If JV was in the 2012 draft....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Father rev wrote: View Post
    So who would be the front runner for the ROY ? Do yoy think JV will be in the mux ?
    My initial thought was that a big has a harder time making immediate impacts and takes longer to adapt to the NBA game. I wasn't sure where the thoughts came from so I took a look at the last 20ish ROY winners (wikipedia):

YEAR PLAYER POSITION COUNTRY TEAM DRAFT PICK YEAR
    1992–93 Shaquille O'Neal Center United States Orlando Magic 1 1992
    1993–94 Chris Webber Forward/Center United States Golden State Warriors 1 1993
    1994–95[c] Grant Hill^ Forward/Guard United States Detroit Pistons 3 1994
    1994–95[c] Jason Kidd^ Guard United States Dallas Mavericks 2 1994
    1995–96 Damon Stoudamire Guard United States Toronto Raptors 7 1995
    1996–97 Allen Iverson Guard United States Philadelphia 76ers 1 1996
    1997–98 Tim Duncan^ Forward/Center United States[g] San Antonio Spurs 1 1997
    1998–99 Vince Carter^ Guard/Forward United States Toronto Raptors 5 1998
    1999–00[c] Elton Brand^ Forward United States Chicago Bulls 1 1999
    1999–00[c] Steve Francis Guard United States Houston Rockets 2 1999
    2000–01 Mike Miller^ Forward United States Orlando Magic 5 2000
    2001–02 Pau Gasol^ Forward Spain Memphis Grizzlies 3 2001
    2002–03 Amare Stoudemire^ Forward/Center United States Phoenix Suns 9 2002
    2003–04 LeBron James^ Forward United States Cleveland Cavaliers 1 2003
    2004–05 Emeka Okafor^ Forward/Center United States Charlotte Bobcats 2 2004
    2005–06 Chris Paul^ Guard United States New Orleans/Oklahoma City Hornets 4 2005
    2006–07 Brandon Roy Guard United States Portland Trail Blazers 6 2006
    2007–08 Kevin Durant^ Forward United States Seattle SuperSonics 2 2007
    2008–09 Derrick Rose^ Guard United States Chicago Bulls 1 2008
    2009–10 Tyreke Evans^ Guard United States Sacramento Kings 4 2009
    2010–11 Blake Griffin^ Forward United States Los Angeles Clippers 1 2009[h]

Looking at the list made me realize that there have been a few bigs that came in and impacted there team immediately. You could argue that the game has changed and this will make it more difficult for JV to win the ROY. The other thing that stood out is that ROY winners do not always end up being the best player after a couple years.

Didn't really answer the question but thought it was interesting. For what its worth I hope JV makes a huge impact right away; however, I don't see him winning the ROY... think there will be more "dynamic"/sexy pics for the award.
    “Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.”
    ― John Wooden

Comment

Miekenstien wrote: View Post
      i would say davis is number 1 because of his uniqueness and the massive increase in size that is body hasn't caughten up to and his ceiling being other worldly then his offensive game which is still raw. he is developing it quickly but he isn't a great offensive player yet.
      He's a great offensive player at his level he is playing in, going into the NBA it will be solid at best, and good point, sky's the limit for Anthony Davis.
      Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

The Coach wrote: View Post
        My initial thought was that a big has a harder time making immediate impacts and takes longer to adapt to the NBA game. I wasn't sure where the thoughts came from so I took a look at the last 20ish ROY winners (wikipedia):

YEAR PLAYER POSITION COUNTRY TEAM DRAFT PICK YEAR
        1992–93 Shaquille O'Neal Center United States Orlando Magic 1 1992
        1993–94 Chris Webber Forward/Center United States Golden State Warriors 1 1993
        1994–95[c] Grant Hill^ Forward/Guard United States Detroit Pistons 3 1994
        1994–95[c] Jason Kidd^ Guard United States Dallas Mavericks 2 1994
        1995–96 Damon Stoudamire Guard United States Toronto Raptors 7 1995
        1996–97 Allen Iverson Guard United States Philadelphia 76ers 1 1996
        1997–98 Tim Duncan^ Forward/Center United States[g] San Antonio Spurs 1 1997
        1998–99 Vince Carter^ Guard/Forward United States Toronto Raptors 5 1998
        1999–00[c] Elton Brand^ Forward United States Chicago Bulls 1 1999
        1999–00[c] Steve Francis Guard United States Houston Rockets 2 1999
        2000–01 Mike Miller^ Forward United States Orlando Magic 5 2000
        2001–02 Pau Gasol^ Forward Spain Memphis Grizzlies 3 2001
        2002–03 Amare Stoudemire^ Forward/Center United States Phoenix Suns 9 2002
        2003–04 LeBron James^ Forward United States Cleveland Cavaliers 1 2003
        2004–05 Emeka Okafor^ Forward/Center United States Charlotte Bobcats 2 2004
        2005–06 Chris Paul^ Guard United States New Orleans/Oklahoma City Hornets 4 2005
        2006–07 Brandon Roy Guard United States Portland Trail Blazers 6 2006
        2007–08 Kevin Durant^ Forward United States Seattle SuperSonics 2 2007
        2008–09 Derrick Rose^ Guard United States Chicago Bulls 1 2008
        2009–10 Tyreke Evans^ Guard United States Sacramento Kings 4 2009
        2010–11 Blake Griffin^ Forward United States Los Angeles Clippers 1 2009[h]

