April 9- Indiana Pacers - Barbosa Reunion Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
    Just some notes from a professional. Rebounds Per 40 Minutes 11.5.
    http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/playe.../4259/ed-davis
    Except ED doesn't play 40 minutes per game.

Using his career numbers, he'd need to average 35.1 minutes per game just to get 10 rebounds per game. There are only 29 guys in the league who average at least 35 minutes per game.

Then there is the issue of bringing effort and intensity night in and night out over an 82 game season which has been a major concern with him this year.

I don't see ED being one of the 1.55% of NBA players averaging 10 rebounds per game nor do I see him being one of the 6.4% of NBA players averaging 35 minutes or more per game.

My whole point from the beginning has been these are elite numbers being thrown around. If it was easy, more players would be doing it than the 1.55% currently doing so.

Comment

RAPresenting wrote: View Post
      Capable of getting a double double and averaging a double double are completely different things. ...l
      Exactly. It is so easy to get a distorted view because a couple of good games loom large in your memory.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post

Using his career numbers, he'd need to average 35.1 minutes per game just to get 10 rebounds per game. There are only 29 guys in the league who average at least 35 minutes per game.

Then there is the issue of bringing effort and intensity night in and night out over an 82 game season which has been a major concern with him this year.

I don't see ED being one of the 1.55% of NBA players averaging 10 rebounds per game nor do I see him being one of the 6.4% of NBA players averaging 35 minutes or more per game.

My whole point from the beginning has been these are elite numbers being thrown around. If it was easy, more players would be doing it than the 1.55% currently doing so.
        I didn't say it was easy. All im saying that its not out of the question. I just don't like writing off a player whose only played 123 games so far in his career. Saying that he'll never be capable of something.
        @Chr1st1anL

Comment

FoxMachine wrote: View Post
          i would be pissed if we got rid of amir and kept ed.. i just dont see ed being as good or good at affecting games the way amir does.. i dont see ed having a high ceiling.. but if we keep him, i hope im wrong
          give ed 30 minutes and he can put up a double double in his sleep. Ed is very talented and has a much higher ceiling than Amir, Amir is a great player but he barely manages to put up decent numbers and he has been in the nba like 6 seasons. Ed imo has a chance to be like Antonio davis if he adds a bit of muscle and develops a jump shot. My pick is Amir he should be the one to go

Comment

If we want to win we can't hang to 2 similar players like Amir and Ed. Ed arguably has the higher ceiling and who knows what he can do with a full summer with the coaches and some added muscle in the off season.

Comment

I think we keep Ed, b/c we are going to feel mighty stupid if he comes back next year with more bulk, and one more post move,and a solid jumper, Amir show's flashes but I think Ed has the potential to be a starter while amir's ceiling is an energy guy.

Amir has made an impact in like 1 out of every 3 games this year, get rid of him and while I don't think his contract is toxic the raptors could probably do without.
              Last edited by akashsingh; Mon Apr 9, 2012, 11:18 PM.

Comment

i disagree with the past few posts.. i just dont know what u guys are seeing.. also i think u are underestimating amirs impact on most games this year even if you dont see it in the boxscore.. he has a motor that ed simply doesnt have and doesnt seem to want to work for.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post

Ed is a solid defensive 4 off the bench. A ceiling higher than that (ie. better offense) is a bonus. His offense is too limited for my liking right now but I want to hold on to him rather than Amir who is better. There are going to be days when Ed comes in and puts up a double-double. Other days he will hold his post and grab some rebounds. I'm sure a lot of teams appreciates a good cheap defender like him.

Does 1.55% include players in the borderline? lets say averaging 8-10 points/boards/game instead of a double/double.
                  Kevin garnett 15.4PPG 8.5 RPG
                  Duncan 15PPG 9.2 RPG
                  Ilyasova 12.9 PPG 8.9 RPG
                  Mcgee 11.3 PPG 8.3 RPG
                  Ryan Anderson 16.1 PPG 7.5 RPG
                  Serge Ibaka 8.9 PPG 7.7 RPG

you see where i am going with this. If 1.55% doesn't include borderline the number of players who actually fall into this category could be much higher. I would consider Duncan a solid double-double guy. If you assume each franchise has AT THE VERY LEAST 1-2 such players then that is 6.25 - 12.5%

Comment

draftedraptor wrote: View Post
                    Ed is a solid defensive 4 off the bench. A ceiling higher than that (ie. better offense) is a bonus. His offense is too limited for my liking right now but I want to hold on to him rather than Amir who is better. There are going to be days when Ed comes in and puts up a double-double. Other days he will hold his post and grab some rebounds. I'm sure a lot of teams appreciates a good cheap defender like him.

Does 1.55% include players in the borderline? lets say averaging 8-10 points/boards/game instead of a double/double.
                    Kevin garnett 15.4PPG 8.5 RPG
                    Duncan 15PPG 9.2 RPG
                    Ilyasova 12.9 PPG 8.9 RPG
                    Mcgee 11.3 PPG 8.3 RPG
                    Ryan Anderson 16.1 PPG 7.5 RPG
                    Serge Ibaka 8.9 PPG 7.7 RPG

you see where i am going with this. If 1.55% doesn't include borderline the number of players who actually fall into this category could be much higher. I would consider Duncan a solid double-double guy. If you assume each franchise has AT THE VERY LEAST 1-2 such players then that is 6.25 - 12.5%
                    But each franchise does not have 1-2 such players. That is kind of the point.

The original comment was 10-10. I've merely pointed out how rare it is. Stray off to which ever direction you choose to make the situation fit your view.

Comment

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                      I didn't say it was easy. All im saying that its not out of the question. I just don't like writing off a player whose only played 123 games so far in his career. Saying that he'll never be capable of something.
                      There are many things not out of the question. However the probabilities are stacked highly against it.

I think we've come back to agree to disagree and I'm cool with that.

Comment

i disagree with the past few posts.. i just dont know what u guys are seeing.. also i think u are underestimating amirs impact on most games this year even if you dont see it in the boxscore.. he has a motor that ed simply doesnt have and doesnt seem to want to work for.
                        The hardest thing for fans to do is be objective with one of their favourite players. I know I'm in the same boat.

Comment

not really, i think your opinion is simply because you like amir better. Don't get me wrong i love amir but we have to get rid of one of them and Ed just seems like the better player moving forward. Think a left-handed Taj Gibson

Comment

In terms of hitting the ground running we'll want Amir Johnson. Just because he's an energy player and can impact a game in less that 10 minutes. Has a nose for the ball, great shot-blocking ability, runs the floor as well as any big man, and his jump-shot (slower than a damn turtle) is actually fairly solid.

Ed Davis will be a better potential player for sure, he is a guy that MAY be able to give you 10-8 a night, but I've got to go with a guy that I know what he can do for me. I don't have to worry about him getting the ball, and knowing he'll give it to you each and every night. Amir will give you something whether it's defense, offense, rebounding, etc.

I think the whole NBA has fallen into loving potential EVEN when it doesn't pan out. But when you have two similar players and one is no where near the other in terms of playing their style, one has to go IF we had to choose.
                            ^ This is a different story to Demar Derozan and my love for his potential. Just because there isn't another player on the wing that is the talent Demar is.

Ed Davis and Amir Johnson will both get us players that are worth something, but I believe trading Ed will be a better trade chip only because of his cheap contract, and his potential.
                            Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                              not really, i think your opinion is simply because you like amir better. Don't get me wrong i love amir but we have to get rid of one of them and Ed just seems like the better player moving forward. Think a left-handed Taj Gibson
                              i dont know amir johnson so i dont know if i like him.. id rather keep him on this team because he plays better and plays consistently.. if uve watched every game this season and dont see how amir affects alotta games then we are paying attention to different things.. amir johnson does things to win games.. he arguably has the most hustle on this team.. he battles, ed is complacent.. im not an "amir fan" im a raptors fan, and i want the players that will help us win.. sure ed has "potential" but i just dont see him getting the numbers u want to see out of him seeing how uncoordinated he is on offence.. good game last night, alotta garbage points and being in the right place at the right time.. that happens to everybody every now and then.. anyway.. its just my opinion but if we lose one of them, it has to be Ed.

RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
                              In terms of hitting the ground running we'll want Amir Johnson. Just because he's an energy player and can impact a game in less that 10 minutes. Has a nose for the ball, great shot-blocking ability, runs the floor as well as any big man, and his jump-shot (slower than a damn turtle) is actually fairly solid.

Ed Davis will be a better potential player for sure, he is a guy that MAY be able to give you 10-8 a night, but I've got to go with a guy that I know what he can do for me. I don't have to worry about him getting the ball, and knowing he'll give it to you each and every night. Amir will give you something whether it's defense, offense, rebounding, etc.

I think the whole NBA has fallen into loving potential EVEN when it doesn't pan out. But when you have two similar players and one is no where near the other in terms of playing their style, one has to go IF we had to choose.
                              ^ This is a different story to Demar Derozan and my love for his potential. Just because there isn't another player on the wing that is the talent Demar is.

Ed Davis and Amir Johnson will both get us players that are worth something, but I believe trading Ed will be a better trade chip only because of his cheap contract, and his potential.
                              100% agree

Comment

Amir is anything but consistent he was on a huge slump the last string of games. Also Ed averages similar numbers in less time, he averages 7 points, 7 rebounds and a block the past 2 seasons combined. Amir averages 6ppg,5 rpg and 1 block and he hasn't really improved much. Amir was a scrub in Detroit until we traded for him and gave him an opportunity, Ed in just 2 years is already putting up better numbers. Ed has "hustle" and "energy" he has also made some great plays this year and IMO he's better for us moving forward. He's also much more agile in the post and he has longer arms, Amir is robotic in the post and he is playing out of position here.

Comment

Working...
                                X