Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• April 11 - Philadelphia 76ers

ESPN Preview:

Clinging to one of the last playoff spots in the Eastern Conference, the Philadelphia 76ers are desperately trying to string together some victories.

They look to win consecutive games for the first time in a month when they visit the Toronto Raptors on Wednesday night.

Philadelphia (30-27) earned its first April win and snapped a four-game losing streak Tuesday with a 107-88 victory at New Jersey. Lou Williams had 20 points while fellow reserves Thaddeus Young and Spencer Hawes each scored 19 as the 76ers also ended a four-game road skid, officially eliminating the Nets from the playoff race.

The 76ers, 5-10 since a three-game winning streak March 7-11, are in the mix with New York and Milwaukee for the final two playoff spots in the East. Though Philadelphia is currently in seventh place, it has not recently resembled the club that led the Atlantic Division for a good portion of the season.

With a visit to Toronto (20-38) and another date with the Nets this week, the 76ers have a good opportunity to regain some momentum.

Williams, Young and Hawes, who each grabbed eight boards Tuesday to help the 76ers outrebound New Jersey 53-36, paced a Philadelphia bench that scored a season-high 62 points. It marked the first time in Hawes' 28 games this season that the 7-foot-1 center came off the bench.

"(Coach Doug Collins) told me before shootaround and obviously I wasn't happy," Hawes said about not starting. "I think anybody playing the game, you get news like that and you're not happy. There are two ways to go. You can sit there and sulk about it, or be a man, swallow it and then try to make the most of it."

Hawes, who totaled nine points in the previous two games, could be in the same role Wednesday as the 76ers try to win their second straight at Toronto.

The teams split the first two meetings this season, both in Philadelphia. After the 76ers held the Raptors to season lows for field-goal percentage (31.8) and points in a 97-62 win Jan. 7, Toronto snapped a three-game skid in the series with a 99-78 victory last Wednesday. Andrea Bargnani scored 24 points as the Raptors shot 50.6 percent overall and outscored Philadelphia 20-7 in the fourth quarter.

"It was just an excellent team effort. Guys stayed together," Raptors coach Dwane Casey said.

Bargnani has totaled 45 points and 16 rebounds versus Philadelphia this season, but he could miss a second straight game with calf tightness.

Toronto has averaged 84.3 points while losing three straight since beating the 76ers, but it nearly erased a 15-point deficit while scoring 36 points in the fourth quarter of Monday's 103-98 defeat at Indiana.

"I appreciate the guys' effort," Casey said. "The fight was there. It wasn't pretty and again, all we can do is ask for that type of effort."

Linas Kleiza had a team-high 18 points off the bench as the Raptors fell short despite shooting 48.0 percent.

DeMar DeRozan was held to 10 points at Indiana, but finished with 18 at Philadelphia last week. He had 29 points in the Raptors' 107-94 loss in the teams' most recent meeting in Toronto on Jan. 26, 2011.
    Big game for Philly in terms of the playoffs. I'd like to see Milwaukee get in over them.... but I'd like to see both Milwaukee and Philly get in the playoffs over NY.

Bargnani won't play.

Toronto Raptors forward Andrea Bargnani will not play Wednesday night against the Philadelphia 76ers because of a left calf strain, the team announced.Bargnani will undergo tests tomorrow for the nagging injury.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/raptors-f-...esday-vs-76ers
    Expect Bargnani to be shut down for the year tomorrow (speculation on my part).

one more for tank nation!!!!

Comment

loss here, kings beat the hornets and we're back in 4th place in the power tankings!! #MKG

Comment

Sixers are in as big a funk as anybody, raps will probably win.
        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

I want philly to make the playoffs and the bucks too. Fuck New York!

Comment

Jack mentioned last game that TSN wouldn't be covering anymore games this season...

Does that mean Leo instead of Jack? In that case, I'm watching the rest of the games from the other team's station.
            TORONTOOOOOO RAPTORSSSSSS

Comment

bounty wrote: View Post
              one more for tank nation!!!!
              With this intense competition to lose as many games as possible, it's an interesting footnote that David Thorpe's rookie rankings has the top five rookies ranked as follows:

1. K Irving, drafted number one overall
              2. K. Farried, drafted number 22
              3. C. Parsons, drafted number 38
              4. K. Leonard, drafted number 15
              5. I. Thomas, drafted dead last at 60.

Though technically not a rookie, this is this first season undrafted Jeremy Lin was given the opportunity to log significant minutes. There are 5 players of note not taken low in the lottery, out performing the first 14 picks (except Irving, of course). Tanking doesn't necessarily work as intended.
              Last edited by stretch; Wed Apr 11, 2012, 07:51 PM.

Comment

Ed is a superb rebounder! He has such great timing and always gets good position
                @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Ed proving the doubters wrong. 2 ORPG in 20 minutes to Amir's 2.4 ORPG in 25 MPG.

Comment

stretch wrote: View Post
                    With this intense competition to lose as many games as possible, it's an interesting footnote that David Thorpe's rookie rankings has the top five rookies ranked as follows:

1. K Irving, drafted number one overall
                    2. K. Farried, drafted number 22
                    3. C. Parsons, drafted number 38
                    4. K. Leonard, drafted number 15
                    5. I. Thomas, drafted dead last at 60.

Though technically not a rookie, this is this first season undrafted Jeremy Lin was given the opportunity to log significant minutes. There are 5 players of note not taken low in the lottery, out performing the first 14 picks (except Irving, of course). Tanking doesn't necessarily work as intended.
                    Bring this post up again in 3 years
                    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Calderon hurt in the eye again and Kleiza not returning? The tank is going full speed...
                      TORONTOOOOOO RAPTORSSSSSS

Comment

Alan anderson - give the man a contract.

Comment

justin dentmon aint that bad. Better than uzoh IMO and he actually knows how to shoot sort of. Alan Anderson should be signed as a 3rd string SF for next season he deserves it.

Comment

It seem like Ed has an account on this forum. Seem like he had something to prove in the first half.
                            @Chr1st1anL

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                              Bring this post up again in 3 years
                              My thoughts exactly.

I think only Irving will be on the list - and that is with me being very impressed with Farried and Leonard.

Comment

Working...
                              X