If not Ed Davis, then who?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If not Ed Davis, then who?

I feel like we have become increasingly critical of how Ed Davis has been performing, and now some feel as though we wasted our pick in the 2010 draft.

I'm not saying Ed Davis has been playing well, it's just I don't really see any names that were drafted after Ed that I would prefer.

The only name I see is Jordan Crawford and maybe Avery Bradley given how he has been playing as of late.

But I would still prefer Ed to the likes Trevor Booker and Landry Fields. Although they may be playing slightly better than Ed, our team would not be any better if they were in Ed's place.

So besides Crawford (who almost every other team passed on as well) and maybe Bradley, I'm still happy we drafted Ed. The potential is still there.

+
    (Sorry for poor English )

Comment

It was definitely the right pick. Avery Bradley would have made some sense too.
      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

I don't think anyone is actually criticizing Bryan for picking Davis when he did. I mean he was the 13th selection in a weak draft. Bryan picked the best player available. The problem is that Davis has never really been considered part of the core - at least that's the feeling I get when I hear from Casey/Bryan in the media.

And with a glut of forwards already it seems like Davis would be the first to go. I think he'll have a bright future, but more so like a very good role player asked to play good defense and grab boards.

Davis is a good example of what could happen when you have a high lottery pick. A team that just missed the playoffs or just got in and gets smoked in the first round will have a very tough time rebuilding through the draft. You might get a gem, but chances are you will either get a bust or someone that's just mediocre. I see Davis more as a mediocre player than as a gem. He was definitely not a bust though.

Comment

Davis was not a high lottery pick. #14 is the last lotto pick and he was #13. If I remember correctly Bradley was being seriously considered and came here for 2 workouts. ED was not expected to fall as much hence when he did BC picked him. All of the draft is a crap shoot really except at the top in a deep draft. Even then...

Comment

I think he could be a good player, he has hit some bumps along the way. He came out of College with an injured wrist and then got injured leading up to the season. He had no guidance last off season, when he really needed some. His offence is horrible! He needs to go on with a focus on polishing his game and gaining some strength. Last off-season it looks like he worked out and nothing else. I have a lot of faint in him, hopefully there is some improvement over the offseason.

Comment

saints91 wrote: View Post
              I think he could be a good player, he has hit some bumps along the way. He came out of College with an injured wrist and then got injured leading up to the season. He had no guidance last off season, when he really needed some. His offence is horrible! He needs to go on with a focus on polishing his game and gaining some strength. Last off-season it looks like he worked out and nothing else. I have a lot of faint in him, hopefully there is some improvement over the offseason.
              Ed still looks a little teenagerish to me out on the court. Heck, Demar is only just starting to look like a man, and that not all the time.

It took Bargs 5 years to finally harden into a mature player who's ready to play-to-win. (or, at least, his version of that)

I think Ed has the tools to be a valuable role player on a perennial contender. Just needs some time.

That being said, with JV and the pick coming over next year, realistically, we're looking at 3 years before we can expect to get out of the first round.

Comment

I like Ed. He's got a good head and good skills. He needs a lot of work on O and everyone knows it, but the type of game he plays doesn't have to be 20-10 basketball. He could be a solid role player with above average talent. If he gets his jump hook working better and straightens out his jumpshot at least from about 12-15 feet, he's a keeper. Either way though, it always comes back to keeping him or Amir, and that will probably hold true. In the long run it doesn't really matter. If we keep Ed and he improves, we could easily lose him after his rookie deal, and if we keep Amir, his deal lasts just a year longer, but he probably won't improve much skills-wise(he could still tighten his game and play smarter though).

And I don't think making it out of the first round is necessarily that far away. If we can get into the 3-6 range (assuming Miami and Chicago have prety solid shots to stay atop for 3-4 more years), then it should be possible. The East is still a crapshoot. Boston is going to rebuild soon. Orlando is a huge mess right now so who knows. Atlanta won't get better, but who knows when they start getting worse. Philly is still mediocre and lacks a franchise player. NY will have to prove next year they can be contenders because they haven't looked like it this year. Indiana is young and good, but still doesn't feel like they have enough to contend...And lots of bad teams or teams with many unkowns: CLE, DET, MIL, NJ, CHA, WAS. It's not really locked up.

Comment

Junior wrote: View Post
                  I feel like we have become increasingly critical of how Ed Davis has been performing, and now some feel as though we wasted our pick in the 2010 draft.
                  Considering his age, his talents and where he went in the draft he isn't even remotely a wasted pick. In fact, he was an excellent pick. The Raptors aren't trying to win a title right now, they collecting assets to be used to build up a team into a contender. Drafting Ed Davis was all about snatching up the best player available. We have to look at the long term picture when analyzing this stuff. We need to try and look at it through the perspective of a GM to understand why a GM does what he does.

Comment

I don't think that he was even close to a wasted pick. Remember, no training camp in each of his first 2 seasons, and the nights where he plays well, he is one of our best defensive players.

Comment

BallaBalla wrote: View Post
                      I don't think that he was even close to a wasted pick. Remember, no training camp in each of his first 2 seasons, and the nights where he plays well, he is one of our best defensive players.
                      I'd feel a lot better about Ed Davis if he was turning 21 this year rather than 23.

He is actually 2 months older than DeRozan.

Comment

Working...
                      X