Looking at the list made me realize that there have been a few bigs that came in and impacted there team immediately. You could argue that the game has changed and this will make it more difficult for JV to win the ROY. The other thing that stood out is that ROY winners do not always end up being the best player after a couple years.

Didn't really answer the question but thought it was interesting. For what its worth I hope JV makes a huge impact right away; however, I don't see him winning the ROY... think there will be more "dynamic"/sexy pics for the award.
        The one that pops my eye really is that there is only one center in the last 20 years to win the ROY. And that's about 20 years ago. LOL.
        Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
          The one that pops my eye really is that there is only one center in the last 20 years to win the ROY. And that's about 20 years ago. LOL.
          I count a lot more players who play or have played center.

Comment

Did I miss something or is Toronto the only team with two ROTY winners?

Comment

Soft Euro wrote: View Post
              I count a lot more players who play or have played center.
              The only true centre on that list would be Shaq, but one could easily make an argument for Okafor... I believe Duncan played more PF when he came in alongside Robinson.
              “Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.”
              ― John Wooden

Comment

wait a minute you's actually want to consider the raps not getting the opportunity to draft him.

screw that.
                If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
                  Bulls in '99 and '08
                  TORONTOOOOOO RAPTORSSSSSS

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
                    Chicago in 99 and 08
                    Orlando in 1992 and 2000

Comment

David robinson had a big impact when he was drafted and entered the leauge 2 years later with another top pick which i believe was sean elliot. Im looking to see the raptors take tbat road with a jump of winning 22 more games if it was a 82 game season

Comment

Father rev wrote: View Post
                        David robinson had a big impact when he was drafted and entered the leauge 2 years later with another top pick which i believe was sean elliot. Im looking to see the raptors take tbat road with a jump of winning 22 more games if it was a 82 game season
                        Robinson was also 25 if I recall correct. He had to serve out his navy service before playing for the Spurs.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                          Given the things he has accomplished since last year's draft:

a re-do of '11 puts him at #2;

and entry in to this draft puts him at #2.
                          Exactly right...

Comment

#1 for me. Much more potent offensive game and can make free throws which is huge in the NBA. Davis has the edge defensively but the gap is small. If you look at their overall game I see no reason to put Davis over Jonas. This kid is the real deal, I can't wait for him to come over. As for a redo of last year its a toss between him and Irving. I'd still take Jonas #1 though because of the upside and defensive prowess.

Comment

Macc wrote: View Post
                              #1 for me. Much more potent offensive game and can make free throws which is huge in the NBA. Davis has the edge defensively but the gap is small. If you look at their overall game I see no reason to put Davis over Jonas. This kid is the real deal, I can't wait for him to come over. As for a redo of last year its a toss between him and Irving. I'd still take Jonas #1 though because of the upside and defensive prowess.
                              If you are tossing up Jonas and Kyrie then, in my books, you have to put Davis ahead of both of them. He is a much more highly touted first overall pick than Irving was last year. Scouts are saying he is a franchise changer and the "real deal". I don't remember that talk last year. Even the "homer" Jack Armstrong says that JV would go #2 this year... with no argument what-so-ever about who the #1 pick is. Armstrong has been urging fans to start praying for the #1 pick to fall there way... again not something I heard from him last year. I haven't watched Davis all year; however, from the tourny it was obvious that this guy impacts the game far more than Irving did in his first year (even when he was healthy) and projects to be a Kevin Garnett/Kevin Durant type. What we can't measure right now is the "fire" within and the other intangibles necessary to be a megastar.

I have loved what I see from JV, and hope he is as good as some are thinking; however, I am keeping my expectations in the Joakim Noah projection.
                              ― John Wooden

Comment

I stand by what I said earlier..I don't think anyone would say Marc Gasol is a bad defender (I think he is still top 10 in blocks), but he isn't D-Howard.

Also, I don't think anyone would say that Davis is a good offensive player, only that he is efficient. He's Dwight Howard with a jump shot.

While JV is a Marc Gasol with better athleticism.
                                -"You can’t run from me. I mean, my heart don’t bleed Kool-Aid."
                                -"“I ain’t no diva! I don’t have no blond hair, red hair. I’m Reggie Evans.”

Comment

Working...
                                X