Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 84

Thread: Countdown to Extinction - tracking the final lottery slot

  1. #1
    Raptors Republic Starter Papa Burgundy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    549
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Countdown to Extinction - tracking the final lottery slot

    Around this time of year I often map out all of the teams close to us in the standings, and see who needs to win/lose what games for us to get into the playoffs (no, there is no point many years.)

    This year, with all the anticipation for the draft class of 2012, i've been anxiously watching who loses!

    As it stands today:

    1. Charlotte: 7-50. Bottom spot, but it's so rare that the team with the most balls actually gets #1.
    2. Washington: 14-44
    3. New Orleans: 16-42
    -That's the bottom three, with almost 100% certainty. After that, there is a glut.

    4. Sacramento: 19-40. Opponents (OKC, Portland, Spurs, OKC, Bobcats, OKC, Lakers) = 2 winnable

    5. Toronto: 20-39. (Boston, ATL, ATL, HEAT, Pistons, Bucks, Nets) = 2 winnable

    6. Cleveland: 19-37. (Pacers, Wiz, Magic, Pistons, sixers, knicks, spurs, griz, wiz, bulls) = 3 winnable

    7. New Jersey: 21-38. (sixers, celtics, HEAT, knicks, bucks, sixers, Raps) = 1 winnable

    8/9. Golden State and Detroit both have 22 wins, and I don't see us passing them at this point.

    Yes, any team can win any night in the NBA - especially if some teams rest stars for the playoffs, but that's the scene.

    My prediction? Cleveland and New Jersey stay ahead of us ... Sacramento stays behind ... 5th spot (SAME spot we were in when we rose to #1 in the lottery to grab Bargnani)
    The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

  2. #2
    Raptors Republic All-Star Balls of Steel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Richmond Hill, ON
    Posts
    1,970
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    My prediction is that we lose all of the remaining games. AB and Jose should be shut down. I'm comfortable with 4th spot.
    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

  3. #3
    Raptors Republic Superstar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    4,951
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Imo you are probably not giving the Pistons enough credit especially since the Raps & Cavs have so many injuries. I fear the Cavs beating us with most losses...the Wiz are better with Nene now.

  4. #4
    Raptors Republic Starter Papa Burgundy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    549
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
    My prediction is that we lose all of the remaining games. AB and Jose should be shut down. I'm comfortable with 4th spot.
    I hope you're right ... 4th would be awesome.
    The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

  5. #5
    Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,344
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Papa Burgundy wrote: View Post
    I hope you're right ... 4th would be awesome.
    4th would be awesome.. except a 4th place team has never once won the lottery. This year could be different.. but a 5th place team has won the lottery a few times.

  6. #6
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,036
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Portland has shut down LaMarcus Aldridge.

  7. #7
    Raptors Republic Veteran LBF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton,ON a.k.a. The Hammer!
    Posts
    5,312
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    If new jersey wins we know it's rigged.

  8. #8
    Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,738
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Jersey should never win in a million year. The only team that should win it after the raps is maybe the bobcats or pistons because they are pretty down right now.

  9. #9
    Raptors Republic Superstar TheGloveinRapsUniform's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Markham, Ontario
    Posts
    2,851
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    Jersey should never win in a million year. The only team that should win it after the raps is maybe the bobcats or pistons because they are pretty down right now.
    dont say never. who wouldve thought the cavs would end up with two top 5 picks. they just botched it.
    the trend seems to be that the usual first 2 worst teams dont end up getting the 1st pick, so hopefully we get lucky this year.
    id rather have the 2nd pick tho and pick MKG.

  10. #10
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,036
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote LBF wrote: View Post
    If new jersey wins we know it's rigged.
    I don't buy the conspiracy theories. Since they have gone to the system they are currently in, I find it impossible to see any rigging. But maybe that is because I lack critical thinking skills..... who knows?

    We can also say that if New Orleans wins it is rigged as they appear to have found a new owner.

    http://www.nola.com/hornets/index.ss...s_makes_i.html

  11. #11
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    281
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    I don't buy the conspiracy theories. Since they have gone to the system they are currently in, I find it impossible to see any rigging. But maybe that is because I lack critical thinking skills..... who knows?

    We can also say that if New Orleans wins it is rigged as they appear to have found a new owner.

    http://www.nola.com/hornets/index.ss...s_makes_i.html
    Unless they dont want it to become TO obvious that its rigged so NO only gets #2

  12. #12
    Raptors Republic Veteran LBF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton,ON a.k.a. The Hammer!
    Posts
    5,312
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    I don't buy the conspiracy theories. Since they have gone to the system they are currently in, I find it impossible to see any rigging. But maybe that is because I lack critical thinking skills..... who knows?

    We can also say that if New Orleans wins it is rigged as they appear to have found a new owner.

    http://www.nola.com/hornets/index.ss...s_makes_i.html
    Chuck Barkley has suspicions New Jersey will win.

    and I trust everything Barkley says cause he's a drunk and alcohol is truth syrum.

    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

    Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

  13. #13
    Raptors Republic Starter draftedraptor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    603
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote tbihis wrote: View Post
    dont say never. who wouldve thought the cavs would end up with two top 5 picks. they just botched it.
    the trend seems to be that the usual first 2 worst teams dont end up getting the 1st pick, so hopefully we get lucky this year.
    id rather have the 2nd pick tho and pick MKG.
    top 5 picks in a bad draft. Irving is top 10 in the current draft. Tristan top 20.

    Its gone all suspiciously quiet in Jordan's camp for sometime. Bobcats to get #1? Hornets have a good chance too with the new ownership. Washington and Sacremento have young rosters with nice pieces. If teams like golden state end up winning the top 5 I would be furious. They have a good team already and they are tanking. I wish toronto had David Lee, Steph curry and Bogut.

    This is the starting lineup I want to see for the remaining games: Gray , Davis, JJ, Demar, Dentmon. We are bound to lose every single game with that lineup. We increase the trade values of JJ, Davis and Demar.

  14. #14
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    351
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    If the Raps really want to tank the final games, they need to shut down Casey.

  15. #15
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    351
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote draftedraptor wrote: View Post
    top 5 picks in a bad draft. Irving is top 10 in the current draft. Tristan top 20.

    Its gone all suspiciously quiet in Jordan's camp for sometime. Bobcats to get #1? Hornets have a good chance too with the new ownership. Washington and Sacremento have young rosters with nice pieces. If teams like golden state end up winning the top 5 I would be furious. They have a good team already and they are tanking. I wish toronto had David Lee, Steph curry and Bogut.

    This is the starting lineup I want to see for the remaining games: Gray , Davis, JJ, Demar, Dentmon. We are bound to lose every single game with that lineup. We increase the trade values of JJ, Davis and Demar.
    Don't be so sure. Have you seen the lineups of the other "tanking" teams? It has become quite ridiculous. This year, motivation to tank is high because AD is a franchise talent, and there aren't any others. Also, I think the talent does drop off quite a bit after the top 6. If you are drafting #7 or lower you have to hope that things work out with a player with a lot of question marks (like PJ3 or T. Jones).

  16. #16
    Raptors Republic All-Star slaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    2,098
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote draftedraptor wrote: View Post
    This is the starting lineup I want to see for the remaining games: Gray , Davis, JJ, Demar, Dentmon. We are bound to lose every single game with that lineup. We increase the trade values of JJ, Davis and Demar.
    That might be the worst starting 5 since the aftermath of the Mighty Mouse era. They've fielded some crappy lineups but that is just awful. I'm not sure if you traded that entire unit you could get more than a couple late second round picks. This season needs to end cause it's getting way too depressing.

  17. #17
    Raptors Republic All-Star Jclaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,548
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    thanks for compiling that. It puts things into perspective for the next few weeks. The raps have done enough to show their worth this year. Time to call it a day (and I go to the games!)

  18. #18
    Raptors Republic Starter Katman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Burlington
    Posts
    233
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    I don't buy the conspiracy theories. Since they have gone to the system they are currently in, I find it impossible to see any rigging. But maybe that is because I lack critical thinking skills..... who knows?

    We can also say that if New Orleans wins it is rigged as they appear to have found a new owner.

    http://www.nola.com/hornets/index.ss...s_makes_i.html
    That's interesting. I was always under the impression (apparently false) that an NFL owner wasn't allowed to own another sports team. Well good for New Orleans! Never liked having the NBA controlling a team, leaves the impression that there is a conflict of interest.

    As for "rigging" the draft, it appears to be next to impossible given the number of people witnessing the selection of the lottery balls in the back room. I think Doug Smith did it a few years ago, but Stern is an Evil Genius.

  19. #19
    Raptors Republic Rookie Toinsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    44
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Bouncepass wrote: View Post
    If the Raps really want to tank the final games, they need to shut down Casey.
    +1 haha

  20. #20
    Raptors Republic Superstar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Richmond Hill, ON
    Posts
    2,798
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    With Bargs out for the rest of the season, I expect us to lost a good majority of our games from here on. 4th is probably my prediction. If not 5th isn't bad...

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •