Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 41

Thread: Mark Spears suggested that Steve Nash should consider TORONTO

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    130
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Mark Spears suggested that Steve Nash should consider TORONTO

    http://sports.yahoo.com/video/player...s_NBA/28837170

    Jonas would need a great pick & roll partner... so maybe...

  2. #2
    Raptors Republic All-Star DoNDaDDa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Rexdale
    Posts
    1,097
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Im torn on this.. id like to see nash as a Raptor.. Id also like to see him win a title.. Im sure he feels the same

    Jose is a good pick & roll guy.. so even if we do nothing the raps will be ok in that regard

  3. #3
    Raptors Republic Starter c_bcm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    Posts
    290
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Yeah..I'll pass on Nash. As good as he is, he never wanted to play here at his prime, kinda like magloire. Plus, need a young pg to take over once Jose is done. Nota guy who wants to have a token few years in his homeland as a nod of the head. I would rather not be an epilogue to his career.

  4. #4
    Raptors Republic Rookie bounty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    164
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote c_bcm wrote: View Post
    Yeah..I'll pass on Nash. As good as he is, he never wanted to play here at his prime, kinda like magloire. Plus, need a young pg to take over once Jose is done. Nota guy who wants to have a token few years in his homeland as a nod of the head. I would rather not be an epilogue to his career.
    Good point if he didnt want to come in his prime then whats the point in having him now? What we need is a young pg moving forward with the youth that we allready have.

  5. #5
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    49
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I feel Nash won't be worth the money by the time the team is ready to make a real run. Much better finding a PG at least 27years or under to grow with the team.

  6. #6
    Raptors Republic All-Star Miekenstien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,877
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    nash for 3 years would be great. we are ready for big time after next year. next year is playoffs taste tester time.

  7. #7
    Raptors Republic Rookie bounty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    164
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Jaworski wrote: View Post
    http://sports.yahoo.com/video/player...s_NBA/28837170

    Jonas would need a great pick & roll partner... so maybe...

    Whats wrong with Jose?

  8. #8
    Raptors Republic Starter Deadallus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    201
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote bounty wrote: View Post
    Whats wrong with Jose?
    Nothing is wrong with Jose; but Nash scores better, shoots at a better FG, FT and 3Pt % and drops more dimes. And while Jose is good at pick and rolls, Nash is fantastic.
    Deadallus

  9. #9
    Raptors Republic Starter IROR's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Ottawa/Toronto
    Posts
    262
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    If he wants to, why not? not like he'll be signing a long term, risky contract...even at 10 mill for the next 2 years would be fine the raps can preserve space for that long

  10. #10
    Raptors Republic Starter RapthoseLeafs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Northern Ontario
    Posts
    620
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Exactly

    Quote IROR wrote: View Post
    If he wants to, why not? not like he'll be signing a long term, risky contract...even at 10 mill for the next 2 years would be fine the raps can preserve space for that long
    A cap space of that amount would be an asset down the road.

    .

  11. #11
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    38
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    If we win the lottery and can team Jonas up with Anthony Davis, then yes. That team (including whatever wing player we could get for Bargnani) would knock some heads.

    Other than that its probably not a good fit for either.

  12. #12
    Raptors Republic Rookie bounty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    164
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    http://espn.go.com/nba/truehoop/miam...eat-free-agent


    "I'm not coming back to the Suns if there isn't improvement," Nash told "The Dan Patrick Show".

    Nash explained he's expecting the Suns to try to make those improvements, but that he's looking forward to becoming a free agent and deciding where to continue his career.

    The hypothetical of LeBron James asking Nash to join up in Miami for one last push at a championship was brought up.

    "I would listen," Nash said. "He's phenomenal. I love what they're doing there. A lot of people don't like them because they put all that talent there. But they're professional, they play hard, they play together. Their coaching staff has done a great job, so I have a tremendous amount of respect for them.

    "I would definitely listen."

    It shouldn't surprise anyone the 38-year-old point guard without a world championship might be enticed by the idea of joining a contender that has what many consider a relative hole at the point guard slot.

    Keeping the Heat in the conversation could be used as leverage in negotiations with other teams. But joining the Heat would mean that Nash would be leaving millions of dollars on the table.

    The Heat won't have any salary-cap space next summer, so Nash would have to settle for the mid-level exception if he wanted to join the club.

    Plenty of teams, including the Suns, could offer much more money than the Heat.

    But for someone who has earned about $120 million during his career, sacrificing some money for winning a title might be palatable to Nash.

    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Any thoughts on this? I personally think he'd set this team up very well and would end up averaging 8ppg, along with 13 apg. I mean, if an Amar'e-Nash pick and roll seemed unstoppable, can you imagine a LeBron-Nash pick and roll? Nash-Wade-James, would you consider this the greatest backcourt of all time?

  13. #13
    Raptors Republic Veteran ceez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,759
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I don't think it's a good fit at all. Both Nash and Lebron need to dominate the ball to be effective, especially Nash. Lebron and co. could say "we'll let you do your thing!" all they want but I don't see it.

  14. #14
    Raptors Republic Rookie bounty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    164
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    I don't think it's a good fit at all. Both Nash and Lebron need to dominate the ball to be effective, especially Nash. Lebron and co. could say "we'll let you do your thing!" all they want but I don't see it.
    He's going to make LeBron's life a whole lot easier since LeBron is the primary scorer, primary ball-handler, and primary passer. If Nash goes to the Heat, he'll be the primary ball-handler and primary passer, leaving LeBron to score, rebound, and defend.

