NBA Olympians want money now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

akashsingh wrote: View Post
    IMO (and dwayne wade's), he doesn't owe his country anything. Matt, He worked extremely hard to become the basketball player he is today, do you think his country would've given him the tools to succeed if he wasn't an elite basketball talent in the first place? Why should he care about developing other athletes and basketball in the U.S.? That is not his problem.
    Exactly. So if he doesn't want to play for his country out of any sense of pride or honour in his country or if he does not wish to give back to the game that has given him so much, he should just decline the invitation instead of whining about the sacrifices he makes to play. No doubt there are numerous athletes who would accept the honour of representing their country in the world's largest sporting event.

It is only my opinion but I find that point of view very sad. Again, only my opinion.

It is really sad when LeBron James is the voice of reason:

"I love representing my country, man," James said. "I've done it since 2004 and I'm looking forward to doing it in London. As far as [pay], I don't know, man. It doesn't matter. I'm happy to be a part of the team, to be selected again."

http://espn.go.com/nba/truehoop/miam...ns-compensated

Comment

http://www.nba.com/2012/news/04/12/w...s=iref:nbahpt2

He said he was responding to a question about Olympians being paid, and never said he needed to be paid to play.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
        Exactly. So if he doesn't want to play for his country out of any sense of pride or honour in his country or if he does not wish to give back to the game that has given him so much, he should just decline the invitation instead of whining about the sacrifices he makes to play. No doubt there are numerous athletes who would accept the honour of representing their country in the world's largest sporting event.

It is only my opinion but I find that point of view very sad. Again, only my opinion.

It is really sad when LeBron James is the voice of reason:
        agreed, he shouldn't have said anything, not b/c he is wrong but b/c it hurts his image, that is my opinion.

Comment

His answer wasn't just a, "Yes." Context is key.

Read his comments. His comments scream, "Victim!" and, "Woe is me!"
          I disagree, this doesn't scream anything to me; it's a sensible answer, and, altruisticly, he throws in the comparison with collegeplayers where really a whole lot of money is made while the players don't get a fair share.

And, about the context: the journalist leaves out the questions to which Wade replies, he leaves out a big part of the context ...

Comment

Soft Euro wrote: View Post
            I disagree, this doesn't scream anything to me; it's a sensible answer, and, altruisticly, he throws in the comparison with collegeplayers where really a whole lot of money is made while the players don't get a fair share.

And, about the context: the journalist leaves out the questions to which Wade replies, he leaves out a big part of the context ...
            Your opinion.... I respect that. I don't agree with it but I respect it.

The game or system is not bigger than the participants or organizers. The rules are in place for college athletes and Olympians. Outside of dictatorships, these people are not forced to participate in anything they don't want to. A person doesn't want or agree with the scholarship (compensation) that goes along with playing varsity athletics, they don't play. A person doesn't like the terms of participating in the Olympics, then don't.

Wade gives all the reasons why playing is difficult. Getting paid won't change any of those other issues (rest, time, selling jerseys). Clearly Wade benefits in some way from participating in the Olympics. If that is not enough, don't play. Give the opportunity to someone who is going to relish every moment and not think twice about his sacrifices - or how his sacrifices would be easier to take if he was paid.

Comment

IMO (and dwayne wade's), he doesn't owe his country anything. Matt, He worked extremely hard to become the basketball player he is today, do you think his country would've given him the tools to succeed if he wasn't an elite basketball talent in the first place? Why should he care about developing other athletes and basketball in the U.S.? That is not his problem.
              There is delicious irony in this. Some of the leagues, basketball camps, basketball courts in the inner cities may well have been funded by Olympic (jersey) money or local/federal government programs. These are programs that Wade and many others not as talented have taken part in. It was in one of these venues that some scout first noticed his special talents which has led to his current success and riches. His participation once every 4 years is in my view not a lot to do as an act of helping to continue the funding of the very programs he took part in and where he first developed his game.

Like was mentioned before if it is too onerous and he does not see the value of his participation to the less fortunate then he need not participate. "That is not his problem" seems to me not to be a welcome trait of good citizenship.

Comment

Seems like the kitchen got a bit too hot for Wade. He now says he does not want to be paid and was just responding to the question about olympians being paid. These guys dont even have the balls to stand by their statement and conviction. He says its not about the money but this retraction/explanation is really about the money. The blowback must have given Nike or Adidas or who ever he has a shoe contract with probably got him to see the light.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/78...ation-olympics

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
                  There is delicious irony in this. Some of the leagues, basketball camps, basketball courts in the inner cities may well have been funded by Olympic (jersey) money or local/federal government programs. These are programs that Wade and many others not as talented have taken part in. It was in one of these venues that some scout first noticed his special talents which has led to his current success and riches. His participation once every 4 years is in my view not a lot to do as an act of helping to continue the funding of the very programs he took part in and where he first developed his game.

Like was mentioned before if it is too onerous and he does not see the value of his participation to the less fortunate then he need not participate. "That is not his problem" seems to me not to be a welcome trait of good citizenship.
                  like wade said, its not just a minor inconvenience you are putting yourself in, after going through the rigors of the nba season (even moreso if you're a talented player on a team making a deep playoff run), you are putting your body, what you make a living off of at risk by competing for nothing. And if you managed to not sustain an injury competing, you give yourself very little recovery time before the next nba season begins.

And your last point, I believe wade could care less about being a good citizen, what people think is overrated anyways, he's just trying to make money like everyone else.
                  Last edited by akashsingh; Thu Apr 12, 2012, 07:59 PM.

Comment

like wade said, its not just a minor inconvenience you are putting yourself in, after going through the rigors of the nba season (even moreso if you're a talented player on a team making a deep playoff run), you are putting your body, what you make a living off of at risk by competing for nothing. And if you managed to not sustain an injury competing, you give yourself very little recovery time before the next nba season begins.

And your last point, I believe wade could care less about being a good citizen, what people think is overrated anyways, he's just trying to make money like everyone else.
                    Team USA pays for Wade's insurance on his contract. Plus, unless he is a total idiot, he would have insurance against loss of future earnings that would be applicable to injuries to sustained in a car crash, in a pick up game, in an NBA game, in an international game, getting hit by a golf ball, chopping off a finger, etc. If Mary Hart can insure her legs for $1M and a friend who is a doctor have the same type of insurance, then I'm sure Wade has a similar insurance policy. So financially, he has nothing to lose.

The injury angle is one I agree with 100%. If an NBA player feels the same way or the risk is a huge stress and worry, he should not compete.

If representing your country is even considered a minor inconvenience, don't do it. Give the opportunity to someone who will appreciate it for what it is.

I find it funny that few have mentioned the benefits Wade incurs by playing. You don't think being a Gold Medal Olympian increases his profile and endorsement opportunities in the US and on the world stage?

This is just my opinion but the bold section is very sad. I think it speaks volumes to what has become of western culture (not just US but Canada, UK, Europe as well). It is also why professional athletes should not be in the Olympics to begin with.... but then we are in a catch 22 because their participation is what makes them so lucrative and able to fund lesser profile sports on the world stage and individual sports in their home countries. What a pickle it is..... unless people just played for honour, pride, and the chance to give back to something that has given them so much.

But this is all just my opinion. Based on the comments in this thread you either agree or disagree with little middle ground. Oh well.

Comment

If someone doesn't want to play for the national team let them have their way. These things cannot be forced. There is plenty of talent elsewhere to replace them. When they hear the 'boos' coming their way and their sponsorships drying up they will be back begging for a spot. Other national teams are getting better and soon US will no longer be clear favorites. Good competition will generate more interest in international games. The very same fans that idolized you can also bring you down.

Comment

would any other sport other than basketball even think about deserving money to represent their country?

Comment

this depends because he most likely was involved in some sort of grassroots basketball program growing up which is paid by the money raised from the national teams and government donations. and others have been involved in his development to get to where he is.

the nba has the most spoiled athletes in the world and it has happened to them their entire lives. it is why the term developing my brand is used in the nba.

Comment

Soft Euro wrote: View Post

i think that the ncaa and the olympics are not related at all. in the ncaa the colleges try and pass off that why they earn all their money from players by saying they are giving a college education while knowing that they make their money on players who are leaving after 1 year.

they also design the simplest and easiest courses to make sure their recruits meet grade standards that were put in place to stop them from having to actually provide the education they say they are providing. in actuality the only benefit young players have in the ncaa is the chance to work with top notch coaches.

i think that wade answered without thinking or knowing where the profits of usa basketball go to. if anything he should be on telling nike they owe him money for wearing their clothes in the olympics.

the olympics in themselves only make profits for tv companies, advertisers and the tourist industry. if he thinks or others think that the country or programs they are there to represent are profiting off of them then the ncaa really fucked out on its promise to give these players college educations.
                            Last edited by Miekenstien; Fri Apr 13, 2012, 05:42 AM.

Comment

This is an awesome take on the situation in my opinion.

Pay For Play: Miami star Dwyane Wade created a bit of stir yesterday when a reporter ran quotes from Wade suggesting that Olympians, namely USA Basketball players, should be compensated for their efforts.

“It’s a lot of things you do for the Olympics — a lot of jerseys you sell,” Wade said. “We play the whole summer. I do think guys should be compensated. Just like I think college players should be compensated, as well. Unfortunately, it’s not there. But I think it should be something, you know, there for it.”

“The biggest thing is now you get no rest,” Wade said. “So you go to the end of the season, [Team USA] training camp is two weeks later. You’re giving up a lot to do it. It’s something you want to do. But it’s taxing on your body. You’re not playing for the dollar. But it would be nice if you would get compensated.”

— Michael Wallace | ESPN.com
                              A few hours after this story started to get some buzz, Wade put out some clarifying comments via Twitter, suggesting that his comments were a response to a direct questions asking, if he thought Olympians should be compensated.

“What I was referencing is there is a lot of Olympic business that happens that athletes are not a part of – and it’s a complicated issue.

“BUT my love 4 the game & pride 4 USA motivates me more than any $$$ amount. I repped my country in 2004 when we won the bronze medal and stood proudly to receive our gold medal in 2008 in Beijing. It’s always been an honor for me to be a part of the USA Olympic family…and I’m looking forward to doing it again in London this summer.”

— Dwyane Wade via Twitter
                              Now there are a couple of points worth noting.

USA Basketball has a budget of more than $6.8 million annually. These funds cover all of the tournament costs associated with the National team program, which for the Senior team includes every imaginable cost, including food, travel and lodging at the world’s best hotels.

The National team offers training and coaching in the offseason that players would normally be paying fees for.

Almost every Olympian, or would-be Olympian is compensated by their shoe companies for making the team and the endorsement value for an Olympian, especially a gold medal Olympian, is said to be worth more than $1 million per year.

USA Basketball’s financial records are public, and looking at 2011 and 2010, USA basketball isn’t exactly rolling in cash.

Last year, USA Basketball spent $398,833 on the Men’s National team, a year in which Team USA did not play or practice because of the NBA Lockout.

In 2010, USA Basketball won the World Championship in Turkey to the tune of $3,282,623 in costs.

USA Basketball brings in roughly $2.5 million per year in sponsorships and endorsements, closer to $5 million when major events are taking place.

Dwyane Wade commented last night that he thought proceeds from jersey sales and licensing should be shared with the players.

I think [jersey] licensing could be a way … maybe licensing may not be fair because everybody won’t get the same amount. [There] should be some way. But that’s something they’ve got to worry about because this will be my last time around.”

The problem is, that’s where the funds come from to pay for the other programs USA basketball funds.

Even if Team USA were to give the players, say, 20% of their licensing income (In 2010 it was $4,609,120) – would $60,000 really mean anything in the big picture for Dwyane Wade?

What it would mean is that USA Basketball would have to kill off the Women’s Senior Nation Team or stop participating in Under 16 tournaments.

It’s not as if USA Basketball is raking in the billions and not sharing the proceeds.

Maybe Dwyane needs to look at the numbers.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-am-who...an-of-the-year

Comment

This is an awesome take on the situation in my opinion.
                                This is something i can stand behind 100 % (even though I wonder how less high profiled sports organisations pay for these programs not having the sponsorship possibilities of basketball, e.g. volleyball; but that's not a relevant important point for this discussion).

My beef would not be with USA Basketball, but with the money made in other ways by IOC and related organisations. The tickets for the basketball final in London are between about $ 800 and $ 1500 (12.000 seats). That's the most expensive final I could find (this quickly) even though basketball isn't that big of a sport in Brittain. It's the allure of the NBA stars. And that's just on entree fees; a lot more will be made on television rights. USA Basketball won't see a lot (if any) of this money. And than there are sponsorship deals and such by IOC.

Now this wouldn't be bad if the money would be used e.g. to support the organization and to support sports programs. And part of that will be used for that. But IOC (again, like Fifa) isn't historically a morally sound organisation, where the money just is used for people to earn a paycheck. Historically there is a lot of corruption and some people getting filthy rich. I don't know how this situation is ever since Jacques Rogge took over from Samaranch, this is why I refered to Fifa, a comparable organisation, whose boss now is one of the richest people in the World (he must have some sports program lined up for himself). During the Samaranch era there was a lot of (now documented) corruption, going well beyond a statement that there is corruption everywhere.

In short, I would be ok with them not being paid (in fact I'm not an advocator of our football teams getting a bonus for winning a medal at the World or European Championship exactly because our Football Organisation isn't corrupt and this money is being used for the betterment of the sport e.g. by youth and amateur programs). But I'm not ok with the situation (of the athletes not being paid) when there are some people who are getting filthy rich instead of the IOC (and related organisations) using the money for this and other kinds of (social) sport programs. In that case, and I am highly suspicious that this is the case, the question, who deserves this money isn't a weird question (in my opinion).

Comment

Working...
                                X