Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Kleiza: moving forward

Post Thanks / Like

Default Kleiza: moving forward

Is anyone else underwhelmed with Kleiza? He's been wildly inconsistent, with fewer good games than bad it seems. His 3pt shooting is actually atrocious.

The only problem is he has those games where he just explodes and makes you question everything. He's like a whiny girlfriend with a insane rack you don't know who to part with.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm on the fence. I don't care if he stays or goes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    Is anyone else underwhelmed with Kleiza? He's been wildly inconsistent, with fewer good games than bad it seems. His 3pt shooting is actually atrocious.
    I'm underwhelmed with every single player on the roster. I couldn't care less whether Kleiza is back. If he stays, he's a body off the bench. If he goes, you can replace his production rather easily. The only caveat is that it might make sense to have him here as a comfort blanket for Valanciunas next season with the language/communication issues, new culture, etc.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The only problem is he has those games where he just explodes and makes you question everything. He's like a whiny girlfriend with a insane rack you don't know who to part with.
    Those games that he just explodes and makes you question everything is the epitome of a solid bench player. He is not a starter. I have no problem keeping him as a reserve - like 8/9th guy. He is fearless and a prick and the Raptors need players like that.

The only thing I could look from him is more consistency. But given his return from major injury and the nature of this season due to lockout, I give him a pass.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Those games that he just explodes and makes you question everything is the epitome of a solid bench player. He is not a starter. I have no problem keeping him as a reserve - like 8/9th guy. He is fearless and a prick and the Raptors need players like that.

The only thing I could look from him is more consistency. But given his return from major injury and the nature of this season due to lockout, I give him a pass.
    I also like him as a bench player. I like his toughness. He will probably help JV get adjusted to the NBA too.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't care if he goes, but I don't care if he stays either. It can be a help for Jonas Valanciunas coming in.

He is a guy that pisses you off, good confidence, I like his skill-set. I don't really mind his inconsistency because his injury, after a year of not playing. So I'm gonna cut him some slack. At least he comes up big at times, he's a good role player.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post

That's honestly what I see in Kleiza. He's a total dick, and I love it. We don't have enough of it from our heavy minute players.

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

You just described everyone on the roster...
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    You just described everyone on the roster...
    Actually it doesn't include Jose, Aaron Gray, and James Johnson.

Post Thanks / Like

Actually his 3 point shooting is not bad. He is shooting over 34% on the season with over 150 attempts. Do I think he takes to many, yes, but I also think that his % would go up a few more points with better shot selection. Of all the players that qualify as forwards, Linas is the 28th best 3 point shooter. Let the team and Linas figure out his role and he is a valuable player for us going forward. He is not a saviour, but a quality depth guy that we need.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

I just have a hard time imagining a situation where the team moves him. His contract is too big to make him a valuable trade asset, but not big enough to be a huge albatross at this point. The team is still relatively shallow at SF (no guarantee they'll fix this through the draft). There's the JV connection. I like him as a veteran influence. Love how he gets under people's skin. He seems, from what I can tell, happy with his role with the team. And every now and then, he plays an insane game. Like Matt says, he needs more consistency, but even as is, he's the sort of guy you can put in for a few minutes, see if he's on, and if not, yank him out.

This is really getting ahead of myself, but this is something that can have a huge impact in a playoff series: a guy who can come in off the bench, get hot for a game or two, and really piss off every guy on the opposing team. Over a five or six games, the effect of those head-games that Kleiza seems to be good at are magnified.

Post Thanks / Like

They can always amnesty him if they really wanted rid of him. Bargnani will never be amnestied. Calderon would make no sense to amnesty. If they were ever going to use it Kleiza could be a candidate if they need to make quick space.

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    They can always amnesty him if they really wanted rid of him. Bargnani will never be amnestied. Calderon would make no sense to amnesty. If they were ever going to use it Kleiza could be a candidate if they need to make quick space.
    The only way Calderon is amnestied is if Colangelo fancies a specific player this summer, who otherwise wouldn't fit (in terms of salary cap)
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Depends on whom you replace him with. After Bargnani, DeRozan and Calderon, LK is the best scorer on the current roster and can go inside or out to get points. Until Bayless gets back he's the only guy you can throw the ball to in the second unit to score. Generally he has a size advantage against opposing SF's which is why his back down move into a jump floater/hook is relatively successful.

Not sure what else is available in his price range but wouldn't mind seeing him back for another season.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Mediumcore wrote: View Post
    Depends on whom you replace him with. After Bargnani, DeRozan and Calderon, LK is the best scorer on the current roster and can go inside or out to get points. Until Bayless gets back he's the only guy you can throw the ball to in the second unit to score. Generally he has a size advantage against opposing SF's which is why his back down move into a jump floater/hook is relatively successful.

Not sure what else is available in his price range but wouldn't mind seeing him back for another season.
    We need to keep in mind the JV and a top ten lotto pick are both on the way. There are lots of strong scorers in this draft. Also if they amnestied Kleiza maybe the guy inbound is a good scorer?

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

I think we definitely keep him. I mean come on guys, he's coming back from pretty much a career ending injury and without any proper physical preparation into the middle of this lock-out compressed season!!! You know the normal NBA season schedule is insane, but what players go through this year I can't even imagine... and you know it if you ever played at least semi-professional sports in your life. I mean 2 games a week is already difficult in a long run when you play 25 + minutes a game (with all the practice and training during the week), but playing 4-5 games a week on NBA level while back from an injury with no preparation?? What can you expect from a guy?

Inconsistency is expected in that case. I think under the circumstances he's doing very well. With a full preparation before next season, he should be able to put up some nice and consistent numbers.

Also there is that JV factor, which was mentioned by many others.

Post Thanks / Like

Kleiza with a training camp a summer to heal after playing, and a regular season that is back to normal will be our starting small forward next season and Average 16pts and 6 boards a game in 33 - 35 minutes. You can take that to the bank.

Post Thanks / Like

How is he getting 33-35 minutes next season? That's around 10MPG more than Amir Johnson is getting this season. What about JJ and the 2012 lotto selection(most likely a wing)?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote thead wrote: View Post
    Kleiza with a training camp a summer to heal after playing, and a regular season that is back to normal will be our starting small forward next season and Average 16pts and 6 boards a game in 33 - 35 minutes. You can take that to the bank.

... and have the receptionist piss her pants laughing at you.
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Raptors Republic Starter Papa Burgundy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I say keep him ... He hasn't been fully healthy for long, since that insane run with Lithuania where he led them to bronze.

Not interested in having him as the stating SF, but he is a great bench option at both forward positions - and sure, he would also be great for Jonas ... but you can't have a roster position dedicated to all the young players to make them comfortable, european or not.

The goal is winning, and if trading or amnestying Kleiza makes us that much better - i'm all for it ... but I see him staying, and acting as a nice wing addition off the bench.
    The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Thread Information