  15. #15
    Raptors Republic Starter Deadallus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    201
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    I don't think it's a good fit at all. Both Nash and Lebron need to dominate the ball to be effective, especially Nash. Lebron and co. could say "we'll let you do your thing!" all they want but I don't see it.
    Lets not forget this team has a strong defensive identity which is not Nash's strong point. I think a team he'd fit in well with the Nuggets.
    Deadallus

  16. #16
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,391
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Deadallus wrote: View Post
    Lets not forget this team has a strong defensive identity which is not Nash's strong point. I think a team he'd fit in well with the Nuggets.
    Nash has a solid oppPER of 14.3 (82games.com) this season and the same 14.3 oppPER last season. That is much better than Bayless (16.8 this year and 19 last) and Calderon (18 this year and 18.2 last year).

    Stats are hardly the be all and end all but given the style of play PHX has employed the majority of the last 10 years, I'm not sure he has been given a fair shake.
    Last edited by mcHAPPY; Sun Apr 8th, 2012 at 01:22 PM.

  17. #17
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    5
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Marc J. Spears has identified the big advantage the Raps have over other suitors -- an ability and willingness to set him up for his post-playing years.

    I think if the Raps offered him somewhere in the neighborhood of 3 years/$30M, with a handshake deal that they'd give him a small ownership stake (like 0.5%) after retirement and a position in the head office, he would seriously consider it. They could even offer to expand the Steve Nash Fitness World and Sports Club chain into the condo complex at Maple Leaf Square. No idea how this would mess up his ownership stake in the Vancouver MLS franchise, but clearly he has an eye on interests outside of the NBA.

    Nash has shown that his interests stretch far beyond the playing floor, and a deal that sets him up for a post-retirement life of being Mr. Basketball in Canada would be enticing.

  18. #18
    Raptors Republic Rookie bounty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    164
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Deadallus wrote: View Post
    Lets not forget this team has a strong defensive identity which is not Nash's strong point. I think a team he'd fit in well with the Nuggets.

    The Miami Heat have terrific team defense and they make-up for any poor defense that is made by one player. Sure Nash won't be able to guard Rose, but Wade and LeBron can. Nash can't guard Westbrook or Rondo but Wade and LeBron can. If someone drives the lane and gets passed Nash, they still have to get passed a combination of James-Wade-Bosh-Haslem-Turiaf-Anthony-Battier.

    Also, Nash doesn't play much defense because he's never been on a team that plays defense. If he were to join the Miami Heat, I could see his defense improving a bit a la Ray Allen when he joined the Celtics. Ray Allen was a terrible defender in Seattle but since he's joined the Boston Celtics, he's been one of their best perimeter defenders, probably the best perimeter defender on that team after Rondo.

  19. #19
    Raptors Republic All-Star Miekenstien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,877
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote bounty wrote: View Post
    The Miami Heat have terrific team defense and they make-up for any poor defense that is made by one player. Sure Nash won't be able to guard Rose, but Wade and LeBron can. Nash can't guard Westbrook or Rondo but Wade and LeBron can. If someone drives the lane and gets passed Nash, they still have to get passed a combination of James-Wade-Bosh-Haslem-Turiaf-Anthony-Battier.

    Also, Nash doesn't play much defense because he's never been on a team that plays defense. If he were to join the Miami Heat, I could see his defense improving a bit a la Ray Allen when he joined the Celtics. Ray Allen was a terrible defender in Seattle but since he's joined the Boston Celtics, he's been one of their best perimeter defenders, probably the best perimeter defender on that team after Rondo.
    i think nash to miami is silly. not picking on you but yours was the last post advocating it. lebron averages almost 8 assists a game. why would you ever not want the ball in his hands. miami needs a point guard like bayless. someone who is looking for their shot and can get to the rim and hit the 3 who also plays on ball defense. i think chalmers, with his improved 3 ball, is doing well there.

    taking the ball away from lebron is stupid. lebron is so good at this game you cant measure it or even realize it. look at any of the best players for their position and what kind of stats they put up and you can slot lebron into the top 5, if not top 1 or 2. if he played point only he would be the best point guard. if he played the two he would be the best 2 guard, playing the 3 he is the best, if he played the 4 he would be one of the best, might be a couple who could over power him and if he played center he could probably do better than ben wallace did. that guy is so good at this game its ridiculous.

    put it another way. would you pair magic johnson and steve nash. i really dont like arguing for the heat but their money is best spent on someone else.

  20. #20
    Raptors Republic Rookie bounty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    164
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Miekenstien wrote: View Post
    i think nash to miami is silly. not picking on you but yours was the last post advocating it. lebron averages almost 8 assists a game. why would you ever not want the ball in his hands. miami needs a point guard like bayless. someone who is looking for their shot and can get to the rim and hit the 3 who also plays on ball defense. i think chalmers, with his improved 3 ball, is doing well there.

    taking the ball away from lebron is stupid. lebron is so good at this game you cant measure it or even realize it. look at any of the best players for their position and what kind of stats they put up and you can slot lebron into the top 5, if not top 1 or 2. if he played point only he would be the best point guard. if he played the two he would be the best 2 guard, playing the 3 he is the best, if he played the 4 he would be one of the best, might be a couple who could over power him and if he played center he could probably do better than ben wallace did. that guy is so good at this game its ridiculous.

    put it another way. would you pair magic johnson and steve nash. i really dont like arguing for the heat but their money is best spent on someone else.
    LeBron and Wade have vastly improved their off-ball skills compared to last season. Not only that but Nash will make LeBron and Wade improve even more when it comes to off-ball situations. I think you're forgetting exactly how good Nash can make other players and how much he improves them and not to be rude but i dont get your point about magic you do know that both him and Nash are pg?.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •