Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 46

Thread: If JV was in the 2012 draft....

  1. #21
    Raptors Republic Superstar Mack North's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Smoke City
    Posts
    2,678
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote ebrian wrote: View Post
    Who are the top 3 pro players outside of the NBA? Is Marbury one of them?
    It's goes Sonny Weems, Sonny Weems, annnnnnnnnnnd Sonny Weems.

  2. #22
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    17,776
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote ebrian wrote: View Post
    Who are the top 3 pro players outside of the NBA? Is Marbury one of them?
    Kirilenko and Kristic would probably be in the conversation.

  3. #23
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    129
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    San Antonio was willing to trade Tony Parker and George Hill to get the rights to draft Jonas last year.
    They likely see him as the next in line after David Robinson and Duncan as the their franchise center for the next decade.
    It's a good thing that never panned out.

    http://www.waitingfornextyear.com/20...-pick-at-no-4/

  4. #24
    Raptors Republic Veteran ceez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,143
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Tristan Thompson's been surprisingly good. Definitely a future great player. I wouldn't know him.

  5. #25
    Raptors Republic Starter Raptorsss's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    858
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote tbihis wrote: View Post
    You know what they say, you're only as good as your last game. And with that said, Davis having a pretty bad offensive performance during the NCAA championship plus JV's numerous accolades in the past year, I wont be surprised if JV went #1 this year. Most likely he'll go #2 just because he plays in Europe but Davis will definitely not be a consensus #1 if JV was in this year's draft.
    unfortunately. I'd have to disagree JV can't, wont dominate games defensively the way "eyebrows" can. I mean here's food for thought if you had to choose between drafting Dwight Howard or Marc Gasol, which one would you choose? To me its a no-brainer.
    -"You can’t run from me. I mean, my heart don’t bleed Kool-Aid."
    -"“I ain’t no diva! I don’t have no blond hair, red hair. I’m Reggie Evans.”

  6. #26
    Raptors Republic Rookie bounty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    164
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Jaworski wrote: View Post
    San Antonio was willing to trade Tony Parker and George Hill to get the rights to draft Jonas last year.
    They likely see him as the next in line after David Robinson and Duncan as the their franchise center for the next decade.
    It's a good thing that never panned out.

    http://www.waitingfornextyear.com/20...-pick-at-no-4/
    Good thing that never happened

  7. #27
    Super Moderator ReubenJRD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, BC.
    Posts
    4,003
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Raptorsss wrote: View Post
    unfortunately. I'd have to disagree JV can't, wont dominate games defensively the way "eyebrows" can. I mean here's food for thought if you had to choose between drafting Dwight Howard or Marc Gasol, which one would you choose? To me its a no-brainer.
    But Jonas is a great POST defender, Anthony Davis is a great HELP defender. Jonas CAN and HAS dominated games defensively like Anthony Davis has. Just not as much as Anthony Davis.

    Will they both DOMINATE games defensively in the NBA right of the gate? I don't believe so. Will they have IMPACT defensively in games in the NBA? No question they will.

    In my opinion if the two were to be chosen from #1 or #2. Anthony Davis by far would be number 1 just because of his great offensive skill. Which Jonas is fairly raw in.

  8. #28
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    75
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    So who would be the front runner for the ROY ? Do yoy think JV will be in the mux ?

  9. #29
    Raptors Republic All-Star Miekenstien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,764
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Raptorsss wrote: View Post
    unfortunately. I'd have to disagree JV can't, wont dominate games defensively the way "eyebrows" can. I mean here's food for thought if you had to choose between drafting Dwight Howard or Marc Gasol, which one would you choose? To me its a no-brainer.
    you made a mistake it is eyebrow. there is only the one. like a unicycle but for brows on your eyes

  10. #30
    Raptors Republic All-Star Miekenstien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,764
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
    But Jonas is a great POST defender, Anthony Davis is a great HELP defender. Jonas CAN and HAS dominated games defensively like Anthony Davis has. Just not as much as Anthony Davis.

    Will they both DOMINATE games defensively in the NBA right of the gate? I don't believe so. Will they have IMPACT defensively in games in the NBA? No question they will.

    In my opinion if the two were to be chosen from #1 or #2. Anthony Davis by far would be number 1 just because of his great offensive skill. Which Jonas is fairly raw in.

    i would say davis is number 1 because of his uniqueness and the massive increase in size that is body hasn't caughten up to and his ceiling being other worldly then his offensive game which is still raw. he is developing it quickly but he isn't a great offensive player yet.

  11. #31
    Raptors Republic Starter The Coach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Posts
    319
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Father rev wrote: View Post
    So who would be the front runner for the ROY ? Do yoy think JV will be in the mux ?
    My initial thought was that a big has a harder time making immediate impacts and takes longer to adapt to the NBA game. I wasn't sure where the thoughts came from so I took a look at the last 20ish ROY winners (wikipedia):

    YEAR PLAYER POSITION COUNTRY TEAM DRAFT PICK YEAR
    1992–93 Shaquille O'Neal Center United States Orlando Magic 1 1992
    1993–94 Chris Webber Forward/Center United States Golden State Warriors 1 1993
    1994–95[c] Grant Hill^ Forward/Guard United States Detroit Pistons 3 1994
    1994–95[c] Jason Kidd^ Guard United States Dallas Mavericks 2 1994
    1995–96 Damon Stoudamire Guard United States Toronto Raptors 7 1995
    1996–97 Allen Iverson Guard United States Philadelphia 76ers 1 1996
    1997–98 Tim Duncan^ Forward/Center United States[g] San Antonio Spurs 1 1997
    1998–99 Vince Carter^ Guard/Forward United States Toronto Raptors 5 1998
    1999–00[c] Elton Brand^ Forward United States Chicago Bulls 1 1999
    1999–00[c] Steve Francis Guard United States Houston Rockets 2 1999
    2000–01 Mike Miller^ Forward United States Orlando Magic 5 2000
    2001–02 Pau Gasol^ Forward Spain Memphis Grizzlies 3 2001
    2002–03 Amare Stoudemire^ Forward/Center United States Phoenix Suns 9 2002
    2003–04 LeBron James^ Forward United States Cleveland Cavaliers 1 2003
    2004–05 Emeka Okafor^ Forward/Center United States Charlotte Bobcats 2 2004
    2005–06 Chris Paul^ Guard United States New Orleans/Oklahoma City Hornets 4 2005
    2006–07 Brandon Roy Guard United States Portland Trail Blazers 6 2006
    2007–08 Kevin Durant^ Forward United States Seattle SuperSonics 2 2007
    2008–09 Derrick Rose^ Guard United States Chicago Bulls 1 2008
    2009–10 Tyreke Evans^ Guard United States Sacramento Kings 4 2009
    2010–11 Blake Griffin^ Forward United States Los Angeles Clippers 1 2009[h]


    Looking at the list made me realize that there have been a few bigs that came in and impacted there team immediately. You could argue that the game has changed and this will make it more difficult for JV to win the ROY. The other thing that stood out is that ROY winners do not always end up being the best player after a couple years.

    Didn't really answer the question but thought it was interesting. For what its worth I hope JV makes a huge impact right away; however, I don't see him winning the ROY... think there will be more "dynamic"/sexy pics for the award.
    “Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.”
    ― John Wooden

  12. #32
    Super Moderator ReubenJRD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, BC.
    Posts
    4,003
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Miekenstien wrote: View Post
    i would say davis is number 1 because of his uniqueness and the massive increase in size that is body hasn't caughten up to and his ceiling being other worldly then his offensive game which is still raw. he is developing it quickly but he isn't a great offensive player yet.
    He's a great offensive player at his level he is playing in, going into the NBA it will be solid at best, and good point, sky's the limit for Anthony Davis.

