bayless and read the thread. This has been beaten to death there numerous times.

Thread Information