April 4 - Philadelphia 76ers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pesterm1 wrote: View Post
    Jerryd Bayless + our pick for Holiday and Phillys pick.

Bayless is a better fit on their team
    That is interesting. It would hinge on Bayless signing in PHI as he is a RFA.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
      There is more to the game of basketball than numbers.
      yes i know like "court vision" which apparently bayless doesn't seem to have but still miraculously averages 8 assists when he starts, oh sorry there i go with the numbers again.

Comment

Oy vey
        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

This is his pre-draft interview from 2009. Interesting stuff in there.

DX: How much of a role did Ben Howland play in you being here in the green room?

JH: You know he definitely supported me through everything. He called me after every workout to see how I was doing and how I did and he would talk to the people that he knows. So he definitely helped me out a lot just to be here.

DX: In terms of on the court stuff at UCLA?

JH: Definitely defense, that’s what people were so surprised with because I guess I’m so young. He really taught me to play defense and how to play the NBA game really well.

Reporter: What are your strengths?

Holiday: Strengths are definitely passing and court vision. I can score but I think seeing somebody else receive that makes me happier that’s what I get pleasure in doing. And um defintiely defense. Coach Howland he hounds us about and he goes crazy about it.

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com#ixzz1r70B9lBK
          http://www.draftexpress.com
          Reporter: What’s the bond like between the L.A. guys?

Holiday: Well, DeMar went to USC and I went to UCLA and that’s kind of a rivalry, but also a bond in itself because I’ve known him since the 6th grade. I’ve also known Brandon (Jennings) since the 6th grade and I’ve known Austin Daye since I was little because our grandparents are best friends. And my mom and his dad went to the same high school (Kennedy High in Granada Hills, CA). James Harden and I have been playing against each other since high school so we do have a bond. We’re definitely trying to rep California and the West Coast and we want to see everybody on the West Coast succeed.

Reporter: Any friendly wagers between you guys?

Holiday: No. Who would get picked first? Probably Brandon, DeMar, James and then me. I think I should be number one, but honestly, it really doesn’t matter I think it just matters where you fit in to what team.

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com#ixzz1r71Jm1eF
          Reporter: So would you rather be picked high or rather be picked by a team that fits you better.

Holiday: Yeah I’d rather be picked by the team that fits me better.

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com#ixzz1r71SSvFg

That last quote really interests me because I think with the emergence (or just emerging depending on perspective and opinion) of Turner, the fit might have changed in Philly.

Write up from DE.com on Summer LEague 2010 (grain of salt needed with stats and play from Summer League, obviously, but comments are intriguing).

August 10, 2010
          Jrue Holiday only played three games for the 76ers' Summer League team in Orlando, but was clearly the most dynamic overall player in attendance. Holiday struggled to stand out at this event last season with deferential play, and saw erratic playing time early in his rookie season before showing extremely well as he cemented his spot in Eddie Jordan's rotation down the stretch. Holiday's development as a point guard, improved consistency as a jump shooter, and comfort level with the speed of the NBA game were obvious late in the year, and manifested themselves in a pair of extremely productive Summer League performances.

It became obvious early in the week that Holiday was going to be given the keys to Philadelphia's offense despite the presence of second overall selection Evan Turner, and the UCLA product took full advantage. Whether he was turning the corner on the pick and roll or breaking his man down in one-on-one situations, Holiday played with outstanding confidence and used his body exceptionally well in traffic. He was the top assist-man in Orlando and finished as the top scorer as well. The North Hollywood native did a great job of determining when to attack and when to defer, and aside from a down game in an easy win over Boston, provided little evidence contrary to sentiments that he should be the 76ers' starting floor general on opening day, and a huge piece of their rebuilding effort moving forward.

