Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: ESPN Insider Mock Draft 2.0 - Raptors select Bradley Beal at #5

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote stretch wrote: View Post
    The impression I get is that Colangelo and Casey are under the gun next season to produce positive results (playoffs at the very least), and with JV and a lottery choice this draft coming on board there may not be many minutes for the two second round choices next season. Maybe BC will go with a couple Euros that can wait a couple of seasons to come over.
    Maybe, but how many players will the Raps have under contract? 8, maybe 9?

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/toronto.htm

They can add three young players.

Post Thanks / Like

think DeRozan with about 10-15lbs of muscle could move to the 3?

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote sleepz wrote: View Post
    How about a unpolished young kid with potential in the 2nd round like Trey Burke? Thats who I would target in the 2nd round if he is available.
    Burke's stayin in school at Michigan

Raptors Republic All-Star charlesnba23's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

IMO, if we can draft Barnes at 5, this is a no-brainer. Why pass on a guy that as been predicted in the top 3 by many mock drafts of this year and last? I got the feeling that this guy is going to be something special, plus we really need another SF.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote charlesnba23 wrote: View Post
    IMO, if we can draft Barnes at 5, this is a no-brainer. Why pass on a guy that as been predicted in the top 3 by many mock drafts of this year and last? I got the feeling that this guy is going to be something special, plus we really need another SF.
    So much of the draft is based on potential.

Harrison Barnes did not live up to the hype and potential that many had for him this season after he started so slow last season. He also showed considerable weakness in his game when Marshall went out.

Picking Barnes at 5 with the justification that, "Well last year he was projected to go top 3 the last 2 years" is like trading for a injured centre two years removed from all-star level play thinking he is going to return to form.... wait a second, that sounds familiar. As circumstances change, opinions change.

FWIW, if MKG and Beal are off the board, I could live with his selection.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    besides, i don't see BC keeping both or either second rounder.
    Who knows what BC is thinking he might have a trade up his sleeves with our two 2nd round picks getting us either another 1st round pick or another player that we can use going forward.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    So much of the draft is based on potential.

Harrison Barnes did not live up to the hype and potential that many had for him this season after he started so slow last season. He also showed considerable weakness in his game when Marshall went out.

Picking Barnes at 5 with the justification that, "Well last year he was projected to go top 3 the last 2 years" is like trading for a injured centre two years removed from all-star level play thinking he is going to return to form.... wait a second, that sounds familiar. As circumstances change, opinions change.

FWIW, if MKG and Beal are off the board, I could live with his selection.
    Based on the way the standings are shaping up, the the probabilities inherent in the NBA Lottery system, I would be very happy if the Raptors ended up with Barnes. Getting AD or MKG would make me happier, but they'd need quite a bit of luck to have a chance for either of them, I think.

Raptors Republic All-Star grindhouse's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote planetmars wrote: View Post
    I don't have insider access, but I believe you can just play the lottery mock draft game over at ESPN and get the list that way (using the current standings):

http://espn.go.com/nba/lottery2012/mockdraft

The mock (1-10) looks like:

1) Davis - Charlotte
    2) MKG - Washington
    3) Robinson - NO
    4) Drummond - Sacramento
    5) Beal - Toronto
    6) Barnes - Cleveland
    7) Lillard - Portland
    8) Sullinger - Detroit
    9) Marshall - Utah
    10) Zeller - NO
    if charlotte had bismack and davis! try getting a shot off in the paint.
    i dont like the idea of passing on terrance jones or perry jones.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote sleepz wrote: View Post
    How about a unpolished young kid with potential in the 2nd round like Trey Burke? Thats who I would target in the 2nd round if he is available.
    He is going back to school, so Burke is not an option. He was testing the waters and pulled out.

Raptors Republic Starter Katman's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Arsenalist wrote: View Post

The Raptors have an 8.8 percent chance of winning the lottery.
    Not to be picky, but this is from Mock 3.0. Version 2.0 had us taking Andre Drummond

Raptors Republic Starter Papa Burgundy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    I am sooooo intrigued by the idea of Beal playing point.
    I wouldn't put much stock into that idea. He played between the SG and SF positions in college ... he definitely has a good handle for a SG, but running a team at PG anytime soon would be a stretch. Him knocking Demar into a 6th man role? More likely.
    The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I really like the idea of picking Beal but what do you guys think about the quality of small forwards in free agency this summer? Outside of Wallace and Batum the quality really takes a dip, so you gotta wonder if this draft which is rich with small forwards is the best opportunity for the Raptors to acquire a quality SF and firm up that position going forward AND on the cheap to boot.

Is it better to draft a good SF prospect and go forward with an decent SG like Demar or to draft a really good SG prospect like Beal and go forward with a average to below average SF like JJ/Kleiza?

Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Mediumcore wrote: View Post
    I really like the idea of picking Beal but what do you guys think about the quality of small forwards in free agency this summer? Outside of Wallace and Batum the quality really takes a dip, so you gotta wonder if this draft which is rich with small forwards is the best opportunity for the Raptors to acquire a quality SF and firm up that position going forward AND on the cheap to boot.

Is it better to draft a good SF prospect and go forward with an decent SG like Demar or to draft a really good SG prospect like Beal and go forward with a average to below average SF like JJ/Kleiza?
    I don't think we should be drafting based on need. We should be drafting BPA. We need a SF but if the BPA is Beals and he's a SG we go with it. We can get our SF from a trade. It doesn't have to be a free agent.

If DeMar becomes redundant we can move him for a SF. I don't like the idea of drafting a SF just because we need one.

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think we should be drafting based on need. We should be drafting BPA. We need a SF but if the BPA is Beals and he's a SG we go with it. We can get our SF from a trade. It doesn't have to be a free agent.

If DeMar becomes redundant we can move him for a SF. I don't like the idea of drafting a SF just because we need one.
    +1 (minus the part of moving DeRozan to SF)
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Post Thanks / Like

Quote thead wrote: View Post
    think DeRozan with about 10-15lbs of muscle could move to the 3?
    Yes, Bowens defensive player awards eight seasons in a row at the 3 while weighing 30lbs less than DeRozan's current mass.

To me, I don't care how it jives with DeRozan. Draft the best guy and sort it out later. If DeRozan has to go then unfortunately so be it. I do think they would slide him over to the 3 though.

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    Yes, Bowens defensive player awards eight seasons in a row at the 3 while weighing 30lbs less than DeRozan's current mass.
    Agreed.

Although weight is important, it's not as important as innate defensive instincts (something DeRozan doesn't have). He can gain 40 lbs, and still be a sub-par defender (at either the 2 or 3).
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

So if Thomas Robinson or Andre Drummond are on the board we chose one of them? Both those players are currently projected to go before Beal and yet our NEED is a wing player.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    I wouldn't say you stand corrected - yet. The measurements at the combine are always interesting because agents and players certainly inflate their numbers in the build up.

I've heard other analysts refer to Gordon in talking about Beal.

I think a big issue Beal had playing in Florida was the 3 guard starting line up they rolled with. Walker and Boynton were hardly pass first and they were the senior and junior with Beal being the rook.
    Lol, for Walker and Boynton 'pass' was definitiely not in either of their vocabularies.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Mediumcore wrote: View Post
    So if Thomas Robinson or Andre Drummond are on the board we chose one of them? Both those players are currently projected to go before Beal and yet our NEED is a wing player.
    That depends on what projections you are going by.

There is still a long way to go in the draft process with the combine, individual workouts, and interviews.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote ogitheserb wrote: View Post
    Burke's stayin in school at Michigan
    There goes them plans!

Thread Information