Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NFL Fantasy Football DYNASTY League (S2 Discussion, see post 188 for final stats)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let's rock and roll!

That's it, the league is full. We draft next weekend. It will be a live auction so study up on that if you haven't tried it before. I recommend doing a mock at Yahoo. Review the scoring and roster settings. Have fun!

Comment

Welcome to the league everyone!

Mack, it looks like we're locking horns right out of the gate. Watch out ha,ha.

Comment

"I challenge you to a duel!" haha We've got a pretty good rivalry going between football and basketball, Apollo. Let the games begin!

Comment

Time to get ready!

Hell yeah! The draft is this weekend guys. Sunday to be exact. It's also live auction. Because we have 30 man rosters I need to put some real thought into the auction caps. What would be a good number, $300($10/player), $600($20/player)?

Comment

18 starters, 12 bench players... gonna need a big cap. I guess it depends on how you intend to pre-value players. Most of the leagues out there now seem to be setting average auction values for the top tier at each position in the $30-$35 range and downward from there. It would be nice to align with that, since any research people do will be based on those kinds of numbers.

A cap in the neighbourhood of $160-$175 for starters plus another $25-$35 for bench players might be close. Then start everyone post-auction with a balance of $30 or so to use for the year on waiver players.
            Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Comment

I've preset Waiver Wire money to $100 for everyone.

For the draft itself, we can have auction money set to as high a $999; that's the ceiling.

Comment

I think that's an awful lot for waivers. Waiver players generally go for for $1-$2. And since this is a dynasty league, I think you'd want to encourage trades more than waiver pickups.

With $100, it's basically unlimited waiver pickups, which means there's no real risk/reward decision in picking guys up on a weekly basis. It's good for single-year leagues, as it gives people a chance to get back in the game by grabbing guys off the wire, but it doesn't, IMO, make owners really have to weigh their management decisions the way you want in a long-term league. Every roster move should have bigger consequences in a dynasty league (ie. if I pick this guy up off the wire now thinking he's going to explode, I'll have spent all my waiver cash; is it worth it, or should I wait in case I actually NEED a guy later on?).

Same rationale goes for the auction, although at least there you're somewhat regulated by what other owners do. But you should have to make a real choice re: how you intend to distribute your cap money -- you shouldn't be able to spend max dollars on 3 positions, for instance -- you should have to choose to go with a top-tier RB -OR- a top-tier WR. Whatever the cap is, it should reflect that principle, I think. Not have so much money that you can bid the sky for 5 or 6 guys.

Just my 2 cents.
                Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Comment

It's all relative. If it's $100 then people will bid more on players. Yahoo's standard setting $100 so I think it's more common than you think.

If you want a player badly and you think he's going to be top 50 or 30 or 20 are you gonna bid $1 with $100 cap or are you gonna bid $60 or $70 even depending on the player? I think $100 is fine. There is no standard price tag on WW players. The market decides and if there is more money at play the market will decide that player values are higher.

Again, the draft prices are all relative. Are you gonna bid the same for Foster if your cap is $300 compared to $150? You'll be left in the dust... And sitting on lots of unspent dollars by the end of the draft.

If you guys don't like the numbers, propose new numbers and we'll talk about it here. I'm open minded and I want a happy medium so everyone is satisfied. We need to do this fast because the draft is happening Sunday and I'm not going to look at this stuff Sunday morning.

Comment

You don't need to bid on waiver pickups. Or, you don't need to bid as much as you would in an auction, because you're only competing with others who may want the same player, which in many cases might be "nobody". I'd prefer that it's not so easy to pick the waiver wire clean of weekly hot performers, personally. I can't see anyone paying $60 out of a $100 cash supply for a player who wasn't drafted, based on one hot fantasy performance. There won't be 12 owners bidding for that player like it's the pre-season auction.

And my point re: setting the auction cap lower is simply so that the prices we end up paying in this league aren't too far off what the major fantasy news sites are pricing guys at. For research purposes, it's much easier that way. Sure, we could set our cap at $1000 and a guy like Foster will go for $100 instead of $30. But that makes it more difficult to do research on average player values. Auction prices are indeed relative, so why make it difficult by going away from what's already out there?

I guess I was just thinking a dynasty league should have a higher level of difficulty and require a little more risk by owners. Roster turnover should be in the interest of building a franchise, not building a one-season league winner with the knowledge that the entire roster will be different the next year. Which means that roster turnover should be a lot lower in a dynasty than in a one-season league, with changes being more risky and impactful to a franchise's long-term success.

For the sake of interest, I'm in a dynasty league that's been running for over 10 years, and it has an auction cap of $150 and post-auction waiver limit of $30, for a roster of QB-RB-RB-WR-WR-WR-TE-K-Flex + 10 bench players. Top 3-4 guys at each skill position went in the range of $25-$35, starting TEs at $5-ish, and Ks at $2. Most bench players were in the $1 to $10 range.