  13. #33
    Super Moderator ReubenJRD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, BC.
    Posts
    4,003
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote The Coach wrote: View Post
    My initial thought was that a big has a harder time making immediate impacts and takes longer to adapt to the NBA game. I wasn't sure where the thoughts came from so I took a look at the last 20ish ROY winners (wikipedia):

    YEAR PLAYER POSITION COUNTRY TEAM DRAFT PICK YEAR
    1992–93 Shaquille O'Neal Center United States Orlando Magic 1 1992
    1993–94 Chris Webber Forward/Center United States Golden State Warriors 1 1993
    1994–95[c] Grant Hill^ Forward/Guard United States Detroit Pistons 3 1994
    1994–95[c] Jason Kidd^ Guard United States Dallas Mavericks 2 1994
    1995–96 Damon Stoudamire Guard United States Toronto Raptors 7 1995
    1996–97 Allen Iverson Guard United States Philadelphia 76ers 1 1996
    1997–98 Tim Duncan^ Forward/Center United States[g] San Antonio Spurs 1 1997
    1998–99 Vince Carter^ Guard/Forward United States Toronto Raptors 5 1998
    1999–00[c] Elton Brand^ Forward United States Chicago Bulls 1 1999
    1999–00[c] Steve Francis Guard United States Houston Rockets 2 1999
    2000–01 Mike Miller^ Forward United States Orlando Magic 5 2000
    2001–02 Pau Gasol^ Forward Spain Memphis Grizzlies 3 2001
    2002–03 Amare Stoudemire^ Forward/Center United States Phoenix Suns 9 2002
    2003–04 LeBron James^ Forward United States Cleveland Cavaliers 1 2003
    2004–05 Emeka Okafor^ Forward/Center United States Charlotte Bobcats 2 2004
    2005–06 Chris Paul^ Guard United States New Orleans/Oklahoma City Hornets 4 2005
    2006–07 Brandon Roy Guard United States Portland Trail Blazers 6 2006
    2007–08 Kevin Durant^ Forward United States Seattle SuperSonics 2 2007
    2008–09 Derrick Rose^ Guard United States Chicago Bulls 1 2008
    2009–10 Tyreke Evans^ Guard United States Sacramento Kings 4 2009
    2010–11 Blake Griffin^ Forward United States Los Angeles Clippers 1 2009[h]


    Looking at the list made me realize that there have been a few bigs that came in and impacted there team immediately. You could argue that the game has changed and this will make it more difficult for JV to win the ROY. The other thing that stood out is that ROY winners do not always end up being the best player after a couple years.

    Didn't really answer the question but thought it was interesting. For what its worth I hope JV makes a huge impact right away; however, I don't see him winning the ROY... think there will be more "dynamic"/sexy pics for the award.
    The one that pops my eye really is that there is only one center in the last 20 years to win the ROY. And that's about 20 years ago. LOL.

  14. #34
    Raptors Republic All-Star Soft Euro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Utrecht, The Netherlands (Yes, that's Europe!)
    Posts
    1,918
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
    The one that pops my eye really is that there is only one center in the last 20 years to win the ROY. And that's about 20 years ago. LOL.
    I count a lot more players who play or have played center.

  15. #35
    Raptors Republic All-Star Puffer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,351
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Did I miss something or is Toronto the only team with two ROTY winners?

  16. #36
    Raptors Republic Starter The Coach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Posts
    319
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Soft Euro wrote: View Post
    I count a lot more players who play or have played center.
    The only true centre on that list would be Shaq, but one could easily make an argument for Okafor... I believe Duncan played more PF when he came in alongside Robinson.
    “Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.”
    ― John Wooden

  17. #37
    Raptors Republic Veteran LBF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton,ON a.k.a. The Hammer!
    Posts
    5,257
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    wait a minute you's actually want to consider the raps not getting the opportunity to draft him.

    screw that.

  18. #38
    Raptors Republic Starter theycallmeZZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    North York, ON
    Posts
    860
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Puffer wrote: View Post
    Did I miss something or is Toronto the only team with two ROTY winners?
    Bulls in '99 and '08

  19. #39
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    275
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Puffer wrote: View Post
    Did I miss something or is Toronto the only team with two ROTY winners?
    Chicago in 99 and 08
    Orlando in 1992 and 2000

  20. #40
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    75
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    David robinson had a big impact when he was drafted and entered the leauge 2 years later with another top pick which i believe was sean elliot. Im looking to see the raptors take tbat road with a jump of winning 22 more games if it was a 82 game season

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •