No announcement yet.

Kleiza: moving forward

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree 100%. I think the main point is finding a regular offensive role. At the same time, he would fetch some value for us in the short term

Comment

You guys talk about keeping him as if it's a choice. We're talking about a guy who rarely starts on a lottery bound team, earning $5M per for the next two years. A guy who has career highs of 11 points and 4 rebounds, and that was before tearing up his knee.
      your pal,
      ebrian

Comment

Perhaps you meant "Career averages"

I like Kleiza as bench player too - for the right pieces trade him. But I don't see such trade opportunity coming. I am completely against using the amnesty on him. I just don't think it makes much sense.
        Last edited by footarez; Wed Apr 11, 2012, 04:06 PM.

Comment

I don't mind Kleiza.. He's getting paid less than the MLE, which means he gets paid less than an average NBA'er would. He's fine with his bench role, and gives us an extra level of toughness. Plus he only has two more years on his contract (after this year), where his last year is a player option.

He's not a starter in my books, but he's not being paid like one either. Could we do better? Sure, but we have far more pressing needs than trying to figure out if we should keep Kleiza around for another year or not.

Kleiza is still young (only 27 years) and with a reasonable salary would be very easy to move in a trade. Definitely don't need to amnesty, and I'd only use him as a trade chip if we got someone better in the long term.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
            Those games that he just explodes and makes you question everything is the epitome of a solid bench player. He is not a starter. I have no problem keeping him as a reserve - like 8/9th guy. He is fearless and a prick and the Raptors need players like that.

The only thing I could look from him is more consistency. But given his return from major injury and the nature of this season due to lockout, I give him a pass.
            Amen. Its funny to me that some guys want to amnesty or trade Kleiza in the hopes of landing a "better" player. You cant really stack your team with superstars or even borderline superstars, unless youre miami or boston or the team is willing to go ten times over the cap. Kleiza is a serviceable player. He does the nitty gritty things but yes, he has to be consistent. As long as he knows where he stands, i would love to have him on the 2nd group.

Comment

Just wanted to say that initially I was certain they'd keep him no matter what as long as JV was coming because they are fellow countrymen. Then I thought "just because my cousin is gay and my friend is gay too, doesn't mean it automatic they should get together.". Or whatever analogy you want to use. Who says Kleiza wants someone else to be the best Lith player on the team? With JV, this years first rounder, 1 to 2 quality free agents coming in and hopefully Nicholson or Jae Crowder in the second round, Kleiza is quickly falling farther down in the bench rotation. Not that I think his isn't good or his price tag is too high for what he is capable of bringing but he might make a lot less sense after the draft and July first. Just because he is Lith doesn't guarantee he is here next season.
              Just my 2 cents.

Comment

Thornbury wrote: View Post
                Just wanted to say that initially I was certain they'd keep him no matter what as long as JV was coming because they are fellow countrymen. Then I thought "just because my cousin is gay and my friend is gay too, doesn't mean it automatic they should get together.". Or whatever analogy you want to use. Who says Kleiza wants someone else to be the best Lith player on the team? With JV, this years first rounder, 1 to 2 quality free agents coming in and hopefully Nicholson or Jae Crowder in the second round, Kleiza is quickly falling farther down in the bench rotation. Not that I think his isn't good or his price tag is too high for what he is capable of bringing but he might make a lot less sense after the draft and July first. Just because he is Lith doesn't guarantee he is here next season.
                Just my 2 cents.

if your cousin just found out he was gay and needed a gay mentor to show him the ropes maybe someone you trusted like your friend would be a good partner for him.

Comment

So we all agree we should dump Kleiza and hire either Thornbury's gay cousin or friend for JV

Comment

saints91 wrote: View Post
                    So we all agree we should dump Kleiza and hire either Thornbury's gay cousin or friend for JV
                    hahahaha made me laugh. this one was funny

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
                      Raise your hand if you have come back from catastrophic knee surgery and than played at an NBA level after 8 months.

Kleiza has a fire in him. I would like to see him a full season and a summer removed from surgery with starter's minutes.
                      He plays with an attitude he seems to love playing in clutch moments, and his ability to post up smaller people and pull out the bigger ones is crucial in an offense where DeMar can't do that
                      that's kind of hard to do seeing as there's no way you could see me raising my hand.
                      If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Synergy stats:

Both James Johnson and Linas Kleiza score 0,89 points per possession.

On defense Johnson allows 0,92 points per possession, Kleiza allows 0,75 points per possession (on 29,7% scoring).

Surprised me.

Comment

Soft Euro wrote: View Post
                          Synergy stats:

Both James Johnson and Linas Kleiza score 0,89 points per possession.

On defense Johnson allows 0,92 points per possession, Kleiza allows 0,75 points per possession (on 29,7% scoring).

Surprised me.
                          Wow, that surprised me too.

I looked at 82games.com (numbers through April 1st) to see OppPER and on/off point differentials:

player/OppPER/on,off

JJ/13.4/-4.0,-3.8
                          LK/13.6/-0.6,-5.5

This has shocked me. I am shaken. It feels like everything I thought I knew was a total lie.

Comment

Wow, we had this debate pre-season and again I was one of the only ones defending him. His shooting attrocious? Not, in the least just wildly inconsistent.

At 4.5 million per season and an 8/9 depth player on this team, is there an 8/9 depth player anywhere else in this league that you'd rather have? He brings toughness, scoring and versatility is there anything else you want in a depth player?

Amir and Kleiza are solid second unit players and are playing like solid second unit players. Our problem is our starters.
                            -"You can’t run from me. I mean, my heart don’t bleed Kool-Aid."
                            -"“I ain’t no diva! I don’t have no blond hair, red hair. I’m Reggie Evans.”

Comment

Raptorsss wrote: View Post
                              Wow, we had this debate pre-season and again I was one of the only ones defending him. His shooting attrocious? Not, in the least just wildly inconsistent.

At 4.5 million per season and an 8/9 depth player on this team, is there an 8/9 depth player anywhere else in this league that you'd rather have? He brings toughness, scoring and versatility is there anything else you want in a depth player?

Amir and Kleiza are solid second unit players and are playing like solid second unit players. Our problem is our starters.
                              For the record, I've always been a Kleiza fan.

I was just surprised his defense - at least statistically - was anywhere on par with JJ. I guess it goes to show how the highlight blocks can heavily influence perception.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                                For the record, I've always been a Kleiza fan.

I was just surprised his defense - at least statistically - was anywhere on par with JJ. I guess it goes to show how the highlight blocks can heavily influence perception.
                                I was in the "team passing him by during his injury" group. have enjoyed his good games this year and agree with what you said earlier that a player who on some nights can come in and score like he can is the kind of bench players we should be looking for. A few steady, know what your getting every night and then 2 players like lk who if one is on you ride him off the bench and if it's the other you ride him.

Comment

Working...
                                X