Comment

jimmie wrote: View Post
                      You don't need to bid on waiver pickups. Or, you don't need to bid as much as you would in an auction, because you're only competing with others who may want the same player, which in many cases might be "nobody". I'd prefer that it's not so easy to pick the waiver wire clean of weekly hot performers, personally. I can't see anyone paying $60 out of a $100 cash supply for a player who wasn't drafted, based on one hot fantasy performance. There won't be 12 owners bidding for that player like it's the pre-season auction.
                      If no one is bidding then wouldn't you pick the wire clear regardless?

Right, you get one blind bid and if you really need a replacement then what are you gonna do? Insure you get him or take a chance. It doesn't matter what the cap is, this reality still exists. You have no clue what the other bids are.

I guess I was just thinking a dynasty league should have a higher level of difficulty and require a little more risk by owners. Roster turnover should be in the interest of building a franchise, not building a one-season league winner with the knowledge that the entire roster will be different the next year. Which means that roster turnover should be a lot lower in a dynasty than in a one-season league, with changes being more risky and impactful to a franchise's long-term success.
                      This is actually an excellent point. Let's hear what others think as well.

And my point re: setting the auction cap lower is simply so that the prices we end up paying in this league aren't too far off what the major fantasy news sites are pricing guys at. For research purposes, it's much easier that way. Sure, we could set our cap at $1000 and a guy like Foster will go for $100 instead of $30. But that makes it more difficult to do research on average player values. Auction prices are indeed relative, so why make it difficult by going away from what's already out there?
                      For the sake of interest, I'm in a dynasty league that's been running for over 10 years, and it has an auction cap of $150 and post-auction waiver limit of $30, for a roster of QB-RB-RB-WR-WR-WR-TE-K-Flex + 10 bench players. Top 3-4 guys at each skill position went in the range of $25-$35, starting TEs at $5-ish, and Ks at $2. Most bench players were in the $1 to $10 range.
                      $150 is too small for a 30 man roster. Most NBA auction drafts with a maximum roster limit of 15 even use $200 for the draft.

Comment

I've never been in a league like this, and have only done two auction drafts ever so I'm still new to the whole thing. All my leagues have just been straight one season and then everyone starts at zero again, so it seems the two of you would know how to set the rules a little better than me or possibly the rest of us who joined.

I do like the idea of it being harder to drop a guy, say because of a season ending injury if he's a good player.

Question in case I missed it earlier: How many players do we keep, or are we allowed to keep, at the end of the season?

Also, FML because I won't be around for this draft dammit!!! I hate missing drafts.

Comment

Because of the roster size it's difficult to make this league too complex. We could deploy a cap system but it would be tough to manage with a 30 team roster.

I think the limit on how many you can keep should be 30. You would have to forfeit draft picks if you kept too many. I think we should have a minimum of players you must keep. If we're going to have seven round drafts then the keeper minimum should be 23 players.

Anyway, the league settings right now are:

YR 1 Draft budget: $200 Auction
                          YR2 and beyond: 5 round snaking draft
                          Waiver Wire budget: $100
                          Roster size: 30
                          Minimum keepers: 23

Jimmie wants:
                          YR 1 Draft budget: $150 Auction
                          Waiver Wire budget: $30

So why don't we say:
                          YR 1 Draft budget: $200 Auction
                          YR2 and beyond: 5 round snaking draft
                          Waiver Wire budget: $30
                          Roster size: 30
                          Minimum keepers: 25

Do we want a can't cut list?
                          Do we want a maximum player acquisitions per week limit? Right now I have it set to 3 acquisitions.
                          Last edited by Apollo; Thu Aug 23, 2012, 10:45 PM. Reason: Updated

Comment

23 Man roster going into next seasons draft is fine with me(depending on how my season goes, hehe jk). There's always a few retirees, over-the-hill-vets, rookies and such coming the next season so 7 sounds like a nice round number. 5 is too little and 10 is too many.

As far as the budgets, well, as I said earlier, I won't be there for this draft so it really doesn't matter to me I suppose. If guys are doing research and Jimmie's numbers' are what's out there, then go for those. Not too many people are submitting their input in here, so I'm just trying to do my part, for what it's worth...

Comment

One more catch, the draft will only include rookies. Starting in year 2 that is. So, all the players dropped will enter the WW pool post draft.

Thanks for the input Mack and thanks Jimmie as well. We can do $30, I just don't want to short change everyone. How about this, we try $30 this season and if it's not enough we bump it next season? I really do feel we shouldn't go below $200 on the draft budget. It's a one time thing anyway.

Comment

OK then that changes things, 5 rookies each on 10 teams is 50 rookies. That should suffice. Besides, who knows how many guys will keep track of their teams(we have a few managers that don't play in our other leagues).

Comment

Working...
                                X