NBA Olympians want money now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NBA Olympians want money now?

MIAMI -- Count two-time Olympian and Miami Heat guard Dwyane Wade among those who believe NBA players should be paid for playing with Team USA in the London Olympics.

Wade, the leading scorer on the 2008 national team that won a gold medal in China, said he agreed with Boston Celtics guard Ray Allen that players should be compensated for their time participating in the Summer Games. Allen first addressed the issue Tuesday night in an interview with FoxSports.com before the Celtics beat the Heat in Miami.

Allen, 36, is nearing the end of a playing career that included a stint with the national team that won the gold medal during the 2000 Olympics in Sydney. But Wade, 30, remains in a pool of players on Team USA's current roster that will compete at this summer's Olympics.

"It's a lot of things you do for the Olympics -- a lot of jerseys you sell," Wade said after the Heat's practice on Wednesday in advance of Thursday's game against Chicago. "We play the whole summer. I do think guys should be compensated. Just like I think college players should be compensated as well. Unfortunately, it's not there. But I think it should be something, you know, there for it."

Wade said he hasn't thought about how much players should be paid for their time. But he said there is a demanding schedule that comes with a commitment to the national team. This summer, NBA players whose teams advance deep into the playoffs could have only a couple of weeks of down time before the start of Team USA's training camp in late July.

The gold medal game is scheduled for Aug. 12, about a month before many NBA players resume workouts to gear up for training camps that open in late September or early October.

"The biggest thing is now you get no rest," Wade said. "So you go to the end of the season, (Team USA) training camp is two weeks later. You're giving up a lot to do it. It's something you want to do. But it's taxing on your body. You're not playing for the dollar. But it would be nice if you would get compensated."

On Tuesday night, Allen told FoxSports.com that sharing profits from the sale of Olympic game jerseys would be acceptable.

"You talk about the patriotism that guys should want to play for, but you (need to) find a way to entice the guys," Allen was quoted as saying in the interview. "It's not the easiest thing in the world if you play deep in the playoffs and then you get two, three weeks off and then you start training again to play more basketball, where it requires you to be away from home and in another country. It's fun, but your body does need a break."

Wade supported Allen's comments.

"I totally agree," Wade said. "I think (jersey) licensing could be a way ... maybe licensing may not be fair because everybody won't get the same amount. (There) should be some way. But that's something they've got to worry about because this will be my last time around."

Heat players LeBron James and Chris Bosh are also on the Team USA roster for the Summer Games. But neither player would say if they agreed with Wade and Allen regarding player compensation.

"I love representing my country, man," James said. "I've done it since 2004 and I'm looking forward to doing it in London. As far as (pay), I don't know, man. It doesn't matter. I'm happy to be a part of the team, to be selected again."
    __________________________________________________ ______________________________________________

Personally, I say GTFOH!!!!! The Olympics are for AMATUER athletes in the first place, and these guys a multi-millionaire spoiled brats and now they want to be paid for it? Go do what the rest of the athletes there do, training non-stop for 4 years just for a chance to be there and rep their country. They aren't paid squat and they love the opportunity just to compete.

At least D Wades teammate LBJ finally has the right attitude in public saying he's just happy to be a part of the team! Relax and take notes DWade!

Ya I read this and was pretty taken aback.

Good for Lebron though. He got it right. DWade just made himself look really dumb.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
      Ya I read this and was pretty taken aback.

Good for Lebron though. He got it right. DWade just made himself look really dumb.
      And we all thought it was the other way around! I lost a little respect for Wade after reading it... Oh well.

Comment

Wade used to be my favorite player and i slowly started to realize that he is kinda stupid, greedy, and a show off. You already get payed like millions and now you want to get paid to play and represent your country? fuck off. You play for your country and the love of the game, not for money.

Comment

Sorry lost all respect for Wade when he made fun of Dirk in the Finals last year...

Yeah Lebron made the decision, but D-Wade teamed up to get a championship just as much as LBJ and CB4 did...

I do not get why Lebron gets all the hate. I understand some, but it seems like wade rarely is called out for stuff like this.

Good post.

Comment

Just when you think douchery had reached a bottom, Dwayne "I got kids!!!" Wade breaks out the shovel and pickaxe.

Getting paid to represent your country?
            Licensing fees on jerseys?

How fucking important do you have to feel you are to say that shit with a straight face?

I hope his agent called and said, "Shut the fuck up! Do know how hard it is to keep you popular when you are a douchebag? As if those silly glasses weren't ridiculous enough at All-Star weekend, now you pull this shit? If you keep this up the only place carrying your 'brand' will be the discount bin at Dollarama."

Comment

There are plenty of guys the USA can turn to if Wade doesn't want to experience the glory of playing for his country and in all liklihood, getting a medal and a living once in a lifetime experience.

Comment

Wade is completely right and you guys are completely wrong.

Some people are making a lot of money on their national basketball team because the stars are playing. They make a lot on merchandise and televisionrights.

To say that the players should have no part of this whatsoever and are bad people or morons just for bringing it up is bullocks.

As in collegeball some 'folks', earn like crazy, are they more deserving of this money than the players?

Comment

Soft Euro wrote: View Post

Some people are making a lot of money on their national basketball team because the stars are playing. They make a lot on merchandise and televisionrights.

To say that the players should have no part of this whatsoever and are bad people or morons just for bringing it up is bullocks.

As in collegeball some 'folks', earn like crazy, are they more deserving of this money than the players?
                  To this I say the only compensation they should ever get(if they were to get any) should go straight to a charity of their choice. I would not have a problem with that, it shouldn't go into their pockets. It's the Olympics, for amatuers...

Comment

You know what? No other Olympic athletes get paid. Most other Olympic athletes are amateurs, that's why. What I think they should do is this:

"If you feel you should be paid then don't play. Tell your fellow Americans that you are choosing not to represent your country because we wouldn't pay you money. Explain to them why this is important to you and how you differ from the other hundred athletes who have no problem with it. If enough of you bail then I am sure there are many NCAA stars who would gladly step into your places. There is no debate. I have more important things to deal with, like getting the rest of the many athletes who are devoted to representing their country ready."

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                      You know what? No other Olympic athletes get paid. Most other Olympic athletes are amateurs, that's why.
                      I don't agree with this, I don't think there is even one Dutch athlete going to the Olympics who is an amateur except maybe the boxers, and I even doubt they are real amateurs and at least semi-pro. The Olympics isn't for amateurs since decades.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                        You know what? No other Olympic athletes get paid. Most other Olympic athletes are amateurs, that's why.
                        "
                        Uh, no. Canada, for example, pays its athletes between $20-10,000 for medalling. The Russians pay over $100,000 for gold medals. The USOC also pays bonuses and provides health care coverage and tuition payments for many athletes. Top amateur athletes also have huge sponsorship deals: Phelps got $1 miilion for his 8 gold medals. Usain Bolt has a $30 million deal with Puma and gets paid $500,000 to compete at events. Top amateur athletes will make over $1 million/year through sponsorships, etc. Certain figure skaters, skiers, speedskaters, etc. are multi-millionaires in their teens.

Should NBA players be paid for the Olympics? I don't think so but it's not ludicrous based on how other top amateurs are compensated and it's hardly worthy of the silly outrage in this thread.

Comment

Soft Euro wrote: View Post

The money made from USA Senior Men's Basketball funds every other basketball program Basketball USA offers.

They should not be paid. In my opinion they should be happy to represent their country and give back to the development of the sport and its players in their country.

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
                            Uh, no. Canada, for example, pays its athletes between $20-10,000 for medalling. The Russians pay over $100,000 for gold medals. The USOC also pays bonuses and provides health care coverage and tuition payments for many athletes. Top amateur athletes also have huge sponsorship deals: Phelps got $1 miilion for his 8 gold medals. Usain Bolt has a $30 million deal with Puma and gets paid $500,000 to compete at events. Top amateur athletes will make over $1 million/year through sponsorships, etc. Certain figure skaters, skiers, speedskaters, etc. are multi-millionaires in their teens.

Should NBA players be paid for the Olympics? I don't think so but it's not ludicrous based on how other top amateurs are compensated and it's hardly worthy of the silly outrage in this thread.
                            Wow, really? Then how can they be considered amateurs? Wow, never knew. The whole idea about having amateur status in most sports is that the minute to compete for cash money you lose that status. It goes like that for any major NCAA sports(hockey, football basketball), I know for sure it applies to golf in Canada and hockey in Canada.

And slaw, there is a difference between endorsements and getting paid by a team to play amateur sports.

Comment

I can only assume that both Allen (Iam surprised about him) and Wade spoke without knowing the facts of revenue generated and what happens to it..........

From USA Today...

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baske...aid/54191718/1

Quote:
                              Colangelo explains why NBA players are not paid as Olympians
                              By Jeff Zillgitt, USA TODAY

USA Basketball chairman Jerry Colangelo delivered a calm, measured, multi-pronged rebuttal to NBA players who believe they should be paid for playing for Team USA in the Olympics.

After learning that Miami Heat guard Dwyane Wade and Boston Celtics guard Ray Allen believed players deserve compensation for playing in the Olympics, Colangelo told USA TODAY Sports why players are not paid.

Colangelo prefaced his comments with a disclaimer: He respects opinions, and he did not know the circumstances in which Wade and Allen offered their thoughts.

At the heart of the matter, Colangelo said there is no extra money.

"All of the money that is generated from our participation and the competitions the senior teams participate in in effect subsidizes and pays for the entire U.S. Olympic (basketball) programs and that includes all of the junior programs where most of these players came from," Colangelo said. "Most of them all started there, men and women."

Colangelo took over as chairman of USA Basketball in 2005 following a substandard bronze-medal performance by the men's team at the 2004 Athens Olympics. Not only did the team need direction with management, coaching and player selection, it needed financial help.

"When I took over the program in 2005, they were in a terrible losing situation financially," Colangelo said. "During the next four years, I quadrupled the revenue, but that only brought us to break even. That covers all of the expenses for the men, women, boys and girls, all the way down. We sell sponsorship, sell tickets to exhibition games."

In the process of providing direction, the men's team won gold at the 2008 Beijing Olympics and is the favorite to win gold at this summer's London Olympics.

Colangelo, who will meet with Team USA's coaching staff — head coach Mike Krzyzewski and assistants Mike D'Antoni, Nate McMillan and Jim Boeheim— in early May, also said Team USA players derive tangible and immeasurable benefits from participating.

"Another reality is, most of the players, and in fact until this comment today, I would have said 100% of them, understand that there's some great value to them individually for participating if they so choose to," Colangelo said.

He rattled off those advantages which possibly include financial gains through endorsements.

"The opportunity to represent your country is a privilege without anything further said, that's No. 1," Colangelo said. "No. 2, the experience broadens individuals in every regard and every respect because you experience things you would not have under any other circumstance — the travel, the people you meet.

"Thirdly, the brand. We will live in a global economy. All of our players have shoe contracts and apparel contracts and they're little mini-business onto themselves and in some cases, they're not mini-businesses, they're quite substantial.

"Participation is a privilege that gives their brands a great impetus and most of them really, truly understand that."

Comment

Working...
                              X