ESPN Insider Mock Draft 2.0 - Raptors select Bradley Beal at #5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Outside of exceptions, I don't think free agency will be where the Raptors make their big splash. I could be wrong but that TPE from Barbosa is useless if the Raptors wait for free agency.

To put it in perspective, in looking at additions to the roster for next season, as things stand now the Raptors have $13.5M to spend ($11M plus $2.5M top up exception) in free agency versus adding up to $18.6M via trades ($11M plus $7.6M) and then another nearly $7M via exceptions ($5M MLE, $1.8M Bi-annual).

So considering free agency usually almost always ends up in over paying for talent (with this year being even a greater risk considering the number of teams with cap room), which would you rather?

$13.5M via straight free agency
    or
    $25.6M via trades and exceptions.

(*Don't forget minimum contracts can be added once a team is above and beyond the salary cap. A lot people have been talking about trading the picks, myself included, but some seniors coming out of the NCAA could be interesting picks in the 2nd round. Seniors aren't necessarily going to step in right away - right, Adam Morrison? - but they would be less of a project and help to cheaply fill out the roster and maybe they get that elusive diamond in the rough).
    And important to note that I believe this exceptions will not exist if no trade/use of TPE happens prior to July 1, so I definitely go for the trade route.

Comment

Maleko wrote: View Post
      And important to note that I believe this exceptions will not exist if no trade/use of TPE happens prior to July 1, so I definitely go for the trade route.
      Overall, +1.

They will still exist but the Raptors will have to renounce them to make use of any space under the salary cap. That $11M figure also assumes renouncing Bayless i.e. letting him walk for possibly nothing.

Comment

A lot people have been talking about trading the picks, myself included, but some seniors coming out of the NCAA could be interesting picks in the 2nd round. Seniors aren't necessarily going to step in right away - right, Adam Morrison? - but they would be less of a project and help to cheaply fill out the roster and maybe they get that elusive diamond in the rough).
        I would have to agree. Although the second round picks could be used as a nice trade asset, a part of me likes the idea of seeing what we could get with them. Whether it be a cheap player with upside to fill out a roster, or someone to hold the rights to for a few years and see what happens (Spurs are masterful at this).

I have brought up this name a few times, but from what I have seen I would love for the Raptors to take a flier on Scott Machod, PG from Iona. A little undersized, but incredibly quick. Was second in the NCAA to Marshall in Assists and Assists/Turnovers. He runs the fast break well and is good on the pic n' roll as well. This combined with increasing his shooting percentages every year (senior this year) to me shows a guy with a good work ethic.

Odds are he would not amount to much, but there is certainly some potential there.
        http://twitter.com/m_shantz

Comment

he is too much like jose and doesn't have the athleticism we need a the PG. He need an athletic PG that can penetrate and defend and also set up teammates.

Comment

You really think he isn't athletic enough to play PG, Beal only has one "glaring" weakness is his somewhat shaky handle, he is known for his shooting and silky smooth athleticism and Beal has no problem finishing around the paint. The idea of having Beal as a PG is not bad at all, he can easily create for his teammates in spurts. However, I think in order to fully utilize Beal's maximum effectiveness putting another shot creating guard with him in the backcourt will allow Beal in some catch and shoot situations, his most effective shooting style. If we do draft Beal and he shows the game we expect I believe we should target players like Tyreke Evans, Evan Turner, Jrue Holiday, Tony Wroten, Iggy.

But what I love about Beal is I believe he can play both guard spots, essentially I believe he is the perfect combo guard. A Beal and Tyreke/Turner has potential to allow Casey to play a very dangerous backcourt.

Comment

er1csh3n wrote: View Post
              You really think he isn't athletic enough to play PG, Beal only has one "glaring" weakness is his somewhat shaky handle, he is known for his shooting and silky smooth athleticism and Beal has no problem finishing around the paint. The idea of having Beal as a PG is not bad at all, he can easily create for his teammates in spurts. However, I think in order to fully utilize Beal's maximum effectiveness putting another shot creating guard with him in the backcourt will allow Beal in some catch and shoot situations, his most effective shooting style. If we do draft Beal and he shows the game we expect I believe we should target players like Tyreke Evans, Evan Turner, Jrue Holiday, Tony Wroten, Iggy.

But what I love about Beal is I believe he can play both guard spots, essentially I believe he is the perfect combo guard. A Beal and Tyreke/Turner has potential to allow Casey to play a very dangerous backcourt.
              A backcourt of Holiday and Beal makes me giggle uncontrollably.

Comment

i don't much like the idea of a back court filled with one on one players, who can create for others, because they tend to use it as a last result. i will point to evans current team, the kings for an example of players who can create for others if they want but end up playing one on one the whole game. with the kings a lot is do to immaturity and selfishness but if we have a very young back court we could be just bringing that problem to our team.

i really want some continuity from year to year to start happening on the raptors soon. i would never jump ship but the past few years we are only ever excited at the beginning to see how all the "new" players on the team will work before we ship them out for another new crop.

i also wouldn't have beal play the 1. never want the term "shaky handle" associated with a pg. i said earlier before he started really becoming the man in phili that i wanted turner because i hoped we could poach him for cheap from a team that wasn't using him at all. would still love him even over holiday and probably most young guards to play the point for us he is a great talent, but again would have to start from the bench behind a player like jose.

Comment

The thing is, the backcourt of Beal and Evans/Turner/Holiday is to create for one another, Beal is unselfish to a fault, Jrue Holiday has shown us to be a defensive passing PG with SG height, Turner was basically a match made in heaven for Beal, and I believe if Casey can get Bargnani to play like he was for his first 13 games, I believe he can turn Evans around.

However this is still just speculation if we even draft Beal. I believe with this draft class, drafting BPA will be our best choice.

Comment

Miekenstien wrote: View Post
                    i don't much like the idea of a back court filled with one on one players, who can create for others, because they tend to use it as a last result. i will point to evans current team, the kings for an example of players who can create for others if they want but end up playing one on one the whole game. with the kings a lot is do to immaturity and selfishness but if we have a very young back court we could be just bringing that problem to our team.

i really want some continuity from year to year to start happening on the raptors soon. i would never jump ship but the past few years we are only ever excited at the beginning to see how all the "new" players on the team will work before we ship them out for another new crop.

i also wouldn't have beal play the 1. never want the term "shaky handle" associated with a pg. i said earlier before he started really becoming the man in phili that i wanted turner because i hoped we could poach him for cheap from a team that wasn't using him at all. would still love him even over holiday and probably most young guards to play the point for us he is a great talent, but again would have to start from the bench behind a player like jose.
                    Westbrook and Holiday were both SG's coming out of university.

With that said, I'm not sure if Beal can play PG though. If I had to pick an answer I'd say no.

Holiday and Beal have shown the ability to create for themselves and others though. Guys weren't hitting shots versus Toronto but Holiday was finding guys in position to score. I was really watching him the entire game when he was on the floor.

Comment

er1csh3n wrote: View Post

i was talking about scott machado

Comment

...I was really watching him the entire game when he was on the floor.
                        Ya. I watched him the last two times the Raps played them, after you brought his name up. I'm on-board with acquiring him. He just looks like a player who will get better every year for the next few.

Comment

Working...
                        X