Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• April 9- Indiana Pacers - Barbosa Reunion Edition

ESPN Preview:

The Indiana Pacers welcomed a day off after a grueling stretch, and they will no doubt be welcoming their next opponent to Bankers Life Fieldhouse.

The Pacers have won six straight at home over the Toronto Raptors heading into Monday night's matchup.

Playing for the fourth time in five nights and coming off an emotional victory over Oklahoma City, Indiana (34-22) looked lethargic in shooting 35.1 percent Saturday as its four-game win streak ended with an 86-72 home loss to Boston.

"Yes it was four games in five nights but we knew coming into the season the lockout would have an impact on games," said coach Frank Vogel after his club matched its season low in points. "You can't overreact or underreact in any situation."

Top scorer Danny Granger averaged 26.3 points during the four-game streak but was a different player Saturday with 20 points on 6-of-15 shooting.

"This is just a bump in the road for us, and we must put it behind us and get ready for the next game," Granger said. "We had several shots that could have dropped, but they didn't."

The Pacers are in third place in the Eastern Conference, one-half game ahead of Atlanta and one game in front of Orlando.

Indiana has averaged 117.3 points during this six-game home win streak over Toronto (20-37), with Granger averaging 21.7 in those contests.

The Raptors are making their lone visit to Indiana this season after two five-point home losses to the Pacers. Indiana has displayed better balance in both of those games with five players in double figures compared to three for Toronto, which is 7-23 all-time on the road in this series.

Jose Calderon returned with a team-high 19 points Sunday after a one-game absence with an eye injury as Toronto lost its second straight, 91-75 at Oklahoma City.

Andrea Bargnani had seven points and five rebounds in 13 minutes before he missed the second half due to left calf tightness. His status for Monday is uncertain.

Bargnani has missed 21 games this season due to a calf problem that the Raptors believe has flared up again.

"He's our best scorer, he's a 7-footer and again, he had been playing excellent pick-and-roll defense for us through the last few games and losing him is huge," coach Dwane Casey said.

Casey feels the Raptors' defense continues to progress, limiting teams to 43.7 percent from the field for one of the league's better marks. Toronto has allowed opponents to shoot 39.9 percent over the last four contests, with the high-scoring Thunder held to 41.7 percent.

"I'm looking for a foundation, a defensive foundation of toughness, playing through tough stretches, not hanging your head and for the most part throughout the year, we've done that," Casey said.

The Raptors felt that Sunday's game was a physical affair, and expect a similar matchup against Indiana.

"I think we are going to run into a team that is very hungry, a team that has been playing well of late," center Jamaal Magloire said. "We have to not make any excuses. I think the key for us is hitting first and not backing down, not even for a second. "

Matt52 wrote: View Post
    How are you Leandro? Raptor fans and all of Toronto misses you my friend

Count one for the tank.
    Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

The Raps will be tired and undermanned. Casey should have them just concentrate on defensive sets and make it an in-game teaching exercise.

Comment

I look for Demar to go off tonight.

Comment

Am I alone in hoping that the Raps sign LB in the offseason?

Comment

RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
            I look for Demar to go off tonight.
            Even with George guarding him? Thought you were over the moon on George... I think Demar could have a similar night to last night with George, Hill, Jones and possibly Granger checking him. Only way I see Demar going off is if he gets the benefit of the whistle and spends some time at the free throw line (He's had a tough go getting calls as of late).

Comment

.40 Cal Flakes wrote: View Post
              Unless Gary Forbes breaks down, I'm with you.

Comment

RAPresenting wrote: View Post
                Even with George guarding him? Thought you were over the moon on George... I think Demar could have a similar night to last night with George, Hill, Jones and possibly Granger checking him. Only way I see Demar going off is if he gets the benefit of the whistle and spends some time at the free throw line (He's had a tough go getting calls as of late).
                Demar has a good competitive nature, I look for him to go out and just play. He had a tough night, but he was still able to put out decent production.

Just cause one guy puts more points on the board compared to the other does not make him a better player by the way. I see George having a solid game as well, not like it hasn't been rare with Demar guarding them..

Comment

RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
                  Demar has a good competitive nature, I look for him to go out and just play. He had a tough night, but he was still able to put out decent production.

Just cause one guy puts more points on the board compared to the other does not make him a better player by the way. I see George having a solid game as well, not like it hasn't been rare with Demar guarding them..
                  Showing emotion and competitive nature are two different things. He might show competitive nature on the offensive side of the ball I'll give you that but I wouldn't call him a competitor. Demar was 6-22 last night 27% shooting so not sure productive would be my word of choice to describe his play last night.

Thanks for the heads up on what makes a player better I never thought of that... Was just surprised with you predicting Demar to go off with a "potential super star" guarding him...

Comment

i think demar will go off today because bargs is out.

Comment

bounty wrote: View Post
                      i think demar will go off today because bargs is out.
                      I think he gets a ton of FG attempts just like last night but cant see more points then attempts. Hope I'm wrong I just think the Pacers wings are excellent defensively and Hibberts length will make it tough for him.

Comment

Loving the game the defense so far.
                        @Chr1st1anL

Comment

.40 Cal Flakes wrote: View Post
                          I wouldn't be opposed but I hope that is not the marquee addition - besides JV and 2012 pick, of course.

Comment

I see Calderon struggling in this. Not enough talent on the floor for him to be effective.
                            @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                              I wouldn't be opposed but I hope that is not the marquee addition - besides JV and 2012 pick, of course.
                              Agreed it wouldn't be a bad thing but also wouldn't be much to get excited about either. Who would you like to see them target in free agency? (realistic options)

Comment

Working...
                              X