Countdown to Extinction - tracking the final lottery slot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Countdown to Extinction - tracking the final lottery slot

Around this time of year I often map out all of the teams close to us in the standings, and see who needs to win/lose what games for us to get into the playoffs (no, there is no point many years.)

This year, with all the anticipation for the draft class of 2012, i've been anxiously watching who loses!

As it stands today:

1. Charlotte: 7-50. Bottom spot, but it's so rare that the team with the most balls actually gets #1.
    2. Washington: 14-44
    3. New Orleans: 16-42
    -That's the bottom three, with almost 100% certainty. After that, there is a glut.

4. Sacramento: 19-40. Opponents (OKC, Portland, Spurs, OKC, Bobcats, OKC, Lakers) = 2 winnable

5. Toronto: 20-39. (Boston, ATL, ATL, HEAT, Pistons, Bucks, Nets) = 2 winnable

6. Cleveland: 19-37. (Pacers, Wiz, Magic, Pistons, sixers, knicks, spurs, griz, wiz, bulls) = 3 winnable

7. New Jersey: 21-38. (sixers, celtics, HEAT, knicks, bucks, sixers, Raps) = 1 winnable

8/9. Golden State and Detroit both have 22 wins, and I don't see us passing them at this point.

Yes, any team can win any night in the NBA - especially if some teams rest stars for the playoffs, but that's the scene.

My prediction? Cleveland and New Jersey stay ahead of us ... Sacramento stays behind ... 5th spot (SAME spot we were in when we rose to #1 in the lottery to grab Bargnani)
    The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

My prediction is that we lose all of the remaining games. AB and Jose should be shut down. I'm comfortable with 4th spot.
    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Imo you are probably not giving the Pistons enough credit especially since the Raps & Cavs have so many injuries. I fear the Cavs beating us with most losses...the Wiz are better with Nene now.

Comment

Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
        My prediction is that we lose all of the remaining games. AB and Jose should be shut down. I'm comfortable with 4th spot.
        I hope you're right ... 4th would be awesome.
        The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Comment

Papa Burgundy wrote: View Post
          I hope you're right ... 4th would be awesome.
          4th would be awesome.. except a 4th place team has never once won the lottery. This year could be different.. but a 5th place team has won the lottery a few times.

Comment

Portland has shut down LaMarcus Aldridge.

Comment

If new jersey wins we know it's rigged.
              If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Jersey should never win in a million year. The only team that should win it after the raps is maybe the bobcats or pistons because they are pretty down right now.

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                  Jersey should never win in a million year. The only team that should win it after the raps is maybe the bobcats or pistons because they are pretty down right now.
                  dont say never. who wouldve thought the cavs would end up with two top 5 picks. they just botched it.
                  the trend seems to be that the usual first 2 worst teams dont end up getting the 1st pick, so hopefully we get lucky this year.
                  id rather have the 2nd pick tho and pick MKG.

Comment

LBF wrote: View Post
                    If new jersey wins we know it's rigged.
                    I don't buy the conspiracy theories. Since they have gone to the system they are currently in, I find it impossible to see any rigging. But maybe that is because I lack critical thinking skills..... who knows?

We can also say that if New Orleans wins it is rigged as they appear to have found a new owner.

http://www.nola.com/hornets/index.ss...s_makes_i.html

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                      I don't buy the conspiracy theories. Since they have gone to the system they are currently in, I find it impossible to see any rigging. But maybe that is because I lack critical thinking skills..... who knows?

We can also say that if New Orleans wins it is rigged as they appear to have found a new owner.

Unless they dont want it to become TO obvious that its rigged so NO only gets #2

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post

Chuck Barkley has suspicions New Jersey will win.

and I trust everything Barkley says cause he's a drunk and alcohol is truth syrum.

If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

tbihis wrote: View Post
                          dont say never. who wouldve thought the cavs would end up with two top 5 picks. they just botched it.
                          the trend seems to be that the usual first 2 worst teams dont end up getting the 1st pick, so hopefully we get lucky this year.
                          id rather have the 2nd pick tho and pick MKG.
                          top 5 picks in a bad draft. Irving is top 10 in the current draft. Tristan top 20.

Its gone all suspiciously quiet in Jordan's camp for sometime. Bobcats to get #1? Hornets have a good chance too with the new ownership. Washington and Sacremento have young rosters with nice pieces. If teams like golden state end up winning the top 5 I would be furious. They have a good team already and they are tanking. I wish toronto had David Lee, Steph curry and Bogut.

This is the starting lineup I want to see for the remaining games: Gray , Davis, JJ, Demar, Dentmon. We are bound to lose every single game with that lineup. We increase the trade values of JJ, Davis and Demar.

Comment

If the Raps really want to tank the final games, they need to shut down Casey.

Comment

draftedraptor wrote: View Post
                              top 5 picks in a bad draft. Irving is top 10 in the current draft. Tristan top 20.

Its gone all suspiciously quiet in Jordan's camp for sometime. Bobcats to get #1? Hornets have a good chance too with the new ownership. Washington and Sacremento have young rosters with nice pieces. If teams like golden state end up winning the top 5 I would be furious. They have a good team already and they are tanking. I wish toronto had David Lee, Steph curry and Bogut.

This is the starting lineup I want to see for the remaining games: Gray , Davis, JJ, Demar, Dentmon. We are bound to lose every single game with that lineup. We increase the trade values of JJ, Davis and Demar.
                              Don't be so sure. Have you seen the lineups of the other "tanking" teams? It has become quite ridiculous. This year, motivation to tank is high because AD is a franchise talent, and there aren't any others. Also, I think the talent does drop off quite a bit after the top 6. If you are drafting #7 or lower you have to hope that things work out with a player with a lot of question marks (like PJ3 or T. Jones).

Comment

Working...
                              X