Over the course of his summer campaign, Holiday reinforced many of the things that he showed last season that have the Philadelphia front office optimistic about his future. Despite not knocking down shots from beyond the arc at a high rate during his only season under Ben Howland, Holiday proved to be a high-caliber catch and shoot threat last season, and he continued to knock down shots from the perimeter in Orlando. He appeared prone to jumping slightly off balance on each of his contested pull ups from the midrange, and still has quite a bit of polish to add to that part of his game, but he was highly effective when he could get all the way to the rim and use his creativity to finish. He was also able to the line at an astounding rate, exploiting the quick whistles typical of the Summer League by drawing contact frequently in the paint.

Defensively, Holiday had some moments of brilliance denying penetration and fighting through screens, and showed a degree of intensity that you almost never see from a legitimate NBA player in the Summer League. Though he's prone to over-committing to helping his teammates at times, Holiday is the type of smart, savvy defender that coaches love.

While Holiday is not likely to dominate the ball next season to the extent that he did in Orlando, but one can't discount his intensity and the change in his demeanor since this time last season. He's regained much of the swagger that made him such a highly coveted prospect going into college, and has learned to use his outstanding physical advantages and terrific basketball IQ to his advantage on a daily basis now. He'll enter next season as one of the youngest players in the NBA still, and has painstakingly improved his skill set and turned himself into a very complete basketball player.

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com#ixzz1r72Atf2o

I don't think Holiday is playing up to his potential given the number of guys handling the rock to create on offense. Given his shooting, defense, size, play making ability, age, and history with DeMar (if DeMar is considered part of the mix moving forward), sign me up for Holiday - even over Nash *gasp!*. Oh yeah, and assuming Philly would even trade him.

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
            yes i know like "court vision" which apparently bayless doesn't seem to have but still miraculously averages 8 assists when he starts, oh sorry there i go with the numbers again.
            You are excused.

If you wish to pursue this conversation further, head to Everything Bayless and read the thread. This has been beaten to death there numerous times.

Comment

By the way, I should mention I have not really seen much of Holiday play - except when he plays the Raptors. I am very much looking forward to this game.

Comment

It was also mentioned by BC that near the draft a young talented player was available. But a move coulndt be made our it would effect our pick position. We also do have the Phillys old GM Stefanski (who draft Holiday). You can never know what kind of information he has.

Comment

oof ive said it before but Jrue is the one pg i'd throw serious cash at when he become a RFA, i'd trade for him in a heartbeat.

turner a pg is still blowing my mind
                  @sweatpantsjer

Comment

By the way, I should mention I have not really seen much of Holiday play - except when he plays the Raptors. I am very much looking forward to this game.
                    Ed stafansky + DeMar DeRozan= Holiday in a raptors uniform

Comment

pesterm1 wrote: View Post
                      It was also mentioned by BC that near the draft a young talented player was available. But a move coulndt be made our it would effect our pick position. We also do have the Phillys old GM Stefanski (who draft Holiday). You can never know what kind of information he has.
                      *Picture me with a gas can throwing it in to the flames*

Also, Lou Williams was reportedly being pursued by the Raptors last year. How many times have you heard about a team going after player X only to come away with player Y?

Comment

Assuming the Raptors are not drafting top 5, how about Raps pick and ED for Holiday and 76ers pick?
                        Hmmm sounds doable. They do need a big man and their pick s/b around 17-20. Stefanski as well should know him well. But one needs to be careful of that shark Thorn. Holiday is not having as good a year compared to previous...wonder if it's Collins coaching? or something else...maybe Turner's resurgence. But to be honest I would prefer to try for Dragic as a f/a and save the bullets (draft & for another trade).

Comment

Johnson not playing for "internal reasons". (from Doug smiths live blog). Any details?

Comment

akashsingh wrote: View Post
                            turner is playing nice. Derozan's ceiling right there.....

They have Iguodala on Demar. Give the kid some credit.

Comment

Calderon hits the court kinda like this guy:

Last edited by Absinthe; Wed Apr 4, 2012, 07:56 PM.

Comment

Jclaw wrote: View Post
                                Johnson not playing for "internal reasons". (from Doug smiths live blog). Any details?
                                This issue has come up before (a few weeks ago)...

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/...ons-struggles/

Comment

Working...
                                X