Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Are we really Rebuilding?

Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote BallaBalla wrote: View Post
    ...He has shown too much potential for everyone to write him off or not give him the same leash which demar is given.
    Here is where we disagree. Einstein said, "Nothing happens until something moves." That means potential means crap unless there is action. Davis hasn't shown a proclivity for taking action on his own yet. Every high achiever does.

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Puffer wrote: View Post
    Here is where we disagree. Einstein said, "Nothing happens until something moves." That means potential means crap unless there is action. Davis hasn't shown a proclivity for taking action on his own yet. Every high achiever does.
    He's pulling down double digit boards and playing great defense he is playing very well

Raptors Republic Starter Raptorsss's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

So, your comparing Ed Davis NBA career to an inanimate object? Nice, as noprops said double-double's aren't something to dismiss or compare to a rock that never moves.
    -"You canít run from me. I mean, my heart donít bleed Kool-Aid."
    -"ďI ainít no diva! I donít have no blond hair, red hair. Iím Reggie Evans.Ē

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    He's pulling down double digit boards and playing great defense he is playing very well
    But you can't generalize like that and say that He has to be acting a certain way now because thats what successful people do. Sometimes it takes something for a person to click and realize the things that he needs to do be successful. Davis is just trying to do what has made him successful in college and seeing if it will translate.
    Once he gets some more experience, and a consistent role with the team, he will be a great player.

Mark my words, if we lump him in with all the other crap players we have had and ship him off we will regret it.

Post Thanks / Like

But you can't generalize like that and say that He has to be acting a certain way now because thats what successful people do. Sometimes it takes something for a person to click and realize the things that he needs to do be successful....
    Actually I CAN generalize like that. The simplest way to be successful is to model success i.e. find others that have been successful and follow their example. One characteristic of almost all long term, successful NBA players has been to put in the work during the off-season, and to work on weak parts of their games. I absolutely agree that "Sometimes it takes something for a person to click and realize the things that he needs to do be successful." so far it doesn't seem to have happened for Ed. I'm not saying it won't, I'm saying that so far it hasn't.

He has talent. He has potential. The last few games have shown that. But his career so far has shown that he doesn't put in the work, and if he doesn't get his minutes he tends to let his effort level drop. I don't want players like that on any team I am a fan of. I want guys who are willing to put in some consistent effort for their multi-million dollar payrolls.

I worked in a corporate and unionised world where people thought they should get promotions or opportunities because they had "put in the time" as opposed to going out on their own time, learning skills and then demonstrating they could actually DO the job they wanted to be hired for. To me, Davis is like that guy. Full of entitlement. "I played hard three games in a row Coach. Why'd you pull my ass just because I coasted in the second quarter?" or "I've got a nice little hook from six feet out. Why should I work on my foul shot?"

I really hope he gets it. I hope he gets it while a member of the Raptors. But if he doesn't understand yet, with all the trainers, coaches, veteran players around him that he has now. And all the examples of NBA "could have beens" that flame out every year. And three D-Leaguers right under his nose, including a guy who spent 7 years in the equivalent of Basketball purgatory, then I wonder if he really will. I hope I am wrong about him. Maybe he's worth another season. But maybe it's time to move on.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Actually I CAN generalize like that. The simplest way to be successful is to model success i.e. find others that have been successful and follow their example. One characteristic of almost all long term, successful NBA players has been to put in the work during the off-season, and to work on weak parts of their games. I absolutely agree that "Sometimes it takes something for a person to click and realize the things that he needs to do be successful." so far it doesn't seem to have happened for Ed. I'm not saying it won't, I'm saying that so far it hasn't.

He has talent. He has potential. The last few games have shown that. But his career so far has shown that he doesn't put in the work, and if he doesn't get his minutes he tends to let his effort level drop. I don't want players like that on any team I am a fan of. I want guys who are willing to put in some consistent effort for their multi-million dollar payrolls.

I worked in a corporate and unionised world where people thought they should get promotions or opportunities because they had "put in the time" as opposed to going out on their own time, learning skills and then demonstrating they could actually DO the job they wanted to be hired for. To me, Davis is like that guy. Full of entitlement. "I played hard three games in a row Coach. Why'd you pull my ass just because I coasted in the second quarter?" or "I've got a nice little hook from six feet out. Why should I work on my foul shot?"

I really hope he gets it. I hope he gets it while a member of the Raptors. But if he doesn't understand yet, with all the trainers, coaches, veteran players around him that he has now. And all the examples of NBA "could have beens" that flame out every year. And three D-Leaguers right under his nose, including a guy who spent 7 years in the equivalent of Basketball purgatory, then I wonder if he really will. I hope I am wrong about him. Maybe he's worth another season. But maybe it's time to move on.

That brings up an interesting question (well, at least to me):

Do you think Colangelo was crafty enough to bring in a 29 year old, many seasons removed from NBA veteran to give the young guys a perspective on what could happen or will happen if they don't put the work in or as an insight in to how easy it is to be in or out of the league as a fringe NBA player?

It most likely wasn't the intent but I'm sure having those guys around would offer a unique perspective to guys like DeRozan, JJ, Davis, and Bayless - if they took the time to listen to their experiences that is.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    That brings up an interesting question (well, at least to me):

Do you think Colangelo was crafty enough to bring in a 29 year old, many seasons removed from NBA veteran to give the young guys a perspective on what could happen or will happen if they don't put the work in or as an insight in to how easy it is to be in or out of the league as a fringe NBA player?

It most likely wasn't the intent but I'm sure having those guys around would offer a unique perspective to guys like DeRozan, JJ, Davis, and Bayless - if they took the time to listen to their experiences that is.
    Might be giving BC too much credit, but there is no denying that the lesson is there to be learned, if the young fella's are open to learning.

Post Thanks / Like

should bring in jyd's brother.

some asshole broke his leg during a high school game, when scouts were there...now he's a motivational speaker.
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Raptors Republic Starter draftedraptor's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Might be giving BC too much credit, but there is no denying that the lesson is there to be learned, if the young fella's are open to learning.
    +1

BC brought in useless veterans like Carter and Rasual Butler. The D-leaguers were merely replacements. They have filled in admirably and brought in good attitude and work ethic with them. The lesson is very much there to be learned for someone with more brains than JJ. If anything BC was at fault in the first place to bring in garbage players who didnt show up and were unfit for a NBA team. No wonder JJ thinks he is worthy of a starting spot. Thank god we have a strong coach who is not afraid to take tough decisions if he thinks its the right one.

Not giving up on Ed Davis yet. I don't think his problem is a sense of entitlement.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

No doubt. It was something that came to mind reading your post. I think many young NBA players think the good times will never end. For example, do you think last year Julian Wright thought he would be out of the league this year?

Post Thanks / Like

But you can't generalize like that and say that He has to be acting a certain way now because thats what successful people do. Sometimes it takes something for a person to click and realize the things that he needs to do be successful. Davis is just trying to do what has made him successful in college and seeing if it will translate.
    Once he gets some more experience, and a consistent role with the team, he will be a great player.

Mark my words, if we lump him in with all the other crap players we have had and ship him off we will regret it.
    I know, i'm really high of Davis. I think he can be a solid starter and an above average bench player, that's why i always compare him to Antonio Davis. That is his ceiling imo which is actually really good

Post Thanks / Like

I know, i'm really high of Davis. I think he can be a solid starter and an above average bench player, that's why i always compare him to Antonio Davis. That is his ceiling imo which is actually really good
    I would agree with you. But if you remember, Antonio brought it every night, no matter what. And, like Amir, he was constantly up against bigger centers almost every night. There don\t seem to be those big beefy centers starting for teams anymore.

Ed Davis could get to Antonio's level, but he would have to decide to work. That is pretty much my point.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    ...do you think last year Julian Wright thought he would be out of the league this year?
    There are a number of players in this league who should type that out in 72pt type and then print it and tape it to their bathroom mirror.

Post Thanks / Like

Why the hell is Davis on the team, If Bargnaniis going to be the starting pf from here on out?

Should have been moved already i'd be dumbfounded if he were not traded this offseason.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote LBF wrote: View Post
    Why the hell is Davis on the team, If Bargnaniis going to be the starting pf from here on out?

Should have been moved already i'd be dumbfounded if he were not traded this offseason.
    Who said Davis should be a starter?

Post Thanks / Like

+1

Post Thanks / Like

While he was drafted to be the future starting PF.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote LBF wrote: View Post
    While he was drafted to be the future starting PF.
    Again who said that?

Post Thanks / Like

Again who said that?
    Bryan Colangelo.

You really think we drafted him 13th overall to be a bench player? C'mon now.

Post Thanks / Like

I remember hearing Ed Davis being a steal in the draft, but nothing more than that.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information